Blazer 1996 model, Passenger side rear last glass broken

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

Qamar
Crew
Crew

Blazer 1996 model, Passenger side rear last glass broken

Post by Qamar »

Hi Guys

Well its a bad news. Someone broke my subject truck passenger side glass. One which is on the extreme right hand side glass at the back side.

I know the agency will fix it right. Wanted to get some information. Is it really difficult to get it back on its place. Some glues are involved in it. Or just clean the surface and mount the new glass on?

Any comments will be highly appreciated

Regards
[/img][/quote]
Qamar
Crew
Crew

Post by Qamar »

Well the new glass is very expensive. I have gone to the scab market. Have found the same glass in a good condation. Have seen that it will be attached with the silicon.

Question is that the old glass is still with the old silcon on till. Will it stick down with the surface of the truck or we have to do some thing else?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

It is adhered with a fast dry urethane designed for mounting windows.

Carefully cut the old window out using a sharp scraper. You can leave a residue of the old urethane on the body metal, just make sure that it is clean. Use a razor blade to clean the window thoroughly. Be careful not to scrape off the primer/UV protection on the glass.

You should find some small spacers in the urethane, these are to keep it from smashing down the sealant too far. There may also some around the edge to center it as well as the possibility of a rubber trim added around the exterior. I am unfamiliar with the exact details.

I am not an expert at glass installation, but can do it in a pinch. It does take some expertise to do a really nice job.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Qamar
Crew
Crew

Post by Qamar »

I think i will get this job by an expert but will keep an eye as per your guidelines.
Thanking you once again for info