Lifted AWD Astro

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

dualsport
Crew
Crew

Lifted AWD Astro

Post by dualsport »

Well, this is no crewcab pickup, but it does share some similarities! (4.3, 4l60e, etc). After tinkering with the lift and such on my sonoma crew, I decided to lift the van also. Actually, I wouldn't have bought the van if I didn't know about the lift option! And the cool thing is, my wife wouldn't let me either- she really doesn't like the stock Astro look :D

So here's the details:
2" body lift on the front subframe (zoneoffroad.com)
2" torsion bar crank
Superior helper springs
2" Rear shackle lift
2" Rear axle block
1.25" wheel adapters
235/75R15 BFG AT's

Overall my front measurements went from 29" - 34" front and 30" - 35" in the rear (center of wheel well).
Attachments
Lift with spacers passenger side.jpg
2001 Sonoma CC, TB crank, 2" shackles, 2" BL, Helper Springs, 1.25/2.5 Spacers, 31" BFG ATs, Quadbeams, messed up 4wd switch :) miscellaneous squeaks and pings...
dualsport
Crew
Crew

Re: Lifted AWD Astro

Post by dualsport »

After adding the wheel adapters/spacers, I had to trim the front panel below the bumper quite a bit, but REALLY like the look after getting the wheels out from the wheel wells... It made a huge difference with my Sonoma, and didn't disappoint with this rig either. I was maxed out at 1.25" however, because of the sliding side door (had a 1/8" clearance at 'full open' with these adapters)

I'm really looking forward to taking the family out hunting/camping/fishing with this rig next year... The Sonoma amounted to a very full 4' bed :) and often times, pulling a small trailer... I've got a lot of (rain-proof) storage when I remove the 3rd row seat!
Attachments
Lift with spacers drivers side.jpg
2001 Sonoma CC, TB crank, 2" shackles, 2" BL, Helper Springs, 1.25/2.5 Spacers, 31" BFG ATs, Quadbeams, messed up 4wd switch :) miscellaneous squeaks and pings...
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Sweet! 8)

Do you have shields underneath? Any plans to swap to a two speed transfercase?
How much clearance at the front?

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
dualsport
Crew
Crew

Post by dualsport »

Not sure on the clearance question, but it's sure better than before! I'm replacing the idler arms in the morning so I'll throw a tape under there too. The front end raised over 2" just with the TB crank though- I suspect the suspension was sagging a bit because the stock tires rubbed the wheel wells at full turn.

No plans on the 2 speed xcase... I've seen it done on a few rigs online and it's a great idea for someone who wants to really "use it" to it's potential... But I built it for my wife to drive and for the occasional family outing. It's Alaska worthy now fer sure, but I imagine it'll see very little mud 'n ruts during it's stay with our family. I'll stick to the little blue mule I got for that :) I do have more confidence now though for when the snow gets deep and my wife's out and about with the kiddos strapped in. That goes a long way for me...
dualsport
Crew
Crew

Post by dualsport »

Put in a 2" rear axle block and Rancho shocks all around this weekend. Finished it off with a few steering component being replaced. I think we'll call it good at this point. We had a few good snowfalls this past week too, and it tested out reeeal good.

You got me thinking about that skid plate now... and a brush guard... and a row of HID's... and... and... and... :)
Attachments
Finally finished 4-5 inch lift.jpg
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Quadbem mod and a pair of HID would be sweet. If they made shields , I'd be all over that.
REALLY looks like a nice rig.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Cool van! 8) I don't usually like vans, however a lifted Astro with AWD could be very useful. I wouldn't swap the t-case for a 2 speed. AWD is the way to go, and makes the vehicle safer in bad weather which is good for your wife and kids. I wish my ZR2 and old Crew Cab were AWD. I've thought about the conversion a few times. A roof rack with lights and some agressive tires would be cool. I wonder if anyone makes fender flares for the Astros?

Steve
dozer1530
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by dozer1530 »

thats a really cool van
dualsport
Crew
Crew

Post by dualsport »

thanks guys. i never thought "cool" and "van" went together :) but i do like this one!
the BFG's will have to do for now... i stole them off my wife's blazer because they were 90% (the blazer got the vans originals on it and looks... 'goofy' -- donuts?!) and yes steve... you and HJ can sure spend a guys $$ for him! :) roof rack would be sweet. i'm already talking with my brother-in-law about welding one up for some of our yearly excursions!

there's some great ideas at astrosafari and overlandvans...