1st into 2nd

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

Justin
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

1st into 2nd

Post by Justin »

I've heard that our transmissions are strong but I am beginning to worry about mine. I continue checking the transmission fluid and it looks ok but the truck shifts into 2nd real harsh. It revs high in first then grabs 2nd real quick and kind-of jerks you into the seat. Any recomendations on what I shoudl do. I was considering a transmission cooler just to lengthen its lifetime for summer driving and an external B&M shift kit....
[size=75]05 Sierra LLY "Silver Bull"[/size]
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

If you get a shift kit, get the internal Trans-Go one...it's better than the external B&M one. There's people here that like the HPPIII's shifting adjustments too.
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
Justin
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Justin »

how much work is involved for installing the internal trans-go?
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

Probably about 4-6 hours...depending on how comfortable you are with tranny valve bodies and such. It's about a 3-4 hour job at a tranny shop. The kit comes with a video that details the install. I got about 2 minutes into the video and said "Nope...not for me." :mrgreen:
[size=75]Mark
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

AZS10Crew wrote:Probably about 4-6 hours...depending on how comfortable you are with tranny valve bodies and such. It's about a 3-4 hour job at a tranny shop. The kit comes with a video that details the install. I got about 2 minutes into the video and said "Nope...not for me." :mrgreen:
When I did this on my 96 Impala SS ( same transmission as the Crew Cab ) it took me about 8 hours, but I was working very slow to make sure everything was done right ( triple checking everything ). I would say that 4-6 hours is very doable. It was not hard to do, but there are a lot of steps and the most important thing to remember is to keep everything very clean. I haven't done it on my Crew yet because of the warranty. This shift kit will void your warranty if something goes wrong with the tranny. The Hypertech PP-III, and B&M shift improver are better options until your warranty expires. Hope this helps. :)
Justin
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Justin »

where can I buy and how much?
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

They're available lots of different places online. Usually around $100-$125 I think. That's what they were 2 years ago anyway. :)

Edit:Summit has them for $110 plus shipping.
[size=75]Mark
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: 1st into 2nd

Post by HenryJ »

Justin wrote:I've heard that our transmissions are strong but I am beginning to worry about mine. I continue checking the transmission fluid and it looks ok but the truck shifts into 2nd real harsh. It revs high in first then grabs 2nd real quick and kind-of jerks you into the seat. Any recomendations on what I shoudl do. I was considering a transmission cooler just to lengthen its lifetime for summer driving and an external B&M shift kit....
How many miles on it? Have you done a flush and filter? That would be the first thing I'd do.
Do you have oversized tires? If so have you recalibrated for the difference? You know that the PCM uses the VSS to shift , right? That could account for some problems starting in the overworked transmission.

I'd do the Hypertech, it just has so many more options.
The cooler is a must do, IMO.
Unless you are very heavy footed, or tow all the time, the internal shift kit would not be my first choice.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Justin
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Justin »

just hit 40k on the transmission and have not had the flush. i do have oversize 31's with the stock 3.42's...
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Flush and filter that trans.
Recalibrate the speedometer so that the Vehicle Speed Sensor is correct, and see if that helps.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
marks10cc
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by marks10cc »

I had a similar problem with stock everything and 7,500 miles. The dealer (warranty work) reset my TAP's. Just disconnect the battery and pull all of the tranny fuses for 30 mins or so (it doesn't take that long, but you know it's safe). It helped my hard shift from 1-2 and my slip from 2-1. It took about 25 miles afterwards for the tranny to feel normal since it has to relearn all of the adjustment points. Just a free suggestion to add to the must change fluid and filter... the recommended 30K is too many, IMO.

Edit: On second thought, did they do that with a scan tool?
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Re: 1st into 2nd

Post by quickbiker »

Justin wrote:I've heard that our transmissions are strong but I am beginning to worry about mine. I continue checking the transmission fluid and it looks ok but the truck shifts into 2nd real harsh. It revs high in first then grabs 2nd real quick and kind-of jerks you into the seat. Any recomendations on what I shoudl do. I was considering a transmission cooler just to lengthen its lifetime for summer driving and an external B&M shift kit....
Sounds like you're low on tranny fluid. Check it while it's warmed up and running. Uses DexIII.
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
Justin
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Justin »

Is it easy to drain the transmission fluid and change the filter yourself? Or roughly how much would it cost to have done?
kwalsh
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kwalsh »

Justin wrote:Is it easy to drain the transmission fluid and change the filter yourself? Or roughly how much would it cost to have done?
it's not hard at all. save yourself the $$ and do it yourself. the only
thing annoying is that some of the bolts on the pan are a bit of a pain to
get at. but before you do the change, get yourself a deep sump filter
and a new pan with a plug or get a plug kit & mod the OEM
[size=75]"Pain = weakness leaving the body."[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Justin wrote:Is it easy to drain the transmission fluid and change the filter yourself? Or roughly how much would it cost to have done?
Check out this thread: Transmission service
FYI- We have the deep pan

Filter/fluid/SeaFoam TransTune = $25 ( ? )

Dump in the SeaFoam TransTune run it for 10-15 minutes to break loose the varnish and deposits, change your filter, refill, then take it to a quick lube and have them flush it.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
NTXCrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by NTXCrew »

The 1995 Pontiac Grand Am I "inherited" when my wife and I were married has about 80,000 miles on it and, to my knowledge, had never had much done to the transmission (a new GM engine in 1998, though... :D ). Last oil change I decided to have the lube shop do a flush- it's pretty cool.
I don't know if this is common or not, but they hooked up this giant machine with a big piston inside of it to the car, filled the machine with gallons and of new tranny fluid, started the car, and then proceeded to pump the new stuff in and force out all the old fluid completely. They ran more through it than was actually needed to refill it. The hoses were clear and there was a window in the machine. Needless to say, I was pretty disgusted with what was coming out of the car! :puke:
Short and sweet version: it ran me about $70, but the tranny shifts awesome and they were able to remove way more of the junk and metal pieces and old tranny fluid than by simply draining it.
2003 S-10 Crew Cab - Indigo Blue Metallic
Flowmaster 40 w/ turndown, Chopped Airbox, APC clear corners, Trenz billet bowtie, Shaved badges, Sylvania Silverstars, Xenon fogs
-Jim