Hello, a little about me....

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

YellowCrewCabber
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Hello, a little about me....

Post by YellowCrewCabber »

Hello everyone,
My name is Jeff. I live in Franklin, Tn. I am the second owner of a 2004 ZR5 and love it. It had 14k miles on it when I bought it in 04. It now is just shy 118k. Yeah, I drive it alot. Two trips to Florida. Many trips to Illinois every year. (my home town) I have been reading some articles the last couple of days and have realized I have alot to learn about my truck. I.E. vacuum switch on transfer case, T-bars, xtra cap radiator. Just a week ago I replaced the intake manifold gaskets myself along with the help of one of my brothers. I am very impressed that I can change the oil make a 600 mile trip and have no oil burned and still look just as clear as the day I changed it. Pretty good I think on an engine with 118k. I am wanting to lift my truck up but would like to see more pics of other trucks and all the info you want to send me about suspension lifts and body lifts. Just how much higher does a two inch lift make the truck look?? I saw some pics of a truck like mine, I think the owner's name is Matt. What kind of lift did he do on his truck? I will be posting pics and other questions very soon. Are there other members in the middle Tn. area?? Just so you know I am not here to cause trouble, make enemies, or make people feel unwanted or stupid but sometimes my dry, sarcastic and sometimes smart ass comments make me look like a jack ass. So please if I ever offend someone please PM me and we'll straighten that out. Even though I may never meet anyone here face to face, I would like to make some new friends. So who's up for weekend camping?? I have fire wood and Bud Lite is my choice of brews. Just a few once in awhile gives that warm buzzy feeling. :D Thanks for having me.
Jeff
P.S. Any biker dudes here? I mean uh, motorcyclists.
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Welcome! for pictures and modification listings check out the mod page.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BobbleSmitty »

Here's my truck with a 2" body lift, 30" tires, and 2" lift shackles on the rear. I never cranked the torsion bars. Image
[size=75]2004 S-10 Crew Cab ZR5 -*SOLD*-2" PA Body Lift - Air Shocks - 30x9.5" Cooper Discoverer S/T tires - 1.25" Rear Spacers - Clear Bumper Lights - Westin Safari - Light Bar w/ 100watt 6" Lights - Custom Stainless Steel V-force Dual Exhaust w/ 3" Black Chrome Slash Cut Tips - CB radio w/ 100watt PA speaker - Alpine MP3/CD Player - 10" JL Sub w/ 300watt amp - Low Profile - 'TonneauMasters' Tonneau Cover - In-channel Vent Visors - Airbox mod - Custom Front Tow Hooks - Debadged [/size]
YellowCrewCabber
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

BobbleSmitty wrote:Here's my truck with a 2" body lift, 30" tires, and 2" lift shackles on the rear. I never cranked the torsion bars. Image
Hello BobbleSmitty, If I stand next to my truck I can easily see over the top. (I'm 6'1") I see that your fenders have good clearance above your tires. It would be nice if I could get the top of my truck about eye level but that may be more lift than I want to go through. The ZR-5's came with an optional tire size. One size slightly taller than the other.(I know it's not the 30" tires) The stock size is 235/70/15. I have 235/75/15. Maybe I'm wrong about that but I have read that somewhere. I like how your truck looks but I can't tell just how high the truck is. Can you find a 6 foot guinnee pig and take another pic. :lol:
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BobbleSmitty »

Yea, the 235/75/15s were the "off-road" tire available as an option for all Crew Cabs, they are the Good Year Wranglers. The 235/70/15s are Uniroyals. The tires on mine originally were the Uniroyals, they were no good. When I did the body lift, I added the shackles and 30" Cooper Discoverer S/T tires. I am 6'1" as well, I need to stand on the step bars to wash the roof. The roof of the truck is eye level now. The combination of the BL, tires, and shackles raised it up just over 3 inches in the front and 5 inches in the rear.
[size=75]2004 S-10 Crew Cab ZR5 -*SOLD*-2" PA Body Lift - Air Shocks - 30x9.5" Cooper Discoverer S/T tires - 1.25" Rear Spacers - Clear Bumper Lights - Westin Safari - Light Bar w/ 100watt 6" Lights - Custom Stainless Steel V-force Dual Exhaust w/ 3" Black Chrome Slash Cut Tips - CB radio w/ 100watt PA speaker - Alpine MP3/CD Player - 10" JL Sub w/ 300watt amp - Low Profile - 'TonneauMasters' Tonneau Cover - In-channel Vent Visors - Airbox mod - Custom Front Tow Hooks - Debadged [/size]
YellowCrewCabber
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

:D :drool: That's what I want. Yep, the Wranglers are what I have. Sometime if the conditions are just right the right front tire will rub the top of the fender well. How do the larger tires effect engine performance? Can I still get 5 inches in the rear if I go with the Boise spring set up. Sometimes I'll load the bed well over 500 lbs. And incase of a good snow I can throw some weight in the back and still retain some height. How much did the project cost? (excluding the tires) How long did it take you to do?
BikerBoomer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by BikerBoomer »

I want that brush gaurd!!! what is it, and will it fit on a truck without a body lift? like threw the tow hook holes?

Any info on it? or pics of where it mounts? And how you wired the lights? or how they are mounted?

Thanks man! Sweet truck.
BikerBoomer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by BikerBoomer »

I think i found it in your sig, is this it- Westin Safari - Light Bar w/ 100watt 6" Lights?
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BobbleSmitty »

The engine performance is still fine. I lost half a second on the quarter mile. Not too noticable. You can get lift from the boise spring kit too, in place of the shackles or air shocks. (I have air shocks now) The body lift took about 18 hours total. Some have done it in a lot less than that. Definately something you can do on your own. It's not worth paying a shop to do that. The body lift kit runs somewhere around $200. The shackles, depending on what you go with, probably anywhere from $50 to $100? Air Shocks are $80 and you can adjust the height then, so those are also an option. I don't remember how much the Boise spring kit cost? I got my tires for $400 installed new. At the time of the lift, I put on 1.25" rear spacers to even up the track, it looks alot better that way too.

As far as the bars, the front bar is a Westin Safari bar. They come with mounts specifically for certain vehicles. After doing a body lift, you will want to raise the bar up two inches though. In my album, I have a bunch of pictures of how to raise the Safari Bar and the Step Bars that come stock on the ZR5 package. All of these modifications were well worth it though. It makes the truck look like a truck!

And the lights are wired to a relay and switch that come with the kit, and the power to the switch comes from the interior fuse box on an empty slot that only works when the head lights are on.
YellowCrewCabber
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Thank you very much for the info. I will have more questions. Since you have air shocks now. Does that mean you have removed the shackles or are you using both?
[size=75]04 ZR5 CC

Xbox Live Gamer Tag-Gefke6367[/size]
DLP
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by DLP »

I have about the same set-up as BobbleSmitty but with 31s. I don't have the wheel spacers and the front tires do rub at full lock. Looking at getting a set of spacers soon. I run my air shocks at 50psi unless hauling a trailer. It keeps the truck faily level.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v338/ ... 0_4623.jpg
[size=75][b][color=blue]2003 Blue Crewcab[/b][/color][/size]
YellowCrewCabber
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Here's the bananna. No mods. Image And if you are into classic motorcycles, you can navigate to other pics of my other money pit and a pic of me.
Last edited by YellowCrewCabber on Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

The 'nanner looks good. Sweet memories for me! I am glad that I took the fork in the path that was presented to me. I wish you the very best! :wink:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]