Just Wondering, Supercharger

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

blackflamed
Crew
Crew

Just Wondering, Supercharger

Post by blackflamed »

http://www.wynjammer.com/ALM1115/GM_S10_4_3__V6.html
just wondering if anyone has looked this up
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

We don't hear from the three that supercharged their trucks anymore. I am pretty sure they were sold long ago.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
blackflamed
Crew
Crew

Post by blackflamed »

hmm i wounder if its a hard mod the computer seems like it would be hard
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Not bad IIRC. A reflash is the best choice there.
Supercharging has its draw backs too. Lots of heat and you need to burn good fuel. You can do a V-8 for about the same money too.
That might be less troublesome.

If it is a toy that is driven occasionally, then it might be OK. After a while it becomes work to drive regularly though. I speak from experience. I have a "huft" HenryJ in the stable.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
blackflamed
Crew
Crew

Post by blackflamed »

hmm more too think on i guess
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

blackflamed wrote:hmm more too think on i guess
Very true if, a daily driver.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
blackflamed
Crew
Crew

Post by blackflamed »

yeah its a daily but its power is low now and lifting it with bigger wheel would only drain it more i was hoping to find a supercharger or turbo but i know nothing on computer stuff i should just buy another truck but i dont have 33 Gs to drop on a new truck i am sitting on 80k right now would like to keep the truck i need fender flares and a lift and power would be just fine to keep for a long while
blackflamed
Crew
Crew

Post by blackflamed »

Hi Chris:Wynjammer has a kit for your vehicle. You don't need the electric fans but they will give you another 12++ hp to the rear and cleans up the engine compartment. The performance that you will get is 60++to 75RWHPwith the Supercharger kit.I see that you live in Colorado and you will love the supercharger as you will see the mileage increase immediately.The kit comes with a Supercharger Programmed PCM, We take out the speedcontrol, firm up the trans if Automatic, fix speedometer if you have taller tires. We change the Fuel & spark curves for supercharging.I will be back to work the 6th of January. You can call me if you have any other questions on even more performance.The Wynjammer GM 4.3 Kit $2537.00 + Shipping & Insurance

there's some pic's on the sit of s10's and jimmy and what not very kool i think i am going to take the chance and do it shortly !
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

12+ HP from fans is a joke. If they are claiming an increase in mileage, I call BS!
Sounds more like a salesman than a tech. Be wary.

Keep in mind that this will just be the tip of the iceberg. Premium fuel. Better cooling system. Dump valve. Timing retard? What else? There will be more costs.

That is a big chunk of change. No one has had a supercharger on their truck more than a few years before they got rid of it. Are you really ready to spend $2500 on a mod you will not get your money out of in three years when you sell it?

Do more research. Check out all the S-10 sites.

If you decide to do it we will be behind you. Eyes wide open though. Know what you are getting into.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
blackflamed
Crew
Crew

Post by blackflamed »

true that i am still looking into a v8 swap but its looking like a pain to even find the right kit and or parts i am looking upward of 5 grand just to get started so its a pain lol no really easy way to get this done it seems
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Nothing is ever easy. If it was everybody would be doing it.

What is the driving force behind the need for more horsepower? Would a switch to a vehicle with a V-8 be a better choice?

The supercharger will be a "quick" install. and less involved than a V-8 install. Either will take the truck from daily driver to "toy" status.

Five grand is a good figure either way. If you have that in the bank for this mod, you are good to go. Yes, I know the supercharger kit is under $2600. believe me that you WILL be spending much more before you are done.

How about buying a less expensive toy to keep your mind off of modifying the crew cab? The TW I bought has been doing wonders for me :lol:

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

OR just spend 2K on a toy you can play with. That is what I spent on this one 2 years ago and it doubled up as a DD on most days.

Plus you get to hone your wrenching skills :lol:

[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

He has got an idea there! I did the very same thing and spent about what you want to on dual sport bike.
Finding another outlet might be the right path.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
blackflamed
Crew
Crew

Post by blackflamed »

true true need to do some more research for sure thax guys
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:........Finding another outlet might be the right path.
OR your financial downfall! :o

killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

If you really want more power just drop in a V8. :wink: Get a used 96 or later Vortec 5.7 with all the accessories still on it. I have seen used engines like this go for less than $1000. With a V8 you will get better gas mileage, 75-100 extra hp, and another 100 ft #'s of torque. Dropping in a V8 does not make your truck a toy, but it does make it more practical and fun. :D

Steve
blackflamed
Crew
Crew

Post by blackflamed »

well i did it i took out a 10g loan and i am going to be putting the super charger on as well i am going to extend the frame to put a 6ft bed on and the super lift and tires to match the lift and a hidden winch so this is going to be fun it was either 10g loan for this truck or 35 for a crew cab v8 Dakota plus the truck is paid off so that's a plus might be a while before i am done but this should be fun anyone know where i can get custom stickers made i was thinking zr7 would be kinda kool since a lot of zr2 parts are going into my zr5
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

ZR7 APPEARANCE PACKAGE , GRILLE & BUMPER CHROME

Sounds like a fun project. Keep us informed as to the progress.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
blackflamed
Crew
Crew

Post by blackflamed »

will do
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BobbleSmitty »

That's awesome! I can't wait to see it when it's done. When is your estimated completion date??
[size=75]2004 S-10 Crew Cab ZR5 -*SOLD*-2" PA Body Lift - Air Shocks - 30x9.5" Cooper Discoverer S/T tires - 1.25" Rear Spacers - Clear Bumper Lights - Westin Safari - Light Bar w/ 100watt 6" Lights - Custom Stainless Steel V-force Dual Exhaust w/ 3" Black Chrome Slash Cut Tips - CB radio w/ 100watt PA speaker - Alpine MP3/CD Player - 10" JL Sub w/ 300watt amp - Low Profile - 'TonneauMasters' Tonneau Cover - In-channel Vent Visors - Airbox mod - Custom Front Tow Hooks - Debadged [/size]
blackflamed
Crew
Crew

Post by blackflamed »

it will be a a week or two for the loan to clear then depending on what i start with i was going to start with the supercharger since its a blot on 2 hour max job but i am thinking ill start with the hard stuff the 6 ft bed i have a shop ready to extend the frame i just need to find a 6 ft zr2 indigo blue bed close to where i live so i need to shop around for that so unknown at this point My only concern is the lift i hope it doesn't turn out to be to high for a small truck :?:
blackflamed
Crew
Crew

Post by blackflamed »

ha i thought i would put the list i have had sitting here for 3 years up

supercharger - 2,500 + shipping

6 " super lift kit - 2,091.95 + shipping + install + tires to match (bfg at/ko)

94-04 GMC Sonoma DURAFLEX Ram Air Hood - 359 + 130 + paint ( maybe on the hood)

WAAG Tail Light guards black - 108.08

Fender Flares zr2 may fit after 6ft bed install ?!?

Rear spacers 1.50 - $60 (done)

Derale Trasmission Cooling Pan + filter gasket - 75.99 + install

Spal 11" inch dual electric fan - 314.95 + metal for custom braket

Hidden winch - $764 + shipping (Need to come up with a removable license plate for the front or hinged )

Custom Stickers for rear ZR7 (same colors a original zr5)

6ft bed used blue so i dont have to paint it $200 to $400 +

ext frame ? +

ext drive line +

ext wiring line ect + ???

line x .... again

fold a cover hard cover ..... again

+ any problems that are likely to happen

Some of this may or may not make it alot will happen after the bigger stuff
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

You have some more research to do before you proceed. I think you have blown your budget before starting
blackflamed wrote:supercharger - 2,500 + shipping
Are you going to install it? Add another $1000 for someone else if not.
6 " super lift kit - 2,091.95 + shipping + install + tires to match (bfg at/ko)
Shipping, install, tires, wheels - $5000
94-04 GMC Sonoma DURAFLEX Ram Air Hood - 359 + 130 + paint ( maybe on the hood)
Paint $400
Fender Flares zr2 may fit after 6ft bed install ?!?
$2000 installed
Derale Trasmission Cooling Pan + filter gasket - 75.99 + install
Will not fit our trucks $0
Custom Stickers for rear ZR7 (same colors a original zr5)
Not a fan of advertising the chrome bumper RPO package.
6ft bed used blue so i dont have to paint it $200 to $400 +
Better plan on paint $1500
ext frame ? + ext drive line + ext wiring line ect + ???
$5000
line x .... again
$800
+ any problems that are likely to happen
$1000
Some of this may or may not make it alot will happen after the bigger stuff
I would say focus on a huffer or the lift and see what you have when you're done. If you REALLY plan to extend the frame, then maybe just do that since it will cause modifications to the lift when that is installed.

You have $22,000 worth of modifications listed. I think I would scale way back and decide what makes sense. A lift or supercharger alone is a pretty big bite. Both is a mouthful. Add the stretch and you are going in VERY deep. This will be a pretty high dollar toy. I would wager you will not have it longer than three years, as no one has passed that yet after such modifications. Are you sure that is a price you can pay?

- ThunderII KE7CSK
blackflamed
Crew
Crew

Post by blackflamed »

very true the list was just a dream list of what i would like to do i am only go with the big three right now let the other stuff happen later the bed the lift and the supercharger. The supercharger is a bolt on item that will only take a few hour i would like to do the lift myself but like you said after the bed it might be more of a custom build so we will see :D plus i keep telling myself its cheaper then a new trx dakota v8 crew lol
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Must be a personal loan, I wouldn't see any bank loaning you anything for the truck project ( at least not around here). Keep us informed and make sure to take lots of photos.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Also keep in mind that nothing is simple and each mod will require more than you think.
The supercharger builds heat. The cooling system is already maxed. Now a new radiator. Then you find the Spal fans are not enough to keep it cool, so you find a different answer.
Several trys at programming the PCM to curb the detonation. Bigger injectors since you can't push enough of the cruddy E10 fuel to run properly. The list could go on and on.
While the supercharger might look like a simple bolt on, there is way more to it than that.
You may be looking for a buyer sooner than you think. The monkeys under the hood are fun at first, but get to be work after a while.

We will be here to cheer you on and help however we can. Keep in mind the life preserver we throw can only float so much.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
blackflamed
Crew
Crew

Post by blackflamed »

true true thax man i appreciate all the info nothing is set in stone we'll go with the flow and try some of this out !! :D