Maybe a Future CC SFA Build Thread

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Maybe a Future CC SFA Build Thread

Post by F9K9 »

I am gonna post this here for now. Some of you may know that I have wanted to turn the CC into a serious trail rig/DD for a long time. Tow rig and trailer are not a part of the plan and never will be. Finding axles has been in the process since August '07. I find axles that I think are acceptable and send a link to my future builder. Dave (ZR2DAVESFA on zr2usa.com) usually says "too much", seller is a "dirt bag", "Stay away from 78-79 D44's, unless you want to run a radius arm set up. The tubes are cast, making welding very tough and very important it's done right. The price is out of line too, imo"...................ect. :lol:

Dave finally sent me a link on a set for sale.
chromerunner wrote:D44 8lug with warn hubs.
4.11 gears/open. good condition
D60 rear 8 lug 4.11's locked..
Good condition. Both are cleaned up and look great. On 8lug rollers also.
This was a matching set from a 70's F250. nice set
$550.00 Or trade for 36 and up tires/ beadlocks/tube/anything considered (that can be used on a toyota):beer:
I already contacted the seller and he is going to hold them through the weekend and let me recontact him on the final "go ahead". They are not far from Dave in NC and I could get them there for the future build or resell them if, I have to.

I just need to start some serious planning w/o serious money available and hope it becomes available later. The Jeep TJ's ('97-'06) wheelbase is just to short for my needs ( I know and please don't ask me how I know). The LJ's (same years, longer wheelbase) are almost perfect and our CCs and extended cab S-10 wheelbases are almost to long for our trails in my area.

Hopefully this will become a "SFA build" thread or it will just die of natural causes. I don't want to mirror this thread elsewhere until it actually has a heartbeat.

I am open to all suggestions. I am especially open to all of them before I commit to these particular axles. These $550 axles will end up easily costing 10x that amount before being ready to start the process.

Happy Turkey Day!

Reed
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

I'd stick with a disc setup for the rear axle, the stock axle is disc and the valve are proportioned perfect for a disc setup.

My setup is:
86 Waggy front and 95 Isuzu rear, both D44's and discs.

The only thing that really sucks about the Isuzu 44 is the stock disc pads are really small and I've had to replace them about every 10-20k miles. The front Waggy is great and disc pads are still original. About 40k miles since the job was done. But the stock proportioning works very well and it brakes very well.

When you go SFA, just remember, no matter how good it's done, it will never be the same, and takes patience to get just right. It will never ride as nice on the road, although I am happy with the way mine is on the road for the off-road ability of it.
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
knaffie
Regular
Regular

Post by knaffie »

Reed,
IMO, those are a great find. Those are the same axles we're using on MacZR2's truck. JMO, but I'd run that 60 over a 9" any day.

The rear you'll want to purchase a disc conversion kit for, which is about $300. That's money very well spent.

The price of $550 is fair. I would take it. I paid $500 for this truck as you see it here. Time is money, and at this point in my life, I have more money than time. It took two of us a whole day plus to SAFELY get the axles out from under this truck. I got $200 for the rest of the truck in scrap, but with scrap now at an all time low, you probably wouldn't get $50 for it. Now that I've done the "bought the truck, stripped the axles out" thing twice, paying an extra few hundred for the axles alone is money well spent.

You get to save yourself this trouble.

And you're a smart man to know up front that you'll be $5K into those axles by the time they are fully rebuilt. If you count EVERYTHING - races, bearings, seals, gears, lockers, brakes, and all the other little crap, sandblast, paint, etc. $5K is a safe number to budget.

Congrats on being ready to make the jump to a SFA. If there is anything at all I can do to help along the way, just whistle. :) Dave's a good guy, and he'll take good care of you. Of course, you already know that!
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Well, we're off to a start and thank you, Paul and Chris! I've already found some money from the sale of my XJ that was a little more than I remembered. Pleasant surprise :lol: I just have to remind Dave that this will be a DD in, case he forgot.

I'd like to end up with something similar to Paul's rig but, have front coils.

[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
knaffie
Regular
Regular

Post by knaffie »

Looking at this again, something doesn't look right with those hubs. Hmmmm........ The lockable portion of the hub should only stick out past the casting about 1". Those look like they have huge hubs for some reason. I'm sure somebody knows what they are.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Well, Dave will know by this time tomorrow after he picks them up. If, he doesn't like them, I'll sell them and give him a commission.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Yeah, they are low pinion. Don't know if, the seller changed the classified or we just screwed up. Dave did not pick them up which, was good. I have thrown myself at the seller's mercy (allegedly a well known builder) and I'll go from there. I gave him my word, he is paid and if, I have to, I will try to resell them.

Waterfowl are already circling. This is a bad omen!

F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Still waiting on the seller to return my money but, I think he will. The good news is I found a HP44/D60 set here for $300 12 miles from the house. I looked at them personally!

roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

The ducks or the axles? hahaha
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

roadrunner wrote:The ducks or the axles? hahaha
The ducks are toast now. I am going to do this one right if, Dave and I live long enough........... :wink: