03s vs 02s

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

Jim

03s vs 02s

Post by Jim »

Noticing differences between 02s & 03s...

Today I stopped at my Chevy dealer, the 2003 non ZR5s seem to have body color painted bumpers & a different style lower front valance with two little bumper guards. Is that how 03s CCs all are? I chose the Chevy over the GMC because I liked the chrome...now It seems none have chrome. I also noticed the cloth interior now is a plain linen type material not patterned velour. :?
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

Yeah, I think the "LS" Chrome bumpers are gone on the 03 now and replaced by the base bumpers(but color matched). I heard about the different interior materials but have not seen an 03 upclose yet. Only other major change I know of is that the 4.3 engine had some tweaks and many standard items are now options(fog lights, vanity mirrors, rear sliding glass, compact spare tire, etc.). One thing I noticed on chevy.com is that the 6disc CD radio says it's has BOSE speakers. My 02 sticker does not say BOSE so that might be a change as well. New rebates I've seen are 0% AND $1,000 cash back or $2,000 Rebate AND $1,000 cash back.

Cheers,

Con
[size=75]2007 Hummer H3 all Stock
Sold: 2004 Chevy Avalanche Z71 all Stock.
Sold: 2002 Chevy S10 Crew Cab ZR5 - Mods: Truxedo Bed Cover, APC and TYC Lights.[/size]
Jim

Post by Jim »

Engine Tweaks...I'd be interested in hearing about that, I know those of us with 02s don't have EGR.
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

I'd be curious to know about engine tweeks too. I don't know of any one mine. :?

The cloth interior is different though. I like it better than the 02's. It's kind of like a soft canvas-type material. I think it will show wear much less than the fluffier velour on the 02's, but only time will tell on that one.

The 03's have less standard features too (as mentioned above). Mine didn't come with full-size spare, sliding rear window, or rearview mirror with lights. Still had heated outside mirrors though...not too useful in AZ though. :)

The front grill, bumpers, etc. are all body color on mine too. I like that better than the chrome personally because I'm more of a monochrome person. To each his own I guess.

I really need to get some pics taken of the truck to post on here. Maybe once I get motivated enough to wash it I will. :D
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

According to a few websites, a new Fuel-Injection system. Probably just to meet new emissions standards.

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2003/chevrol ... id=lin0006

What's New for 2003

The S-10 gets few changes for what will be the final year of production of the current model. There's new cloth upholstery for the seats and door panels, a new fuel-injection system for the 4.3-liter V6 and a sport package for crew cab models.
[size=75]2007 Hummer H3 all Stock
Sold: 2004 Chevy Avalanche Z71 all Stock.
Sold: 2002 Chevy S10 Crew Cab ZR5 - Mods: Truxedo Bed Cover, APC and TYC Lights.[/size]
Joseph
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Joseph »

I like my '02 better than '03. The only thing that I wish is the ZR5's came out in the begining of the '02 model year, instead mid-year. I would of bought a '02 GMC Sonoma ZR5 in Yellow. That's is what I really wanted to begin with. Oh well. JH68
Jim

Post by Jim »

The body color bumpers look like a cost saving item, Painted metal & no black protective strip. A good look at the cloth seats in the daylight reminds me of the imitation canvas used on the jeep Sahara CJs ten years ago. The leather interior probably has the same canvas like cloth on the door panels, Which it should be vinyl like the blazers w/ leather. I don't mean to fuss but I really like my 02, I prefer the chrome bumpers like the big trucks.
Best Regards, Jim
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

No worries...to each his own. Like my dad used to say...if everyone liked Fords, what would Chevy do? :D
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Some differences that I noticed on Melloyellow's crew:

Headliner has recesses and contours not found on the 2001.

The door weatherstrip has been changed to cover the unfinished edge of the headliner.

The EVAP canister has been relocated and is larger.

The gas tank is smaller and plastic.

Stereo, and center floor console. (I like the center console)

Intake manifold, EGR system.

4x4 actuator cable seems to be longer.

Yellow one had only primer under the bedliner (no paint) and the rear inner fenders had a pretty light coat of paint.

Trans. seems to shift a little firmer.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Dragonmaster
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Dragonmaster »

The new fuel injection system is only a different type of injector on the same setup and programming as the old ones. They were having troubles with the old style injectors micro-pitting and becoming faulty so they went to a multec injector across the board in late 2002, 2003 for all models in the gm lineup.
[size=75]1 of 6 Wheatland Yellow Sonoma's in Canada

[url=http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4290324509]Truck Pics[/url][/size]