Strange Noises

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

TC

Strange Noises

Post by TC »

Sorry if this is long....

I have a 2002 C.C. and already over 22K miles. I've had a few of the problems that some people on the forum have mentioned such as the whistling noise when shifting gears around 2500 rpm. Took it to the local dealer and they fixed it temporarily. It now is coming back but not as much as before. Now it only happens from 2nd to 3rd gear and rarely 3rd to 4th. I don't know if anyone has heard of any fixes, but I am all ears if so.

Second, I've also had a problem hearing a slight nocking sound when I accelerate and brake. It seems to be coming from the front right passenger door hinge area or somewhere behind front right tire. It almost sounds like something is loose and nocking back and forth. I also took that to dealer and they fixed it temporarily but now it's coming back again. Any words?

Third, the rear suspension started to make some squeeking noises on bumps. I thought it might be coming from the leaf springs, bushings, or possibly shocks? I've read about some people's stock shocks going out at an early age but not sue if this is it. I want to say the overall ride is getting a little rougher like the shocks could be sacking but I could be wrong.

Any advice would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Todd
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Just some of my thoughts on what to look for.

The whistle I don't know what to help you with there.

The knock in the right front- Suspect the hood hinge, some one had suggestions for a quick fix or test, I think it involved placing a piece of hose to kinda wedge it. The GM warranty fix is to add spring washers to the hinge bolt, I think.

Or if it is a deeper sound , lube the Torsion bar sockets, they can pop and thump around when going F to R.

Rear- Shocks are very likely(look for any oil leaking). Have someone bounce it . so you can lay under it and listen. It could also be the spring eye bushings, a little silicone spray will fix that.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

hey TC!!!!!!!!!

sup, welcome to the site. so you are in LA!!!

whoo hoo. now that makes about 5 of us locals.

we have been talking about getting together to do a little off road trail one weekend. are you up for it?
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
TC

Strange Noises

Post by TC »

Thanks for the advice HenryJ. I'll look into that. The dealership never explained what the reason was or even how they fixed it. My bad for not asking them. I've never noticed any oil leaking from the shocks, but I'll check the bushings too.

Hey a2b, yep I'm from LA. I've only seen a few C.C.'s here so you were probably one of them! I haven't done any off road trails with this thing but I'm up for it. I'm a virgin when it comes to this kind of stuff so you'll have to bare with me.
dhawke
Crew
Crew

Strange Noises...I've gottem'

Post by dhawke »

The noise that people have explained as the hood hinge, I have too. Except mine is in the left side of the cab. I've looked at the hinge, and I still don't see what might be swinging around and making the noise.

Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks.
Jim

Re: Strange Noises...I've gottem'

Post by Jim »

dhawke wrote:The noise that people have explained as the hood hinge, I have too. Except mine is in the left side of the cab. I've looked at the hinge, and I still don't see what might be swinging around and making the noise.

Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks.

Stuff some foam rubber in their & shut the hood. That will be the tell-tail if it's the hinge.
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
Swbari00
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Swbari00 »

hey the squeaky suspension...mine did that too, expect it wasn't the suspension it was the emergency brake cable. The shielding(?) around the cable was rubbing against some sort of bracket. It was located just a little in front of the rear-drivers side tire. I found it by having someone sit on the tailgate and jump up and down while i got on the ground listening. It was a loud squeak too, i could hear it inside while i was driving. Maybe that will help, who knows.
SOLD! 2003 Zr5 black. Alpine CDA-9831 cd with iPod adapter, JL Audio VR650-CSi (6.5" componets in front doors), JL Audio 8 W-3, Sony 260G. Air box mod, Flowmaster 40 dual exhaust.

Now a Scion xD with lots of audio stuff!
smokinjoe
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by smokinjoe »

for the hood hinge if youd like you probably adjust the little rubber stops in the front up or down a little bit to maybe make the hood sit a little differnt, when i put my bug guard on i had to adjust my hood down so it would latch even though its still a pain in the behind to shut it, it not quite even with the fenders but its not a big deal to me,heck i dont even notice it anymore
"Aim towards the Enemy." -Instruction printed on US Rocket Launcher
2bunik
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2bunik »

smokinjoe wrote: it not quite even with the fenders but its not a big deal to me,heck i dont even notice it anymore
old age kicking in there joe? :shock: :lol:
[size=75]TARMAC TRENDZ car club
2003 GMC Zr5 maroon or somethingto it.
Two 10s in a custom box and Pioneer Premier 400w amp, Quad mod,Body lift, bed light.
http://www.tarmactrendz.vze.com/[/size]
smokinjoe
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by smokinjoe »

no...... just stupidity :?
"Aim towards the Enemy." -Instruction printed on US Rocket Launcher
Ken
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Ken »

Swbari00 wrote:hey the squeaky suspension...mine did that too, expect it wasn't the suspension it was the emergency brake cable. The shielding(?) around the cable was rubbing against some sort of bracket. It was located just a little in front of the rear-drivers side tire. I found it by having someone sit on the tailgate and jump up and down while i got on the ground listening. It was a loud squeak too, i could hear it inside while i was driving. Maybe that will help, who knows.

You are right on, I had the exact same issue and exact same noise. I thought it was sway bar bushings in the front. But it was the brake cables/shielding in the left rear wheel well area. Very loud and frustrating.
[size=75]2003 GMC ZR5, Rancho RSX shocks, Boise Rear Springs; and 1.25" TB crank.[/size]
Mat73GNZ
Crew
Crew

Post by Mat73GNZ »

Ken wrote:
Swbari00 wrote:hey the squeaky suspension...mine did that too, expect it wasn't the suspension it was the emergency brake cable. The shielding(?) around the cable was rubbing against some sort of bracket. It was located just a little in front of the rear-drivers side tire. I found it by having someone sit on the tailgate and jump up and down while i got on the ground listening. It was a loud squeak too, i could hear it inside while i was driving. Maybe that will help, who knows.

You are right on, I had the exact same issue and exact same noise. I thought it was sway bar bushings in the front. But it was the brake cables/shielding in the left rear wheel well area. Very loud and frustrating.
Yup, I had the same thing shortly after buying the truck! I have to figure out a permanent fix for this, because the sound is coming back.

!M!
'02 Crew Cab
'73 Datsun 240Z with Buick Grand National engine swap
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Mat73GNZ wrote:
Ken wrote:
Swbari00 wrote:hey the squeaky suspension...mine did that too, ...it was the emergency brake cable. ...
...I had the exact same issue and exact same noise. ...it was the brake cables/shielding in the left rear wheel well area. ...
Yup, I had the same thing shortly after buying the truck! I have to figure out a permanent fix for this, because the sound is coming back.
Me four..., same problem. I used some zip-ties to tie them together.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK