slippage

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

Maximous
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

slippage

Post by Maximous »

i am having a problem with turning a corner then speeding back up, sometimes when i hit the gas it revs for a second or two then kicks back in, it is the same feeling as when the locker kicks in but neither tire is spinning until it kicks?????

Any Help
[size=75]Driver carries no money, he's a Government employee[/size]
Maximous
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Maximous »

sorry let me clarify,

when i turn then accel, the rear wheels act as if they are not locked in, niether, the truck just revs for a second or to then it locks back in,

does that help any?

any ideas as to what is wrong?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Have you serviced the transmission , and/or rear differential?

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

Let me guess. It does this right around 16-20 mph, right? I think you'll find it does it while going straight too. Just watch the speedo and slow down to the same speed you corner at and then hit the gas. It'll probably still do it. Mine has done this since day 1. It's the tranny. More accurately it's the computer controlling the shifts. I heard some rumor once of a software update that was supposed to fix it. I took it back to the dealer numerous times and each time I got the classic "can't duplicate problem" nonsense. I finally did what I really shouldn't have done and just gave up and now it's out of warranty. Since my wife pretty much "owns" it now, she just drives it. It doesn't bother her.
kf6kmx
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kf6kmx »

Rusty wrote:Let me guess. It does this right around 16-20 mph, right? I think you'll find it does it while going straight too. Just watch the speedo and slow down to the same speed you corner at and then hit the gas. It'll probably still do it. Mine has done this since day 1. It's the tranny. More accurately it's the computer controlling the shifts. I heard some rumor once of a software update that was supposed to fix it. I took it back to the dealer numerous times and each time I got the classic "can't duplicate problem" nonsense. I finally did what I really shouldn't have done and just gave up and now it's out of warranty. Since my wife pretty much "owns" it now, she just drives it. It doesn't bother her.
Same here.. I get it a lot on the way to work.. Going in at 6am through the 'back roads' I hit a couple signal lights that have a habbit of sensing and changing JUST as I get to the line and it does it all the time.. Usually around 10 to 15mph.. It has the feeling of a 'trany drop' in an old car..
Only once have I noticed it in 4hi.. Was on a slight hill and taking off uphill it slipped for a second before it caught..

Also got the 'cant find anything' routing and gave up (now out of warranty here also).. I wonder if one of the 'performance programmers' that also changes shift points helps?
[size=75]-Scott-----'03 CrewCab S10 - Pewter
[url]http://www.kf6kmx.net/s10tracker.asp[/url]<-- Follow this link to find my trucks current actual location! Updated whenever the ignition is on. (tracker radio is currently intermittant) Pioneer XM, MagnaFlow, Garmin GPS,Tornado AMS , APRS Tracker, 2m/440 Ham Radio, Vista Camper Shell (from SoCalDave) , JottoDesk laptop mount, Rancho 5000's, Revo 235 75R15 on stock rims[/size]
Retep
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Retep »

I also have this problem creep up every now and then. It really does feel like a neutral drop. When I sense it, I try to get off the gas and let it do its thing and not slam harshly into gear or what ever it slams into.

The dealer has also given me the "can't duplicate problem" when I have brought it to their attention.

I need to take it in to the dealer for a full trans fluid purge and filter change after an adventure I had this past weekend. I had to drive a few miles in 16" of snow to rescue my father. When I got there the tranny smelled pretty bad. My fluid still has nice color to it but it smells a little burnt and metalicy. I will ask the dealer about any software upgrades at that time.

Pete
[size=75][url=http://photobucket.com/albums/v179/retep910/S10/]2002 S10 Ext. Cab 4x4 Indigo Blue[/url]
Extang Black Max Tonneau, Rubber Bed Mat, Vent Visors, Bugflector II, SilverStar headlights, Dark Window Tint, Disabled DRL, Debadged, K&N Filter, Skid Plates, 1.25" Rear Wheel Spacers, Boise 3 aal kit, mild T-bar crank, Dueler A/T Revo[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

If you're looking for another excuse to get a HPPIII, this may be one.

The shiftfirmness, and adjusted shift points may be of help.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

HenryJ wrote:If you're looking for another excuse to get a HPPIII, this may be one.

The shiftfirmness, and adjusted shift points may be of help.

I have an HPPIII and tried changing the shift points around, etc. About all I noticed was the problem seemed to go away for a day or two but then would come right back. It's almost like it "learns to misbehave" (kind of like my kids :lol: ). I've just learned to deal with it. I do like Retep and get off the throttle whenever I feel it starting to do it's little routine.
Last edited by Rusty on Tue Dec 28, 2004 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

Mine has does same thing as long as I have owned it as well. After 63k miles it hasn't gotten any worse or any better. So, I figured that's just how it's supposed to work.
kf6kmx
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kf6kmx »

barch97 wrote:Mine has does same thing as long as I have owned it as well. After 63k miles it hasn't gotten any worse or any better. So, I figured that's just how it's supposed to work.
I havent driven it to see, but I have a friend with an '03 Avalanche (bought it 3 weeks after I got my truck, same dealer) and he says he's getting the same thing.. He has the other transfer case with the auto-4x4 so we know its definetly not in the transfer case (didnt think it was anyway, but that confirmed it).
I'm wondering if its either in the TPS switch, or a pressure switch on the trany itself..Since a lot of trucks do it, it seems like its a design flaw in a sensor someplace more than a 'malfunction'.
[size=75]-Scott-----'03 CrewCab S10 - Pewter
[url]http://www.kf6kmx.net/s10tracker.asp[/url]<-- Follow this link to find my trucks current actual location! Updated whenever the ignition is on. (tracker radio is currently intermittant) Pioneer XM, MagnaFlow, Garmin GPS,Tornado AMS , APRS Tracker, 2m/440 Ham Radio, Vista Camper Shell (from SoCalDave) , JottoDesk laptop mount, Rancho 5000's, Revo 235 75R15 on stock rims[/size]
ludwis
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ludwis »

I am noticing a pattern here....

Mine does it too
2003 S10 Crew 4x4
Mods: 1.5" Front Spacers - GM Valley Hitch - WeatherTech WeatherFlectors - Bilstein Shocks - Boise Spring works 2" rear spring kit - Truxedo Toneau Cover - PopLock tailgate lock - Hypertech Tuning - SKIDS Flares - 2" Body Lift - ZR2 Axle upgrade
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

Yup mine also
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
Maximous
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Maximous »

well then, since this is something we can all learn from i guess i will go see the only mechanic i actually trust, and it just so happens to be a tranny guy, this guy is brilliant with trannys, maybe he will have dealt with this problem or at least be able to disect it. HUA