Winched out a tractor trailer this morning

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Winched out a tractor trailer this morning

Post by quickbiker »

On my way to work this morning, I winched out a tractor trailer. There was no trailer, the couple was really in a bind. Since i know what it is to be in a bind, I helped out. Wish I had pics to share, but I'm sure the couple felt bad enough without taking pictures, lol. They were turning around on a narrow country road, and was bottomed out in a ditch. Too bad those trucks don't have lockers. It was a heavy pull, but my 12k lbs winch pulled it out fairly easy.
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Way to go Paul. No pictures would appear just like a S-10 pulling out a heep :wink:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

f9k9 wrote:Way to go Paul. No pictures would appear just like a S-10 pulling out a heep :wink:
:lol: Yes, we S10'rs are a humble bunch. :rig:
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

quickbiker wrote:On my way to work this morning, I winched out a tractor trailer. There was no trailer.
How did you pull out a tractor trailer when there was no trailer? :wink:

Actually they can lock in there rear(third) axle. normal driving they only use the first rear axle, most tractors have a switch to lock in the third axle. a lot of newbs don't know this. It's to be used when you get stuck on a driveway or in sand. (this may have not been the case in this instance) I have also herd of drivers using this lock in method when driving in snow. I have seen drivers get stuck in a bit of dirt and there rear wheeels were spinning and all they needed to do was lock in the rear axle.

That is pretty cool you pulled out a semi truck. I bet they sure were glad! The cost of having a semi tow truck pull them out would have been about $500 big ones.
[size=75][color=blue]2003 S-10 crew cab[/color][/size]
[size=75][color=red]6in superlift[/color][/size]
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

OK, at the time it was a "Semi-truck", hahaha. The axle lock didn't help him. I could see both his axles spinning, if he had a diff locker, he may have gotten out though. He sure did tear up a few tires!

I've used my winch way more times not wheeling than I have wheeling. I've found it an invaluable tool. For example, I helped my folks out at my old homestead winching huge trees close to the house when I chain sawed them, I've winched fellow workers near my work out of ditches in snow storms, I've used my winch for restoring a car (bending back in shape) I bought that was wrecked by hitting a dear. I've used it to pull out trees in my yard to transplant them to a different spot, I've used it to help a neighbor transplant huge bushes. It's just an amazing multi-use tool. After my Dad saw it in use, he wants one for his truck. He also wants a diff locker or posi. lol
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I have yet to use mine as a landscaping tool, but much of the rest sounds familiar :mg:

A picture pulling that semi tractor out of the ditch would have been priceless!

Same as my pulling the SuperDuty out, no pictures allowed, even if you had a camera, it would have failed to expose somehow :?

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK