Welders..?

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

Rusty Shackleford
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Welders..?

Post by Rusty Shackleford »

I am going to buy a '77 chevy stepside to fix up and I am going to have to weld in some new rocker panels and a new floor pan. I have never used a MIG welder before but it looks like its the way to go. Does anyone have any suggestions on what kind of welder (gas or no gas) I should go with. I dont need anything extravagant...just something versatile for small periodic jobs like this. Also I should probably try to find some literature on MIG welding...any suggestions??
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

Hobart. If ya got 230v, the 187, if 110v, the 140.
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
Rusty Shackleford
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

OK, cool...I did see those when I was researching. Thanks.
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

ya, if have access to 220, then get a 220.

if not, you can get a miller 175. you can set it up for 110. then if you ever get access to 220, you can switch over to 220 instead of buying another 700 dollar welder :) and use gas and .030 wire. start the puddle and stay in it and drag the puddle along the seam.....etc...you'll get it.
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
Rusty Shackleford
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

a2b wrote:ya, if have access to 220, then get a 220.

if not, you can get a miller 175. you can set it up for 110. then if you ever get access to 220, you can switch over to 220 instead of buying another 700 dollar welder :) and use gas and .030 wire. start the puddle and stay in it and drag the puddle along the seam.....etc...you'll get it.
Thanks for the input...i have access to 110 and 220 in the garage so Ill have to look into getting a 220. I hope I can get the hang of using a mig welder...Im welding areas where it really wont matter if the weld isnt pretty, but I really need it to hold. People always tell me a monkey can use a mig welder...so the pressure is on now.
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

Yea, if you click on details link of the different models it reads: "Skill lever - low". I still have my old 220v arc welder, but I wonder why I still use that thing when I watch someone mig weld. A world of difference. And you won't get the sloppy crud on it with the gas.
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]