We are back!

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

We are back!

Post by HenryJ »

Maybe nobody noticed I was gone?
Ever since Moab it has been out tradition to go exploring in celebration of Columbus Day. We took a few days or so and headed north. Cold? Maybe a little.
Our destination was a small lake north of Halfway Oregon. Fish Lake.
Out of town fairly early. Breakfast at Mickey-D and iced up at the Fire station we hit the road.
We took the north road through Idaho with plans to loop south through Oregon on the return trip. Pit stop at Midvale Hills rest stop:

Image Image

Brownlee Dam

Image Image Image Image

Basecamp was wonderful. Enough sun to keep us all charged up for the next night easily.

Image Image

Crossing the Snake river below the dam we are back in Oregon. A right turn and soon the pavement ends...

Image Image

Our first stop is Twin Lakes. Beautiful high mountain lakes. Peat shores and islands. Like walking on a sponge.

Image Image Image Image

Less than five miles more we arrive at Fish lake. No one around today we choose to camp beside a road into the lake. Easy access for canoeing.

Image Image

The first morning was cool. Ice all around the lake.

Image Image

The moist shores of the lake would freeze each morning and push up the ice crystals. As the sun warmed the shore it would crawl with life as they melted.

As the weekend turned to week day the weather continued to warm. Fish Lake is at 6200 ft. and when it was calm it was almost short sleeve weather.

Image Image

Day one under our belts...Ziploc bag omlets, OreIda hashbrowns and bacon for breakfast. Washed down with Coffee and YooHoo :)

Off we go in the Avalanche to explore...

Image Image Image Image

Incorrectly marked on our Topo maps we did finally find the top of Russel Mountain and the now condemned look out tower.

Image Image

Made of large wood timber, now weathered and split. Held in place by large 1 1/2" cables it towers 100' above us.

Image Image

Elevation was 7500' here. For the decent I decided to try four low. This is where we found it would not shift into low range. :( Four high was working , but low range kept shifting or popping out never fully seating in gear. Not a good thing.

Back to camp we head. Lots of time for hiking and exploring around the lake.

Image Image Image Image

Lots of elusive wildlife even though the pond was as low as it gets.

Image Image

Little frogs were all around. Two bald eagles would fly over just long enough for everyone to scramble for their cameras. Stellar Jays and Blue Jays helping the chipmunks and squirrels taunt us and chatter about the area.
Biking, Hiking and Canoeing.

Image Image Image Image

The water was really very clear and clean. I played around with some under water shots

Image Image

Water was still pretty deep out in the center. Around the sides mostly shallows.

Image Image Image Image

Even without low range we did explore. I will say I did pay more attention to available winch points though.

Image Image Image Image

The propane campfire made it easy to have a nice fire. Evening dinner of Brazilian BBQ , pork fried noodles and fresh biscuits. Mmmm
Followed by game night and popcorn.

Image Image

Morning light

Image Image

Finally a chance to catch the eagles fly-by

Image Image

The last morning we rose early. Before light to return home. Lots of deer even though hunters were out in numbers looking for them.

The return trip we drove south through Halfway and west to Baker city. This way was as fast or faster for the voyage home. Nearing the interstate the transmission jerked a couple times and then acted like I had shifted to neutral. Engine revs , but nothing. I slowed to the side and shifted the transfercase. It drove away as if nothing was wrong. Trans temp was at 194 and cooled down soon after. It did this one more time on the way home. The transition from cruising to gently slowing for a small grade seemed to do it. Almost like the converter unlocking and free wheeling, or overdrive kicking out to freewheel. Weird. Nearly 100k it is time for a service and see what I can find.

School projects to finish and prep for the remainder of a work week. Four full days went fast. It was a welcome recharge and good family time!

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
mars2878
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: We are back!

Post by mars2878 »

Nice pictures.
Gorgeous views.
Glad everybody had a fun & safe trip.
Sorry 2 hear about the avalanche.
01 Sonoma sls crew cab - 00 Camaro rims, lear cap w/additional led int light, reese hitch, 99 envoy dash outlets, 98 bravada switch plates & hvac knobs.
03 grand am se 3.4 auto sedan - 02 gt ram air induction parts, aftmkt taillights.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Awesome write up!! Thank you, Brule!
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
WileyHunter
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WileyHunter »

Thanks for sharing, as always I enjoyed viewing your pics and write up. Great to see others getting out with the family and enjoying the nature around us.
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Nice write-up and pics. I especially enjoyed the underwater pics. Something different.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
rlrnr53
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by rlrnr53 »

Looks like agreat getaway! Would love to see the western part of our great nation.
[size=75]Mitch
2001 Polo Green Metallic, no mods,(can't afford any)[/size]
Serge PETIT
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Serge PETIT »

Always a great pleasure to share your travel pitchures in these marvelous wild countries ! :D
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Awesome pics as usual and I'm jealous as usual. I also liked the underwater pics! Does it get warm enough to swim in that lake?

Steve
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Thanks every one.
killian96ss wrote:Awesome pics as usual and I'm jealous as usual. I also liked the underwater pics! Does it get warm enough to swim in that lake?

Steve
That lake is very cold. I did see some kids take a very short dip in the lake one afternoon. Mostly screams and scurrying right out of the water. :lol:

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

Looks like you had a blast! This is the kind of america I would love to see. Really makes me want to get to taking them train trips west of chicago one of these days. Only problem is I would want to get off and go play with my truck. We need more Auto Trains. LOL
Knowledge has no value unless its shared with others.
Exploration Machine- 02' CC V8 swap. 300K+
Portable Roller Coaster- 07' MKV VW GTI
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ