Would you you do it again ?Buy a S10 platform based TruckSUV

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

Yes
68%
No
30%
Undecided
3%

Total votes: 37

Blaze One
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Blaze One »

I sold my Blazer about 3 months ago , after numors problems it had to go .

However , I now drive a beater of a 88' Honda Accord !!! It has to go too , it runs great , but no cargo or functionality at all . But good MPG's .

So... would you guys/girls but another S10 Platform based truck/suv again ?

I am thinking purchasing a 95-97 FULLSIZE Silverado or Tahoe , but the V8 makes me re-think that idea (MPG suck ) .

The ideal way to go would be a S10 ZR2 Extened cab , but the 4x4 system and the BJoint issues concern me , as those are two of the many items I had to fix on my past blazer . But mine could have been a lemon .

Secondly , I only have a Budget of $7000-$10000 , so a Tacoma is out of the question incase some were thinking of that . :)

Cast your vote , and maybe a reason why .

PS> I am posting this question on this site/forum , because I value the expertise that this has given me over the past years . Thanks Again !!

Added poll-HJ
Last edited by Blaze One on Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[size=75]1995 Chevy Blazer 2dr 4x4 Limited Edition [/size]
Jigg
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jigg »

I would DEFINITELY buy another S-Series.

I've owned two, a 97 non-z blazer and a '00 ZR2 Blazer.

I replaced the original ball joints on my ZR2 at 110k miles... not bad IMO.

My 4x4 has always worked flawlessly, as well as my G80 locker.
[size=75][url=http://www.synergyoffroad.com]Synergy Offroad[/url][/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Well, I would probably buy again but, I would love to have a 2d 88-98 2 dr Tahoe with a 350 CI motor. I had one as a patrol vehicle and the mpg was not any worse than my '02 CC. I'd have to find a good deal on a S-Series platform though. I pass a small used car lot daily and it has a CC with under 10Kasking price on the windshield. I have no clue on the yr or miles but, CCs are a dime a dozen around here.

I would like to think that I will keep my cc and maybe get a FJ Land Cruiser or a new Rubicon when it comes time but, MPGs on them is not much better.

I am sure that is not what you are asking though :wink:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Blaze One
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Blaze One »

I know what you mean about the Tahoe's , I am very tempted to buy a 2dr hoe , as they are one of my favorite trucks . But the gas cost issue is keeping me away , although you make a good point that a 4.3 V6 in a zr2/ cc / suv etc . is not going to be much better .

Plus , with the "fullsize" suspension componets under the Tahoe's , there is added comfort of a more stable/heavy duty suspension .

But the , body style is a little out dated , but looks great with a nice detail and front grill .

I have been looking at many trucks for the last few months and have yet to beanble to make my mind up . Will I ever ? I dunno .
[size=75]1995 Chevy Blazer 2dr 4x4 Limited Edition [/size]
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

I have owned 5. A 85 Blazer 4wd. 85 short bed 2wd, 87 short bed 4wd, 95 Blazer 4wd and my Crew. I would buy a 2007 S-10 Crew if GM still made them. We still own the 95 Blazer as a DD and it still runs and rides like its new. Of course like any car or truck you have to keep up on maintenance. I have never had to replace an engine but did have 2 transmissions rebuilt.
When my first S-10 hit 170000 miles I had a 2.8 built to install in the truck. I ran the truck another 40000 mile before I had to trade it for my G-20 van because I started my own business and needed a bigger truck. I still have the engine on the engine stand. ( Any One Want To Buy A Professionally Built 2.8 With A Power Cam :wink: )
I think no matter what you buy your going to put money into it sooner or later. I would rather give my money to GM than anyone "BUT" ... Their Not Making What I Like. I understand that the new Colorado is under powered and I don't want or need a full sized truck. I don't know what I will buy next.
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew , A.R.E Cap, Limo tint windows, Halogen Back up lights. Bilstein Shocks, 1.5 Rear Spacers, Summit Rear Diff Cover Clear Bumper Lights, Carbon Altezza Tail Lights, Billet Grill. SS Step Bars. GM full front bra. ,,, GM Quote concerning the gurgling heater core " They all sound like that"[/size]
24digger
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 24digger »

Yes I would. I have owned 6 since '86 ,still have 2. Have always liked the s-10 for some reason. Would love to have one with a V8 someday :D
[size=75]2002 Yellow Crewcab, Gaylord X2000 Lid, Ventvisors, Painted to match bugshield, Stepshields, K&N filter,rear swaybar, Bed X-tender,Window Tint, 1.25" wheel spacers,overhead console with trip computer, steering wheel with radio controls, bilsteins, optima redtop, taylor wires. flowmaster 40 muffler, energy suspension swaybar bushings[/size]
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BobbleSmitty »

As much as I like my truck, I would probably have to pass on buying another one ever for the fact that it would have to be a used one. If they still made them, it's a possibility, but most likely I wouldn't. I haven't used the pickup bed all that much and I will probably switch to an SUV for my next vehicle. Right now, I've been looking at the TrailBlazer SS. Gas mileage is very similar, there's a lot more leg room for passengers, and it has a giant V8!! I have always wanted a sports car, but that just wouldn't be practical here in Cleveland seeing that nearly 5 months of the year, we have a good chance for some pretty bad winter conditions. Going with the TrailBlazer SS (with AWD), I get the performance of a sports car and the safety of the AWD for the snow.
[size=75]2004 S-10 Crew Cab ZR5 -*SOLD*-2" PA Body Lift - Air Shocks - 30x9.5" Cooper Discoverer S/T tires - 1.25" Rear Spacers - Clear Bumper Lights - Westin Safari - Light Bar w/ 100watt 6" Lights - Custom Stainless Steel V-force Dual Exhaust w/ 3" Black Chrome Slash Cut Tips - CB radio w/ 100watt PA speaker - Alpine MP3/CD Player - 10" JL Sub w/ 300watt amp - Low Profile - 'TonneauMasters' Tonneau Cover - In-channel Vent Visors - Airbox mod - Custom Front Tow Hooks - Debadged [/size]
DLP
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by DLP »

I have owned 4 S-10s. 87, 91, 01 and 03. The 87shortbox went through 3 throw-out bearings and 2 trannys in under 19,000. It was then turned into my all time favorite 350SB/400Turbo 4x4. The 91extended cab is still pushing snow but doesn't have much body left. The 01crew was a lease and never gave me a bit of trouble except for the crap oil lines. The 03 is also a crew. As a matter of fact, it's an exact copy of the 01 right down to the color. The seats aren't the same or as nice. Once again no problems except for the crappy oil lines.

As far as buying another S series? Not since they changed to the Colorado. I don't like the motor or the look. I just got the 03 paid off. That gives GM a couple years to come up with something better.
[size=75][b][color=blue]2003 Blue Crewcab[/b][/color][/size]
2kwik4u
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2kwik4u »

First new car I bought was my '00 Xtreme. Second near new car I bought is my '04 CC.

My next purchase will probably be a '92-'93 Typhoon (also S-series based).

I know the platform, the problems, and the benefits. I'm not a huge fan of fullsize trucks, although they get decent MPGs (as good or better than my CC), have a ton more capability, and are significantly cheaper to find. I like the slightly smaller truck, and will most likely stick with it for a good while now.

For you, I would reccomend two vehicles. Get a decent 4wd blazer, another CC, or perhaps an Extended Cab 4wd. Tons of utility in those platforms, and you'd probably enjoy driving them. THEN keep the daily beater POS honda. It gets good MPG, and will save the wear, tear, and gas bill of the S-Series.......If you can only have one truck. Get a 2.2/5spd 2wd truck. I've had the Xtreme for 200k miles now, it's a 2.2/5spd setup. I've beat the snot out of that truck, and it still gets over 20mpg during HARD city driving, and over 30mpg on the highway. With some airshocks you can haul whatever you want, and do some light towing (~2k limit IMO though). Plenty of MPG's and decent fun to drive.

Thats just me though.
[size=75][url=http://picasaweb.google.com/2kwik4u]2kwik4u's pics[/url][/size]
bwenny247
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bwenny247 »

fullsize, hands down. you can do all you want to a v6, but it'll still sound like a v6 :wink: get a good set of pipes on a smallblock and that's music to my ears.
my cousins fullsize z-71 extended cab gets 18 MPG on the highway and has power to spare. plus more room in the cab, more cargo area, more towing and hauling capabilities (if that's neccessary)
[size=75]*SOLD* 5" BDS, 2" PA, 33" MT's, HPPIII , Airaid TB spacer, K&N FIPK, March pulleys, 2.5" straight pipe, Trucktec tonneau, Herculinered body line down, 3/16" custom skid plates[/size]
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

I have had 3 so far 1st -84 Jimmy ,2nd-95 Blazer and the Crew. Actually there was an 86 Blazer also but it was just a powerplant transplant for the 84. I would like to get a ZR2 of one sort or another as my next toy. Although if I had deep enough pockets an Avalanche would be mighty nice.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

I'd probably buy another S-10 vehicle if they hadn't discontinued it. I like the small compact truck feel of it, yet I also like the versatility and maneuverability of the S-10. However, due to it being discontinued, I'll go fullsize on the next new purchase. I like the avalanche, Silverado's, etc, as long as it's a truck based Chevy/GMC Vehicle. :wink:
[size=75]'01 CC w/ a bunch of Mods. More always on the way.
Realization...All women need medication...Just find one on the right medication & make sure she stays on it!!!![/size]
JimmyDiamond
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by JimmyDiamond »

I've owned 3 s-series. 2000 Jimmy, 2001 Blazer & 2002 S-10. If space wasn't an issue, I wouldn't mind another S-10 like the one I had. It was a fun truck and waaaaaayyyy better looking than the POS Colorado.

I don't think I'd buy another S-series SUV though. Underpowered and not much interior room.
[size=75]2002 S-10 ZQ8- Too much to list= SOLD - 2003 Bonneville SLE - [url=http://images9.fotki.com/v187/photos/4/41590/841111/DSC00158-vi.jpg]2000 Jimmy Diamond Edition[/url] - 2006 Trailblazer LT V8 - 2006 Malibu SS[/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

I'm on my 3rd S-Series right now (2005 ZR2 Blazer 4x4, 2001 S10 Crew Cab 4x4 (wrecked 12/06 :( ), 1988 S10 Blazer 4x4. :D

I would definitely buy another one. :wink:

When I can afford another one I will likely get either a 2000+ ZR2 pickup or a 2002-2004 Crew Cab. :D

The Colorado/Canyon isn't even an option for me. :!:

Steve
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

While I'd like to say I'm 100% loyal to the S-Series, honestly I doubt I'd buy another one. When I think about everything I've done to my CC to get it to look like a decent 4x4, and then I look at other offerings like Taco's and Frontiers, and even full sizers, I tend to lean toward the latter three. Don't get me wrong, I love my truck, and plan on keeping it for a while, but I just don't think that I'd want to do everything all over again.
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
Torskdoc
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Torskdoc »

Definate keeper. This is my third S-series also. 83 2d 4WD Blazer (2.8-700R4), 92 Ext cab 2wd 2.8L 5spd. and the 02 CC. Growing size of Boys, major mods to house, and towing constraints forced sale/trade-in of 1st two. I was about to buy my dad's '95 Jimmy when the CC came along and the Banker (Ol' Ball & Chain) says get the CC as you need a pick-up. Ain't gonna say NO when the bank says do it!!! May still get the Jimmy in the future, tho. He's getting to the point where his body can't take the jarring of the Jimmy compared to mom's LeSabre Limited, even tho he loves driving it. This will be the last vehicle for me for at least 10 years (retired on SS Disability and the B&C is getting ready to retire in a year or two). So I have to learn/re-learn all I can about it. Anyone want to trade a Bravada for a 2000 Grand AM with 56,000 miles???? :wink: :wink: :wink: jk!

I also can't stand the Colorado/Canyon. Ugliest thing GM put on the Road. Even an EDSEL looks good compared to it. And what's with the center link running thru the oil pan???? Who's the MORON who dremt that up. An I-5?????How many balance shafts does that thing have. NO THANK YOU!!!!!!
2002 S-10 ZR-5 Quad-CAB
1995 GMC Jimmy 4Dr. SLT
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Personally I would go for a full size pickup. Gas mileage is similar to the s10 but theres power gains and it can be used for a much wider application. Also there tends to be more accessories made for the full sized. If they still made the s10 I would put it into consideration but most costs are comparable to the full size pickups, crew cabs atleast since they are fully loaded. The stripped full sizers are fairly cheap with a small v8 that still gets fair gas mileage and the vehicle itself is relatively inexpensive when they have good deals. New always has the option of a good warranty as well.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

For a Truck the Colorado/Canyon might take the ugly prize but overall I think the Pontiac Aztec is the ugliest GM ever built.
I wouldn't mind finding an s-10/blazer with autotrac as winter rat. I really wish it had been an option on the crews. Still looking for a ZR-2 someday as well, not right now though work just cut my hours and I need $1500 to get my big truck fixed to pass inspection guess it will sit in the yard for a while longer.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
mudtaxi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by mudtaxi »

i would buy again i have had a 95 s-10, 94 s-10 blazer 4x4, 89 s-10 blazer 4x4 and now my cc but i did give up some power for my cc i had a 94 fullsize blazer 4x4 that had a 350 and i took it anywhere i wanted to go but i love my cc
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

I would have to say no. I've had way too much trouble and expense trying to keep my CC running and serviceable. Not sure what I would replace it with possibly a Dodge or Toyota. Kinda like the Toy except the price. Ouch!
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.