Blazer 1996 model, V-6 vortec engine, coolant smell

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

Qamar
Crew
Crew

Blazer 1996 model, V-6 vortec engine, coolant smell

Post by Qamar »

Yesterday while driving on hig speed on the main higway i could feel the coolant smell insude the cabin. Had checked the coolant level in the morning. It had also not decreased. What could be the reson for this smell. It was not constant in the cabin.
My observation is that when ever i had excellerated the truck and took it to 140 Km constantly for 200 KM only then one could feel that smell.
Have recently flushed the sysytem also and have that green coolant now.
Any help will be highly appreciated
Thanking in advance
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Make sure that the passenger side floor is dry. Heater cores have been known to leak. Usually the carpet will be we from the leaking coolant if this is the case.

Any chance that it could just be some spilled coolant burning off in the engine compartment?

I like to hose off the engine when I wash my truck. You might just rinse things off good and see if things get better.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Qamar
Crew
Crew

Blazer 1996 Model, V-6 vortec, Coolant smell

Post by Qamar »

I think you are right. I never washed out the engine compartment with fresh water after changing the old coolant.
Secondly will also keep an eye on the passenger side carpet wetness.
Will update accordingly in a week's time.
Qamar
Crew
Crew

Blazer 1996 model, coolant smell

Post by Qamar »

i dont smell the coolant anymore inside the cabin, every since had washed the engine compartment thoroughly. Maybe it spilled over in the engine compartment during the flushing of the old coolant.

Now if i want to disconnect the heater by taking off the two rubber pipes going from the engine compartment to the fire wall. What should be the method of doing that. Should i have a joinder or an extension which connects the heater pipes, so that the coolant supply should be maintained. Why i am doing that is with the fear i might not be getting the same coolant smell, as i am moving with my family on a long route which in terms of distance will be 6000 Km.
Secondly at my place we never use the heater throughout the year as it is very hot over here.
Any help will be highly appreciated
Regards
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Definitely a good question and I remember times when the hoses going to your heater core through the firewall into the passenger compartment had to be temporarily disconnected due to a leaking heater core.

Although your climate is hot and you never utilize the heater you may want to conceder leaving it hooked up. There maybe times when your engine begins to overheat for one reason or another.

Rolling down your windows and turning your heat on full blast acts like a smaller second radiator and may assist you to cool the motor down to a manageable temperature where you can reach a safe location to stop.

Very uncomfortable on a hot day but, it has worked for me I when was miles or kilometers from assistance.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Qamar
Crew
Crew

Post by Qamar »

I appreciate the tip given by you that if the heater pipes are disconnected for good then there is no chance to cool down the engine if it gets hot due to any reason.
So now i am going to leave the system as it is, but will keep a close look at the drop of coolant or any smell coming out in the cabin.
Thanking you once again
weaselmf

Post by weaselmf »

Check on the top of the engine where the intake meets the valve covers. These engines have a strange type of intake manifold gasket and they will crack. I could just barely see some coolant sitting in this area. I retorqued the intake bolts and so far it has fixed the problem.
Qamar
Crew
Crew

Post by Qamar »

Will check out on the coming weekend & update you accordingly