Dex-cool recall?

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Dex-cool recall?

Post by AZS10Crew »

I read over on another board that GM is recalling all of their vehicles back to 1995 due to durability issues caused by Dex-Cool. Has anyone else heard or seen anything about this?

Here's a link to a story about Dex-Cool problems.

http://www.nbc4.tv/newslinks/2369813/detail.html

I think I just found a weekend project I need to take care of ASAP.
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
smokinjoe
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by smokinjoe »

thats it i'm dumping that feces out of my truck soon! :x
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The Dex was developed with good intentions. It does have inhanced corrosion inhibitors, reduced tendency to cavatate , and was designed to last longer, there by being better for the environment.

There are many people having no problems with the Dex. I do believe when properly maintained and changed every two years (not five) it will perform well.

Use only distilled water for dilution, purge all air from the system, allow no chance of air introduction(hose clamp, rad. cap, etc.), Change and flush if overheated and maintain a full coolant recovery tank at all times.

All that being said, I have been running the green since I made the change to the bigger radiator.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

No problems here. I'll just run it to 100k miles and flush it. I'll give you a full report in a couple years. :lol:
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

quickbiker wrote:No problems here. I'll just run it to 100k miles and flush it. I'll give you a full report in a couple years. :lol:

thats what i was thinking...but i do keep a close eye on it
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
Qamar
Crew
Crew

Blazer 1996 Model, V-6 vortec needs Raditor flush

Post by Qamar »

I have gone through your comments. Thanks for your feedback. Let me tell you that i have recently purchased this truck which have done 84000 KM. The truck is imported from Japan, and is in a very good shape.
Well when i had opened the raditor cap, the Dexcool level had gone down, wherein the resiour bottle was showing full. The raditor cap was full of mud and sticky sand sort of thing, and i can see the raditor aslo full off rust kind of gum material. I personally think that it is high time to change it now.
So going through your comments and replies, it seems if i still flush the system throughly with water and then again Dexcool should be used it will not effect the engine at all. And i am going to flush out this system every year.
I will request you once again to guide me that should i go for the Dexcool or any other tradational green coolant after flushing the system with water.
Waiting for your professional replies.
Regards
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

a2b wrote:
quickbiker wrote:No problems here. I'll just run it to 100k miles and flush it. I'll give you a full report in a couple years. :lol:

thats what i was thinking...but i do keep a close eye on it
It's what you can't see that will start causing problems first. This stuff is notorious for clogging the heater core and radiator passages. When I switched over to green @ 20k miles there was already a little sludge/slime build up in the overflow tank! When your car or trucks heater stops working, or if you start overheating one day it will already be too late. :wink:

Steve
Qamar
Crew
Crew

Blazer 1996 Model, V-6 vortec needs Raditor flush

Post by Qamar »

I am left with no option then to change from Dexcool to any Green coolant. Lets see and try our luck. Actually the truck have never over heated todate. Maybe everything goes fine after flushing the raditor and having Green product in it.
Regards
JimmyDiamond
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by JimmyDiamond »

I had the Dex-Crap flushed out of the Jimmy last summer and replaced with green stuff. I also added a bottle of Water Wetter.
[size=75]2002 S-10 ZQ8- Too much to list= SOLD - 2003 Bonneville SLE - [url=http://images9.fotki.com/v187/photos/4/41590/841111/DSC00158-vi.jpg]2000 Jimmy Diamond Edition[/url] - 2006 Trailblazer LT V8 - 2006 Malibu SS[/size]
Crew02
Crew
Crew

Post by Crew02 »

Well my truck is a 2002 and I have just turned 90,000 miles. I had the coolant flushed last week. After three years and 90,000 miles it was still clear and not clouded. I actually had to insist to have it flushed because the service guy didn't think it needed it. So I cannot complain about the dex-cool at all.
[size=75]2002 Crewcab - Best Mod XM Radio, 2" Body Lift, 30 X 9.5 BFG Long Trail, Factory Locker, T-Bar Crank , Rear Shackles. ORI PreRunner Bar, Hella 500 Lights.
1990 Jeep Wrangler, ARB lockers front/Rear, Winches Front/rear,4" suspension Lift, 2" body lift, 35" BFG Mud TA's, Geared 4:56.
Amateur Radio Operator KC4-IKR[/size]
Qamar
Crew
Crew

Post by Qamar »

Most probably your raditor cap was changed by you well in time, so there were no air pockets in the system. Lucky You :D