I got a new crew.

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

ace
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

I got a new crew.

Post by ace »

I'll have to post some pics but I traded my cc for a silverado CC z71. I did some research and found the 2005 silverado cc was shorter than the other years including the new ones. So I tried it in my garage and it fit!!! It's looks just like my s10 but on steroids. It's red with the black fender flares etc... Very nice truck. I loved my s10 and got a lot of complements about it. I wouldn't have traded it unless I found something like it just bigger. The avalanche was on my list too but the silverado had a little bit bigger bed and looked great. I'm sure I'll still hang around this site. Great people on this site.
[size=75]2005 Silverado Crew Cab Z71
SOLD! 2003 Red Chevy S-10 crewcab ZR5. 2" PA bodylift, 1.5" spacers, CB, Airshocks, 31" Mickey Thompson MTX Tires, raised step bars, Flowmaster super 40 with 2.5" mandrel bent pipe from the Force II kit, gm vent visors, 12 volt bed outlet, airbox mod, zr5 tonneau, Bilstein shocks.[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Sad to lose a s-series member, but glad you are happy.
Some things to watch for: The instrument cluster is a problem. Speedometer erratic or complete failure are covered by an extended mileage special policy. GM will cover the repairs up to seven years or 70k.
O2 sensors are gone by 100k miles.
The throttle pedal assembly wears out and the TPS sensor. This is drive by wire so the TPS sensor is only available as part of the complete TB assembly. The pedal assembly is not repairable either, so you get to replace the whole thing too.
They seem to handle the Dex better as the system differs quite a bit from the old 4.3L and 5.7L blocks. The water pumps go at about 75k-100k. Not too bad to change though.
Hopefully you have the G80. the open differentials have soft side gears and chew up spiders very frequently. Switch to a G80 as fast as you can. They hold up great. Even the updated spiders don't cure the open differential gear problem. The carrier is too soft and the pin gets loose too.
Keep an eye on the tank vent valve. If it has been in dusty conditions it needs attention to prevent plugging the charcoal canister.
Service that transmission regularly. It is the same 4L60E. You get the tow mode that helps the life quite a bit.
Don't look at all this as bad. Everything has their bad stuff. Just a heads up for a good future.
Enjoy!

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
ace
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ace »

Don't worry I don't look at it as bad. I'm sure we could make a list for the s-series too. Luckily the Z71 includes the G80. Even more lucky I have a chevy mechanic in the family. :D
SOLD! 2003 Red Chevy S-10 crewcab ZR5. 2" PA bodylift, 1.5" spacers, CB, Airshocks, 31" Mickey Thompson MTX Tires, raised step bars, Flowmaster super 40 with 2.5" mandrel bent pipe from the Force II kit, gm vent visors, 12 volt bed outlet, airbox mod, zr5 tonneau, Bilstein shocks.[/size]
ace
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ace »

Here's a picture of the S CC before and now the silverado.

Let the mods begin!!
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

So you went to the dealership and said supersize me is that it? Looks good, I would love to get one like that to replace my 89 Silverado.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
ace
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ace »

My crew is supersized. That's a good way to put it. I'm really amazed how much higher you sit up in the silverado. I'm already looking at accessories. I need some step bars, ventshades, bug deflector, etc..etc....
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Jeez! Roof rack , step bars and bed rails I it would be hard to tell the difference in the photos.

I like your choice! I am sure you will be happy. Mileage will be about the same. Let us know what you find for good mods.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Rebel-Chevy
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rebel-Chevy »

I would love to get one like that to replace my 89 Silverado.
are you interested in selling it?
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

My Silverado is a beater at this point in it's life. It's a regular cab with 8' bed. It has seen 18 NY and VT winters. It has patch panels in the bed and cab corners (starting to blister out again) a 5.0L with 124k on it (apx. 12mpg at best)and currently needs shocks, front brake lines, ball joints (original still in it), and tires. The dash gauges have a quirk in that they just quite working randomly and the only fix is to smack the dash or spent $400 on a new cluster. The blower motor has started to seize and requires a love tap now and then from a hammer to get it running and the A/C hasn't worked in years.
On the up side the interior is still really clean and I have replaced all the window and door seals as well as upgrading the stereo (I am pretty sure the stereo is worth more than the truck at this point) it has a bed liner and aluminum cap as well as class 3 hitch and new (5 yr old)rear bumper it's 4x4 that still works although the t-case seals have been shot for years so needs topping up occasionally.
Somehow I don't see getting much out of itImage
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
Rebel-Chevy
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rebel-Chevy »

My Silverado is a beater at this point in it's life
thats what they are for. im looking for an older one (before 94) with the old body style.
Wrangler
Crew
Crew

Post by Wrangler »

HenryJ wrote:Sad to lose a s-series member, but glad you are happy.
Some things to watch for: The instrument cluster is a problem. Speedometer erratic or complete failure are covered by an extended mileage special policy. GM will cover the repairs up to seven years or 70k.
O2 sensors are gone by 100k miles.
The throttle pedal assembly wears out and the TPS sensor. This is drive by wire so the TPS sensor is only available as part of the complete TB assembly. The pedal assembly is not repairable either, so you get to replace the whole thing too.
They seem to handle the Dex better as the system differs quite a bit from the old 4.3L and 5.7L blocks. The water pumps go at about 75k-100k. Not too bad to change though.
Hopefully you have the G80. the open differentials have soft side gears and chew up spiders very frequently. Switch to a G80 as fast as you can. They hold up great. Even the updated spiders don't cure the open differential gear problem. The carrier is too soft and the pin gets loose too.
Keep an eye on the tank vent valve. If it has been in dusty conditions it needs attention to prevent plugging the charcoal canister.
Service that transmission regularly. It is the same 4L60E. You get the tow mode that helps the life quite a bit.
Don't look at all this as bad. Everything has their bad stuff. Just a heads up for a good future.
Enjoy!
I never really heard of these problems. I know the slip yoke, intermediate steering shaft clunk, G80 greneding, intake manifold gasket and brakes being common issues for the full size.
Wrangler
Crew
Crew

Re: I got a new crew.

Post by Wrangler »

ace wrote:I'll have to post some pics but I traded my cc for a silverado CC z71. I did some research and found the 2005 silverado cc was shorter than the other years including the new ones. So I tried it in my garage and it fit!!! It's looks just like my s10 but on steroids. It's red with the black fender flares etc... Very nice truck. I loved my s10 and got a lot of complements about it. I wouldn't have traded it unless I found something like it just bigger. The avalanche was on my list too but the silverado had a little bit bigger bed and looked great. I'm sure I'll still hang around this site. Great people on this site.
You need a waitforme tune to remove some of that torque management. :wink: I hate people beating me off the line.
bwenny247
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bwenny247 »

ace wrote:I'm already looking at accessories. I need some step bars, ventshades, bug deflector, etc..etc....
If you want a great deal on some NASTA 100% Stainless step bars, i've got the ones i took off my 05 silverado crew cab. They've just been sitting in the garage since summer. PM me if you're interested.

Here's a list of things i've noticed with my truck to keep an eye and ear out for:
1. intermediate steering shaft, clunk when turning felt in the steering wheel
2. while using cruise and going down a steep hill, the truck feels like it's surging. there's a TSB out on it, local dealer won't acknowledge it.
3. clunky shifting, GM claims this is normal, dealer won't acknowledge it
4. the DIC is ALWAYS optimistic
5. keep the tailgate latches lubed...they tend to get stuck

did you get the 3.42 gears or 4.10's?
with 3.42 you might find the truck a little too low in the RPM band while cruising up hills, the truck will constantly downshift. but on flat ground you can push 20+ MPG.
With my 4.10's there's no problems cruising up hills but mileage suffers. best i've ever got was 18MPG on a 200 mile trip.

Congrats on the new rig, i think you'll be very happy with it. I love mine. let me know about those step bars.
[size=75]*SOLD* 5" BDS, 2" PA, 33" MT's, HPPIII , Airaid TB spacer, K&N FIPK, March pulleys, 2.5" straight pipe, Trucktec tonneau, Herculinered body line down, 3/16" custom skid plates[/size]
Wrangler
Crew
Crew

Post by Wrangler »

Bummer if they were for a extended cab I would snatch them up!
ace
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ace »

I got the 3.42 gears which I was a little worried about at first but I think it will be ok. I was looking at several rigs and all had the 3.42 gears. My s10 had the 3.42 gears but it didn't have enough power to back that gearing. I know the steering shaft had been in for a tsb. My family member which is a chevy mechanic said these trucks are built really well and he really likes them. I'm looking for black step bars first but I will keep stainless in mind.
Thanks for letting me know.
ace
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ace »

After having this truck for a couple of weeks. I really like it a lot. It's quick, rides great, and is very roomy. I told my wife it's like driving our couch. Couldn't be happier. If your looking for more room, nice ride, and more power the silverado is excellent.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Looks great! Glad you are enjoying it.Image
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]