Got a great exterior window cleaner

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

24digger
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Got a great exterior window cleaner

Post by 24digger »

I was cleaning and waxing the van today, using a clay bar when I was all done I got around to cleaning the class. The back window was really grimy and window cleaner wouldn't cut it.

So I thought what the heck and tried the clay bar on it. I made it look like new glass, so I went around and cleaned every window.

Wow

Just thought I would pass this along, I don't think this has been mentioned before.
Last edited by 24digger on Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[size=75]2002 Yellow Crewcab, Gaylord X2000 Lid, Ventvisors, Painted to match bugshield, Stepshields, K&N filter,rear swaybar, Bed X-tender,Window Tint, 1.25" wheel spacers,overhead console with trip computer, steering wheel with radio controls, bilsteins, optima redtop, taylor wires. flowmaster 40 muffler, energy suspension swaybar bushings[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I tried it too. No help at all. We get hard water stains out here. It must be much different from other locations. I did the whole clay bar thing on the truck. It really was a waste of my time. I guess you all just get much worse stuff that sticks to you paint. Mine really did not need it.

Now find me something other than a glass buffer and polishing compound to clean the hard water stains.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
24digger
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 24digger »

I had a bunch of tar and road grime and it took it all off.

It really looks like I put new glass in it.
[size=75]2002 Yellow Crewcab, Gaylord X2000 Lid, Ventvisors, Painted to match bugshield, Stepshields, K&N filter,rear swaybar, Bed X-tender,Window Tint, 1.25" wheel spacers,overhead console with trip computer, steering wheel with radio controls, bilsteins, optima redtop, taylor wires. flowmaster 40 muffler, energy suspension swaybar bushings[/size]
HCO4x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by HCO4x4 »

I had bad stains on my truck and windows from our well water. Mothers wax did a great job taking it off the paint but didn't do as well on the windows. So i used a dab of toilet bowl cleaner. :lol: They look brand new :D
[size=75]-2001 s-10 crew - K&N intake, 2" PA body lift, tbar crank, bilstein shocks, 15" american racing baja rims, 31x10.5r15 bfg MUD terrains[/size]
raven2510
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by raven2510 »

i used this on my windows that were so fogged/scratched that its made it look hazy outside...worked wonders
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetai ... toview=sku
1999 Chevy S10 ZR2
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The "resurfacing buffers" can be used on the windshield, as it is soft. I have the Eastwood glass polishing kit
Not something you want to dig out for a routine cleaning. What do you do on tempered glass like side windows?

There must be something easy.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

I scour mine with BonAmi it works great.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Where I live now hard water stains are primarily calcium/limestone. I use plain ole vinegar mixed one part vinegar to two parts water as a window/stain remover (add a little ammonia as a drier if you like). Where I used to live iron (rust) stains were the problem. I still used the vinegar in a 50/50 water mix with great success. Used on windows only. Good quality wax would generally take care of any of these on the painted surfaces.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
raven2510
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by raven2510 »

it worked fine on my side windows
1999 Chevy S10 ZR2
rlrnr53
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by rlrnr53 »

I've used Bon Ami in the past for removing hard to remove stains, and it worked wonders, but I have a hard time finding it now.
[size=75]Mitch
2001 Polo Green Metallic, no mods,(can't afford any)[/size]
Gonzzo
Regular
Regular

PPPSSSTTT!!!!!!!... i'll let you in on a ....

Post by Gonzzo »

Little secret, as long as you tell NO ONE, EVER!!!. :lol:

Are you ready?...

Here goes...

.0000 steel wool and a little bit of clean water. I have used this on several vehicle's and home windows. You don't need to beat the stains off with the wool, just rub gently adding clean water and watch all the stains disappear. Also does wonders on stainless steel and chrome. If the stains are dumb enough to stay around, try a bit of vinegar and water mixed in a spray bottle, spray solution on remaining stains and wipe off with steel wool.

Good luck and...

don't...

tell...

a SOUL...

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

I'm not trying to hijack a post but check out the sweet detail job and what he uses to clean up glass.

Polished Bliss
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew , A.R.E Cap, Limo tint windows, Halogen Back up lights. Bilstein Shocks, 1.5 Rear Spacers, Summit Rear Diff Cover Clear Bumper Lights, Carbon Altezza Tail Lights, Billet Grill. SS Step Bars. GM full front bra. ,,, GM Quote concerning the gurgling heater core " They all sound like that"[/size]