Hootz 2003 SEMA crew cab

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

hootz
Regular
Regular

Hootz 2003 SEMA crew cab

Post by hootz »

HenryJ wrote:I am surprised they did not upgrade the alternator. I guess it was pretty early and we did not know about the AD244 swap yet. The intent of that truck was a showcase for other stuff. Pretty cool to see that truck show up here after all these years. There is a thread around with the sketches they did while building it. Lots of custom work in that truck.
Does it still have the rack in the back for hauling an ATV?

It still has the ramps built over the wheel wells but the ramps that stowed on the tailgate are gone. I will search for the thread will be very interested to read it.
2003 S-10 CrewCab..Mall Crawler Extraordinaire!!
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Hootz 2003 SEMA crew cab

Post by HenryJ »

There have been quite a few threads over the years.
I can recall seeing the preliminary drawings/sketches but I can not remember the company doing them off hand. I'll do a little looking and see if I can remember the member who was asking questions here and shared the drawings.
There were at least three other SEMA crew cabs. Two before and one after yours IIRC.

Holy Poop (2003 SEMA crew) This one has the magazine feature article pages scanned.

SEMA 2003 S10 Crew with big flares

Looks like most of the links are dead now :(

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
hootz
Regular
Regular

Post by hootz »

The truck is still in pretty good shape. I'll post some pics when I get some better ones. I stumbled across this on Craigslist while truck shopping. The exterior is in excellent shape although the front light bar and winch fell prey to an accident earlier in its' life. The interior still looks good but has suffered some from carelessness. I recently took a week of vacation and spent the whole week fixing electrical gremlins. The engine mods (JET chip and Granatelli mass air flow sensor) have been stripped off before I got it so the engine is pretty much stock. I plan for this to be a daily driver. It drives well for a lifted truck. I have already gleaned a lot of information off this forum and will try to contribute when I can. I spent many years as a GM dealership wrench but switched careers in 1999. Loved the job, hated the bulls**t that came with it.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Sounds like a great background in an owner for a truck that deserves it.

I think it had a torsion key lift? Hows the suspension holding up? Boots and ball joints usually fall victim to the over crank. This rig has been running that lift for over half a dozen years. Some real world facts on the life of that lift would be very helpful. I am not a fan, but I try to have an open mind.
I assume that your truck has seen very little offroad. I suspect that many lead a similar life. Could the 2" lift survive for a "mall crawler"?

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

I must say its really awesome to see this truck end up in the hands of someone who will actually drive it and care for it! Too cool to see these rigs actually get used after a life of show. Its all too often they are forgotten and left to rot and or be crushed after their show usefulness is over. I would love to see some more detailed pics of the exterior, bed area, and interior if you get a chance someday. Did I mention my favorite colors are orange and blue :lol:

Oh and I hope you become a regular. Seem to know your stuff and have a modded vehicle to compare other things to. Would be handy.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
hootz
Regular
Regular

Post by hootz »

HenryJ wrote:Sounds like a great background in an owner for a truck that deserves it.

I think it had a torsion key lift? Hows the suspension holding up? Boots and ball joints usually fall victim to the over crank. This rig has been running that lift for over half a dozen years. Some real world facts on the life of that lift would be very helpful. I am not a fan, but I try to have an open mind.
I assume that your truck has seen very little offroad. I suspect that many lead a similar life. Could the 2" lift survive for a "mall crawler"?
I have some CV boot issues...the clamp slipped off of the inner right side and I re-clamped it; time will tell on the longevity. The outer left side is split and will need to be replaced soon. Probably other than a cruise to the desert for some pictures this truck has seen little off road and you're right..will not see any with me. I do live in a rural are and need four wheel drive in the winter months...bad weather is not an excuse to be absent as far as my employer is concerned.

The lift is a 2" body and 2.5" suspension. The upper A frames are longer so it looks to be a key lift. I need to go over the suspension real good to check the actual condition but have been busy with the appearance and electrical issues. The current tire size is 265/70 17.....a far cry from the 33's that were originally on the build. A 2" body lift would probably suffice. I do like the stance of the truck as it is now though.
hootz
Regular
Regular

Post by hootz »

green02crew wrote:I must say its really awesome to see this truck end up in the hands of someone who will actually drive it and care for it! Too cool to see these rigs actually get used after a life of show. Its all too often they are forgotten and left to rot and or be crushed after their show usefulness is over. I would love to see some more detailed pics of the exterior, bed area, and interior if you get a chance someday. Did I mention my favorite colors are orange and blue :lol:

Oh and I hope you become a regular. Seem to know your stuff and have a modded vehicle to compare other things to. Would be handy.
Thanks for the welcome and as I said previously I will contribute when I can and will get some pictures up when I get some worthy of showing.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I glad to see you and the rig. Welcome to our humble forum.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]