skid plates head count?

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

turkeestalker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

skid plates head count?

Post by turkeestalker »

I might have a line on some here in Missouri.
Just curious as what level of interest there would be in aluminum skids for our trucks. Cost would only be what they cost me, (and I won't be over paying), plus shipping, if and when I find them. Wondering if anyone else might be in the market, or am I the only one on this site that doesn't already have them?
If in fact anyone is interested, please respond timely, as the only fair way I can see to orchestrate this is, first response=first dibbs.
Jim
okie s10
Crew
Crew

Post by okie s10 »

Count me in, as per my PM to you. Thanks.
[size=75]---Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans............John Lennon[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

okie s10 wrote:Count me in, as per my PM to you. Thanks.
Did you get my PM?
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
24digger
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 24digger »

I may be interested in a transfer case one. I have the all but that one.
[size=75]2002 Yellow Crewcab, Gaylord X2000 Lid, Ventvisors, Painted to match bugshield, Stepshields, K&N filter,rear swaybar, Bed X-tender,Window Tint, 1.25" wheel spacers,overhead console with trip computer, steering wheel with radio controls, bilsteins, optima redtop, taylor wires. flowmaster 40 muffler, energy suspension swaybar bushings[/size]
turkeestalker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by turkeestalker »

All of this is pending my success in finding more. Being the only seemingly 'active' member in my area, and the number of salvage yards near St. Louis, I'm confident that I will find at least a few more sets. At least the front and t-case ones.
Ed, you're first up, and no f9k9, I didn't. So does that mean you might be number 2 or something else up?
24digger you're in line.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

There is a composite front shield and composite transfercase shield in Nampa, Idaho, if someone needs those.
I can pick them up if someone is interested.
There is also a scarred up front aluminum shield for a ZR2.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
turkeestalker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by turkeestalker »

Finally the fella at Scratchy's did the looking and called me. Unfortunately he was apparently letting out a lot of hot air when I first went out there, and did not have the quantity he first indicated.

Okie, (Ed), I've got a transfer case shield for $30, (which I will pick up on Friday), and a front cover for $5 which we spoke about. Both aluminum, no bolts for the rear of the t-case, but you should be able to pick them up at any auto parts store, (3 self tapping). I may be able to come up with something around here to send along with that will work fine. the front one will use the bolts from your factory plastic cover. When I get the shields in hand and clean them up I will get your address, figure out the shipping and we will get them to you.

24digger, I'm not done searching so a t-case one is still a real probability, just be patient with me. I'll contact you when I find one if you're still interested.
Jim
24digger
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 24digger »

don't worry to much about me mines not that important. I can alway look around here some.

but if you do find one and if someone else needs one you can let them have it.
[size=75]2002 Yellow Crewcab, Gaylord X2000 Lid, Ventvisors, Painted to match bugshield, Stepshields, K&N filter,rear swaybar, Bed X-tender,Window Tint, 1.25" wheel spacers,overhead console with trip computer, steering wheel with radio controls, bilsteins, optima redtop, taylor wires. flowmaster 40 muffler, energy suspension swaybar bushings[/size]
turkeestalker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by turkeestalker »

You're second, and from what I see, the only other person who showed any interest, (I think everybody else must have em but us)! So, I will find one and if you are alright with the price I will send it to you
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

Hey Turkeestalker, Where is Cottleville ? I'm at Kimberling City, 'bout 35 miles south of Springfield on 13, right near Tablerock Lake. There are at least 5 other CC's around here plus me, but trying to contact any of them, other than following them till they stop is not very easy. Besides some of us hillbillies carry guns, I mean you never know when something might need a warning shot , after all we do have a right to protection. I'm just kidding, but there are still some old school thoughts around here. Anyway where are you ? Horsehammerr 8) :lol:
turkeestalker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by turkeestalker »

Hello neighbor! :wave:
Just west of the Missouri river in St. Charles county. Podunk little town sandwiched in between St. Peters and Ofallon (zip is 63338). I built a house here in '94, and it has exploded growth wise since. I'd say that I'm less than a half hour west of St. Louis no matter what bridge over the Missouri river you take to get there.
Ditto on chasing them down, I've seen quite a few, but I'm not so sure that would be taken to very kindly.
Just Wednesday of last week I was picking up a Westin Safari light bar from a lady that I'd found on Craigs List for $50, and her friend said she had a ZR5 like mine in yellow. I told her about the site and she said she'd check it out, but I've not seen any new members pop up on the list from my area yet.
Talk about a deal, the bar was purchased in '01, still in the box and never installed, then I found the mounting brackets from Amazon for $32 and change with free shipping! Got it on the truck for under $85! :thumb:
I was caught in a lay-off for 4 months in early '96, and had the chance to take a call for a temporary job near Kimberling....talk about a commute!
Jim
brandons4door
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by brandons4door »

Last one to the party here but I'd be interested in skids. I'm sure I'm leaving my stupidity swinging in the wind when :oops: I ask: Whats the composite shields made of and whats the advantage to them over aluminum?
thanks
brandon
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Composite shields are carbonized fiberglass.

Composite skid plates do not resonate sounds of impact as do aluminum skid plates. The composite plates are lighter than aluminum.

How Strong Are Composite Skid Plates?
It depends on what materials, the number of layers, and resins used. They do protect very well, although resistance to repeated impacts and abrasion is limited.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK