Motorcycle- Bike mods

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Motorcycle- Bike mods

Post by HenryJ »

border man wrote:... goodies for my new Harley. Chrome is expensive.
I am guessing that heated hand grips are not on your list?

What is?

I am sure your list differs greatly from what I have done to my Honda V65 Sabre.

I added a backrest pretty early. It adds a place to bungie stuff, and the riders feel a little more secure. There was noting available at the time, so I made my own. Some 1" strap steel, weld it together add a little wood and upholstering. Bake the enamel and your done. Well, almost as you have to live with the smell of the kitchen for a while ;)
Foam hand grips help reduce some fatigue. They were one of the first mods. I added the clamp cruise control at the same time.
Gotta have tunes, right? I started with speakers in the helmet. That was ok, but somewhat inconvenient. Later I added amplified speakers to the fairing and used a Walkman. I have a handlebar mounted small AM/FM player. I'd love to have an Ipod to use, but priorities have been elsewhere, I guess. The little Sony is less likely to be of intrest to sticky hands anyway.
On the front I added an engine guard. It also was a place to add some highway pegs. Different positions on an "iron butt run" are a good thing.
It took a while, but I found the factory Hondaline fairing and lowers. That was a very good investment. Factory horns are pretty weak. The died and early death when I mounted them wrong after the fairing install. I had the drain holes in the wrong position and they rusted internally. A set of good loud horns replaced them.
Learning a little about the engine , I found out the cams need better oiling , so I added a higher pressure oiling system for the topend.
We get some pretty hot weather here. Waterpumpers are the only way to go. I added a manual override for the fan. Sitting in traffic I can flip the switch and get some air moving. A head start on cooling is helpful.

This year the bike got new radials. They seem pretty good. They do react a little fast. I am still getting used to that.

I have a tank bag, but rarely use it. On long run I probably would. I really need to replace it. The straps are dry rotted. I wonder if those magnetic tank bags are any good?

Riding gear adds to the list too. I bought a Joe Rocket leather jacket and a Shoei helmet. Both very good investments in both comfort and safety.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
WileyHunter
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: Motorcycle- Bike mods

Post by WileyHunter »

HenryJ wrote:
border man wrote:... goodies for my new Harley. Chrome is expensive.
I am guessing that heated hand grips are not on your list?

What is?
Actually, since BM is stuck in the desert, the heated hand grips should be high on the list... It got down to low 40's in Deming last night. Up to hi 70's today. Only place that I use heater on the am drive and A/C on the night drive.

WH
border man
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by border man »

First on the list is a sissy bar. Mainly for the ability to strap down my gear bag, and luggage for those long trips. Next up is a set of pipes, and an external oil cooler for the desert heat. After that, it's all about the bling!
[size=75]I didn't do it, it was already like that when I got it.[/size]
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

Hey Border, check out HDForums.com...I go by WVHogRider there as well. You can check out a bunch of different scoots there to see what you like, learn free mods, swap/buy parts with other members, etc, etc...just like here but with WAY more people. So what kinda Harley did you get? I checking into getting a second one this week....A buddy's father-in-law is willing to sell me his '91 Ultra Classic for like $5K, and it needs very little work. So I'll have the sporty and a geezer-glide. :lol: :wink:
[size=75]'01 CC w/ a bunch of Mods. More always on the way.
Realization...All women need medication...Just find one on the right medication & make sure she stays on it!!!![/size]
border man
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by border man »

WV, beat you to it. I joined HDForums a little while back (Border Cop) :) . I bought an '08 Dyna FXDF Fat Bob 8)

[size=75]I didn't do it, it was already like that when I got it.[/size]