4WD performance

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

unvth1s
Regular
Regular

4WD performance

Post by unvth1s »

I bought my truck december 1st and used cruise control and that went out. I used the 4x4 a couple times too and depend on it. When I push the 4HI it blinks once and then stays solid. But the performance when off-road the rear wheel's seem to have spin and I'm not sure if the transfer-case is giving the front wheels power. I went to a wet grassy part and looked out the window while driving and watched the front wheel. I punched it and the front wheel seemed to only go as fast as the truck, while the rear wheels were making small rooster tails. Is it possible there is a problem I need to get fixed? Or is it in 4x4 if the light is lit, I even tried 4LO and still had just rear wheel spin. It seems like if there was a problem with the system and 4WD isn't working the 4HI and 4LO button lights wouldn't lite up would they? Any help is greatly appreciated
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

Encoder Motor and the TC Vacuum Switch?

check out this thread

also do a search. there are a lot of threads on this issue.
[size=75][color=blue]2003 S-10 crew cab[/color][/size]
[size=75][color=red]6in superlift[/color][/size]
unvth1s
Regular
Regular

Post by unvth1s »

Steve2003 wrote:Encoder Motor and the TC Vacuum Switch?

check out this thread

also do a search. there are a lot of threads on this issue.
Thanks! I've tried searching but when I search it doesn't allow "qoutes" for example "4x4 broke" search and all the results are threads with the word 4x4 OR broke in the post. Instead of finding posts that include keyword search "my '4x4 broke' and need help" etc etc. thx again
unvth1s
Regular
Regular

Post by unvth1s »

well,
. . just went through that post steve2003 suggested. It really makes me miss the ol' 1997 maroon extended cab Ford f150 4x4. Had a manual lever (2HI 4HI N 4LO) I use an '82 1500 burban 4x4 for hunting. It has the 4WD lever (hand-me-down 2nd generation truck, got it from my Father he used for hunting) The odometer on that has rolled twice already and the 4WD lever is as loyal as man's best friend, it STILL WORKS!!. Brand new (technology wise) 03' S10 crew cab and I knew before I bought the truck that this electric "on-the-fly" (as GM dealers sale's PPL refer to it as) 4x4 button setup is kinda corny. Do you guys feel the same as me? Or do you prefer the implemented electronic push-button 4x4 system setup.
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Re: 4WD performance

Post by killian96ss »

unvth1s wrote:I went to a wet grassy part and looked out the window while driving and watched the front wheel. I punched it and the front wheel seemed to only go as fast as the truck, while the rear wheels were making small rooster tails. Is it possible there is a problem?
Do the same test again with a friend in the passenger seat.

The front diff is "open" so only 1 wheel will turn when you floor it and that 1 wheel might be on the passenger side since there is less weight on that side. :wink:

Steve
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

unvth1s wrote: Brand new (technology wise) 03' S10 crew cab and I knew before I bought the truck that this electric "on-the-fly" (as GM dealers sale's PPL refer to it as) 4x4 button setup is kinda corny. Do you guys feel the same as me? Or do you prefer the implemented electronic push-button 4x4 system setup.
Gotta agree with ya on the old dependable manual lever. :) I've had numerous "gremlins" :evil: in my electric shift too.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I like the push button 4x4. Call me lazy or something else. It is convenient.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

HenryJ wrote:I like the push button 4x4. Call me lazy or something else. It is convenient.
Hey Brule! Didn't say I didn't like the convenience. Just too darn many problems all the time. :cry: And Yeah I'm kinda lazy too! :lol:
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

My friend has manual 4x4 on his toyota. Just as fast if not faster than pushing the button. Its the same speed as shifting gears on his manual transmission but with no delay like the slight delay we get with pushing the button. and his truck is 14 years old with 0 4x4 downtime. Some things just weren't meant to be updated.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

green02crew wrote:Some things just weren't meant to be updated.
The main reason I was attracted to the electric shift in the first place was due to being a mailman. I sit on the rh side and reach over with left leg and arm to drive from pass seat. I removed the center console and tape player to accommodate this and thought at the time push-button shift would be handy and keep floor area clear for access. Bad choice in retrospect.
2kwik4u
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2kwik4u »

HenryJ wrote:I like the push button 4x4. Call me lazy or something else. It is convenient.
I concur!

It's still 95% mechanical anyway, and the entire set of electrical components on my Yukon can be replaced for ~$250 (collecting parts as I type).

I'll take the Autotrac transfer case, and electric front diff over any of the vacuum operated systems you find in the Jeep's, or the electric hubs you find in fords.
[size=75][url=http://picasaweb.google.com/2kwik4u]2kwik4u's pics[/url][/size]