Tow Strap Failure

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Tow Strap Failure

Post by F9K9 »

Tow Strap Failure Be careful out there!!
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

Another case of "too much stupid pedal." :roll:
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
blaz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: Tow Strap Failure

Post by blaz »

f9k9 wrote:Tow Strap Failure Be careful out there!!
I've seen this vid before. Did the strap fail? It looks as though the anchor point on the jeep was not strong enough. In the longer version of this vid. they get a tow truck in to pull out that jeep. I think more digging and jacking the jeep might have been a better option.

I agree too much skinny pedal and be careful! :wink:
okie s10
Crew
Crew

Post by okie s10 »

Yep, Stupid, with a capital S. They are called tow straps, not jerk straps. I'm sure most of you guys do this when towing or winching, but always carry a ragged blanket with you to wrap around the strap or cable. If the strap or cable fails, it will wrap up on the blanket and not fly thru the tow vehicle as in this video. 8)
[size=75]---Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans............John Lennon[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

okie s10 wrote:Yep, Stupid, with a capital S. They are called tow straps, not jerk straps. I'm sure most of you guys do this when towing or winching, but always carry a ragged blanket with you to wrap around the strap or cable. If the strap or cable fails, it will wrap up on the blanket and not fly thru the tow vehicle as in this video. 8)
I am the last one to disagree or nitpick because I don't have any details. Your suggestion is basically very sound. Another tow strap or recovery strap hung on whatever strap that they were using would work as well. There is a difference between recovery and tow straps and money shouldn't be a factor in deciding which one to choose. Not talking to you okie s10 but, don't fall for the Kmart or Wallyworld stuff with metal components.
Most clubs will not use straps with metal components. I will research that vid's original source and see what other facts that I can attain.
As mentioned several times above, Stay off the skinny!
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

was he trying to see what his 0-60 times were
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]