Auto Insurance

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

24digger
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Auto Insurance

Post by 24digger »

At what point do you guys drop full coverage insurance?

With the price of gas getting so high, trying to save everywhere I can.

I currently have 5 vehicles and full coverage on 3.

All of my vehicles are in good shape and even though they probably aren't worth a whole lot, they are to me.
[size=75]2002 Yellow Crewcab, Gaylord X2000 Lid, Ventvisors, Painted to match bugshield, Stepshields, K&N filter,rear swaybar, Bed X-tender,Window Tint, 1.25" wheel spacers,overhead console with trip computer, steering wheel with radio controls, bilsteins, optima redtop, taylor wires. flowmaster 40 muffler, energy suspension swaybar bushings[/size]
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

I drop collision when I feel I would replace instead of repair a vehicle or the insurance company would total it out for next to nothing. I will carry it on the crew for at least a few more years since it's value is still upwards of 12-14k. In my case I carry a 1000.00 deductible since anything under that I will not claim and these days it doesn't take much to get to that point, it keeps my premiums lower than if I went with a low or no deductible plan. If you have a good driving record shopping around can net vastly different prices for the same coverage. Just for an idea my coverage for the crew which is bundled with my 89 Silverado and my house for maximum discount is just over 425/yr with full collision.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

minutes after I received the title from the bank
[size=67][i]"Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."[/i][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

There is $100 premium difference per year between full coverage and just liability for me.
I had intended to drop full coverage, but by going to $1000 deductible the difference is not too bad. The windshield shop I use will waive the deductible on glass, so that in itself may be a good justification for the increased amount of the premium.

I too am one of those who would drop the coverage when it becomes less than cost effective. After five years it usually doesn't make financial sense. Once the value of my truck drops below $10k, I look at the situation closely.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
24digger
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 24digger »

I may try the 1000 deductable route and see how much of a difference I get, I think I have 500 now.

Buy the way my crew has only, I hate to say this, 14000 miles on it so it is like new. Its like my pleasure vehicle I only drive it on nice days.

So that is really my delima. It just turned 6yrs old on monday.
[size=75]2002 Yellow Crewcab, Gaylord X2000 Lid, Ventvisors, Painted to match bugshield, Stepshields, K&N filter,rear swaybar, Bed X-tender,Window Tint, 1.25" wheel spacers,overhead console with trip computer, steering wheel with radio controls, bilsteins, optima redtop, taylor wires. flowmaster 40 muffler, energy suspension swaybar bushings[/size]
border man
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by border man »

I carry $0 deductible full coverage including glass, towing and rental car. I priced the higher deductibles, but the difference for me was only about $100 a year. I will probably drop the full coverage on the wife's car and my truck (both 8 years old) this year. That should save me quite a bit over the year. I'll need it since the new bike will cost me $396/year by itself
[size=75]I didn't do it, it was already like that when I got it.[/size]
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

I carry liability only on all mine except the Crew. Still making payments on it so full coverage required. I have 1000 deductible on both comp and collision. Makes a difference on premiums in my case worthwhile.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

border man wrote: the wife's car and my truck (both 8 years old) this year.
You've got a "2000" S-10CC? :?:
[size=67][i]"Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."[/i][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

barch97 wrote:
Yes he does. His is the preproduction conversion.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

barch97 wrote:
Glad you were all over that one, Barch :lol: You're just 3.5 yrs behind the Hoffmiester :wink:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

wow :shock:
border man
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by border man »

My truck is actually a 2000 Ext Cab Sonoma according to the VIN. It was converted into a crewcab by Centurion with GM's blessing using parts that were already available in Brazil during that time. I guess it was GM's way of "testing the waters" to see if they should go into actual production in the US.
[size=75]I didn't do it, it was already like that when I got it.[/size]