Sick Dog But Got To Vent

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Sick Dog But Got To Vent

Post by BADs Crew »

This is long read. Sorry

On November 4th 2007 I took my 13 year old dog to the Banfield Pet Hospital because her apatite didn’t seem quite rite. The Vet ran some test and found that her white blood count was high and prescribed some antibiotics and vitamins. He stated that she had some kind of infection and thought possibility it was caused by her teeth and recommended that they be cleaned. He instructed me to give her the meds and follow up in two weeks. Vet bill: $251.00

She seamed to be doing better at her follow up examination on the 18th so I was told to go ahead and have her teeth cleaned and continue with the meds until her next visit. Before I left the office I scheduled the cleaning for November 27th. Vet bill: $95.30

Up until this point everything seams to be going well. On November 27th I go in at 7:30 to drop her off for the cleaning I think her appointment was for 9. I’m told I can leave her but they have to charge me $50 for kenneling. $50 for 1 ½ hours!! I can stay at a 5 star hotel for less. So I run her back home, fly to my first appointment, run back home pick her up and take her back to the vet. Sorry but I’m not paying for the dog 5 star. A few hours later I get a call from Banfield telling me they can not do the cleaning because she is not up to date on two of her shots. Why didn’t the vet know that when he told me to schedule the appointment? I tell them to give her the shots but I’m informed I have to wait 2 days before they can do the cleaning. I figured fine I will bring her back on the 29th. Vet bill this time: $106.20.

On the 29th I drop her off again for the cleaning and go off to work. Again I am called by the pet hospital and this time I am told they can’t do the cleaning because her blood count is off. Now I’m getting hot. First they tell me her teeth are causing the infection and I need to get them cleaned then I take her to get them cleaned and I’m being told they cant do the cleaning because her blood count is off.

Now at this visit I am dealing with a different vet. This vet tells me she thinks the other vet misdiagnosed the problem and wants to run more test at a cost of $610.39. I’m hot but I agree. This time they run more blood tests and take 5 x-rays and after the testing had all been completed the vet informs me she doesn’t know what is wrong with the dog and recommends I take her to a different hospital for more tests. Now I am really hot. My dog is in the same condition as she was when I first took her in and I am out $1062.89.

A week or so later I’m tossing the idea around in my head about putting her down or spending more cash at another vet. I decide that if I am going to take her somewhere else I want her records and x-rays from Banfield so I go pick them up. They are a little hesitant about giving them to me but finally give them up. When looking over her records I found that they only gave me 3 x-rays but charged me for 5. Banfield claimed it was a mistake and refunded my money but by now I really feel I getting the shaft. What is wrong with this place? Money first, pets health second? I might have just as well taken her downtown to a bus stop and had people guess what was wrong with her.

I have spent a lot of cash and I still have a sick dog. She was eating fine for a few weeks but now she hasn’t eaten for 3 days. I have tried everything. I don’t know if I should keep dropping cash into this or throw in the towel. Sorry to put you through all this reading but I had to vent.
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew , A.R.E Cap, Limo tint windows, Halogen Back up lights. Bilstein Shocks, 1.5 Rear Spacers, Summit Rear Diff Cover Clear Bumper Lights, Carbon Altezza Tail Lights, Billet Grill. SS Step Bars. GM full front bra. ,,, GM Quote concerning the gurgling heater core " They all sound like that"[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

What kind of dog?

A friend once said "They are dogs , not substitute children."
I hate to be callous, but I would probably have put the dog down. You only have a few years left at most. Some breeds are done after a dozen years.

I know all about losing a friend recently, and I did not have the heart to take care of the situation myself.

You are in a tough spot. Antibiotics will not solve the problem if there is a continuing problem. Dental concerns can be a cause. Can you brush the teeth yourself? Maybe another round of antibiotics?

My wife fed our old dog baby aspirin every day for a year to ease her pains and encourage her to eat.

Do what makes sense to you. I can not give you a definitive answer. That is in your heart.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

This is a call that only you can make, Bro! You have performed some miracle searches for me and assisted me in a bunch of situations! Being a pet lover and knowing what a professional partner meant to me makes me biased.

I have had good luck with Vets, since I have owned working dogs. I would ask them, up front if, it was time to "part ways"! I knew the vets well and trusted them. They told me "no" it wasn't the time. I sincerely hope it wasn't money feeding their responses but, each time it came to the point that they were failing before my eyes and emergency visits without charges to lay them to rest.

I would gather all records, seek an additional vet after research and ask him/her up front on what is the best course of action. I would also highly recommend that you are there if, the decision is made to say goodbye. It is not a picnic but, it will help you in healing with your loss.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

She's a Shih Tzu.... I know its going to be tough when she goes but I kinda feel if she was at a different vet that it would had been different. Like I said, I think they were more about the cash than helping the dog.

[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew , A.R.E Cap, Limo tint windows, Halogen Back up lights. Bilstein Shocks, 1.5 Rear Spacers, Summit Rear Diff Cover Clear Bumper Lights, Carbon Altezza Tail Lights, Billet Grill. SS Step Bars. GM full front bra. ,,, GM Quote concerning the gurgling heater core " They all sound like that"[/size]
Noma02
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Noma02 »

BADs Crew

Sent you a P.M.

John
[size=75]2002 Sonoma crew cab. Mod air box. drop in K&N air filter , Tonneau cover.[/size] Bug deflector, vent guards. Step rail next!
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

Update:

I took my dog to a different vet today and found she has a large tumor pressing against her stomach. She will be put down tomorrow morning and I am left to do the deed. The new vet found the problem that Banfield couldn’t. Banfield is very close to my home so I called them to find out the cost to put her down. I was told $230. The other vet quoted $108. I am not blaming anyone but it seams that Banfield wants to take it from you up to your pets last breath.

Peace
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

My condolences.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I am sorry for your loss.

Reed
Susan A Jackson wrote:May I go now?
Do you think the time is right?
May I say goodbye to pain filled days
and endless lonely nights?

I've lived my life and done my best,
an example tried to be.
So can I take that step beyond
and set my spirit free?

I didn't want to go at first,
I fought with all my might.
But something seems to draw me now
to a warm and loving light.

I want to go. I really do
. It's difficult to stay.
But I will try as best I can
to live just one more day.

To give you time to care for me
and share your love and fears.
I know you're sad and afraid,
because I see your tears.

I'll not be far, I promise that,
and hope you'll always know
that my spirit will be close to you
wherever you may go.

Thank you so for loving me.
You know I love you, too.
That's why it's hard to say goodbye
and end this life with you.

So hold me now just one more time
and let me hear you say,
because you care so much for me,
you'll let me go today.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
rickscrewcab
Crew
Crew

Post by rickscrewcab »

I've found that the younger vets seem to like to poke around and do more diagnostics than the older vets. We had an older neighborhood vet we took our dogs to for years. Max, our 10 year old male shepherd was put down because after months of ear infections, antibiotics and earwashes, his ear canal had swollen shut, and the vet said it was the humane thing to do because he was in so much discomfort.
We moved a few years ago to NJ, and started going to a younger vet in our new neighborhood. When we told him about Max, he looked at us like we were NUTS. He said he never heard of putting a dog down for that. It made us feel like crap. Max was my wifes big baby, and she still misses him alot.

My condolences in your time of grief. :cheers:
[size=75]2003 crewcab-flowmaster muffler w/dual exhaust and 12" stainless steel tips, cold air intake, color matched bug deflector, LED taillights, Lund tri-fold tonneau, projector foglights, clear corner lights, neft bars, billet grill, Huskey floor mats, molded mud flaps and a Hunter Grill guard. Mods for next years budget...2" body lift, fender flairs, bigger wheels and tires, CB radio.[/size]
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

f9k9 wrote:I am sorry for your loss.

Reed
Susan A Jackson wrote:May I go now?
Do you think the time is right?
May I say goodbye to pain filled days
and endless lonely nights?

I've lived my life and done my best,
an example tried to be.
So can I take that step beyond
and set my spirit free?

I didn't want to go at first,
I fought with all my might.
But something seems to draw me now
to a warm and loving light.

I want to go. I really do
. It's difficult to stay.
But I will try as best I can
to live just one more day.

To give you time to care for me
and share your love and fears.
I know you're sad and afraid,
because I see your tears.

I'll not be far, I promise that,
and hope you'll always know
that my spirit will be close to you
wherever you may go.

Thank you so for loving me.
You know I love you, too.
That's why it's hard to say goodbye
and end this life with you.

So hold me now just one more time
and let me hear you say,
because you care so much for me,
you'll let me go today.

Well that took a recovery period. :cry: That was rite up there with Taps at my fathers military funeral and the death of Dale Earnhaurt. Thanks Reed :lol:
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

BADs Crew wrote:..............Well that took a recovery period. :cry: That was rite up there with Taps at my fathers military funeral and the death of Dale Earnhaurt. Thanks Reed :lol:
You know where my heart is, Bro!
I sincerely feel your pain!
BADs Crew wrote:................She will be put down tomorrow morning and I am left to do the deed.............................
It will be emotional, as he_l but, she will appreciate you being there! Later you will be glad you were there. It is painless and she will fall asleep with you there touching her. I guess that I am pretty much out of words here.
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

I know where you heart is Reed. Here is her last pic. Delete the thread when you want HJ. Life goes on.

F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HJ just lost a friend too. The thread will be buried soon enough. Someone in a similar situation will dig it up again when they are going through a similar situation.

Brule did recently with A Good Cop went off Duty last Night!! It will startle you but, it will also help you heal. You can offer them your experiences and thoughts. You can assist them and heal at the same time.
HenryJ wrote:A toast

"We come from the dust, we return to the dust. I spill my drink for those in the dust ...with hope that someone will spill for me."

I will spill my drink for her. :cheers:
rlrnr53
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by rlrnr53 »

I know what you are going through. I have had dogs all my life. when i was a teenager, we had to put down a dog that had been with us for about 12 years due to a similar problem. It wasn't easy then and it doesn't get any easier. I'm sorry to hear what you are going through, and I know that it will be hard on the family, but you will overcome this traumatic time in your life
[size=75]Mitch
2001 Polo Green Metallic, no mods,(can't afford any)[/size]
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

Absolutely the hardest task I ever had to do in my life.

Kirstie
RIP. 1/17/08

Thanks everyone for your concerns.