Rattle noise 2003 crew cab 4.3

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

rick woodruff

Rattle noise 2003 crew cab 4.3

Post by rick woodruff »

I just bought a 2003 crew cab s10 this year. It had a rattle sound at 18 to 22 rpms. The dealer told me when they checked it that it was normal. So I thought I was just going to have to live with it. A friend that works at a gm dealership tells me that the 4.3 timing gear tensoiner would make that noise if it wasnt right and it would let the chain and gears wear out . They were suprised when I told them at the dealership That I new what was wrong with my truck. The manger got on the P C and there it was GM had posted it. It was posted 99 thru 2003 4.3. He ordered the parts put them in. NO MORE NOISE maybe this will help someone out there. ITS NOT NORMAL BUT IF THEY CAN GET YOU TO believe IT TILL THE warranty IS OUT THEY WILL
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

Keep taking it back till you are satisfied and document it. Dealers suck man. If anything, maybe you can get an exchange with the lemon law before warranty is up if they can't fix it. Good luck!

And welcome to the board!
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
kwalsh
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kwalsh »

was this rattle sound a tapping sound, something like how an engine
with a bad plug would tap loud but just much softer
[size=75]"Pain = weakness leaving the body."[/size]
marks10cc
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by marks10cc »

It's the infamous counter balance shaft noise. You can find a picture of the parts involved and the actual TSB here.

http://www.s-10crewcab.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=1226

I thought someone mentioned that GM isn't doing the fix anymore, though, because it comes back over time. Is this TSB invalid now? (meaning we will get 'Normal Operation' from the dealers now)
Socaldave
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Socaldave »

Taking mine in next week for the Balance Shaft,chain tensioner kit. I am tired of listening to that rattle/growling noise at about 1800 rpm.............The dealer did not even know of this kit untill I gave him the info posted on this forum!
Black03ZR5
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Black03ZR5 »

Socaldave wrote:Taking mine in next week for the Balance Shaft,chain tensioner kit. I am tired of listening to that rattle/growling noise at about 1800 rpm.............The dealer did not even know of this kit untill I gave him the info posted on this forum!
Read this thread: http://www.s-10crewcab.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1382
The balance shaft fix kit is no more. It didn't solve the problem, and as far as GM is concerned they put it out as a favor to those who have complained, and since it didn't work they have nothing to say other than it is normal and will not cause any problems.
Dave
Black03ZR5
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Black03ZR5 »

I just talked to my dealer, a new fix came out on 12-31.
Dave