Cold Start

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

daevans315
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Cold Start

Post by daevans315 »

I'm having problems with a 2002 Blazer 4wd that took over maintenance on but it isn't mine. Last winter we had to crank on it a long time to start when it was below 10 or so... below zero, it wouldn't start at all. I though it was water in the tank so I ran several tanks through with heat in it and it got better and then it got warmer. This fall at 100K I did Plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter and some other basic maintenance stuff. We just got our first extended cold snap and sure enough. Hard starting and no starting. Heat in the gas tank makes no difference and the vehicle has moved 200 miles so its not bad gas from the local gas station. No SES light, nothing pending. Just cranking on it will sometimes get it to start... Sometimes you can give up and leave it along for 30 mins and it will start normally.. sometimes not.

I don't think its getting fuel. You never smell gas at the tail pipe.

Any quick ideas?
[size=75]"The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?" - Bash.org[/size]
GeorgesBlazah
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by GeorgesBlazah »

Isnt there the needle under the hood that if you press it in gas will come out? Looks like a bike tire vavle stem? I wanna say schreader valve, but im not sure? maybe someone else can chime in. Do you hear the fuel pump buzz when it deos the no start?
[size=75]98 blazah w/ super stuff[/size]
kwalsh
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kwalsh »

Clogged fuel filter? valve sticking?
[size=75]"Pain = weakness leaving the body."[/size]
LonestarZ
Crew
Crew

Post by LonestarZ »

Maybe a stronger battery.. CCA=Cold Cranking Amps are probably on the low side.
[size=75]Dave

[url=http://www.zr2usa.com/members.php?a=member&id=545]2002 ZR2 5spd[/url][/size]
Jigg
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jigg »

fuel pump is my guess
[size=75][url=http://www.synergyoffroad.com]Synergy Offroad[/url][/size]
LonestarZ
Crew
Crew

Post by LonestarZ »

Never heard a fuel pump do that.. it either works or it doesn't.
[size=75]Dave

[url=http://www.zr2usa.com/members.php?a=member&id=545]2002 ZR2 5spd[/url][/size]
Jigg
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jigg »

Mine did it, so did my brother's.
[size=75][url=http://www.synergyoffroad.com]Synergy Offroad[/url][/size]
LonestarZ
Crew
Crew

Post by LonestarZ »

Just because it was cold outside?
[size=75]Dave

daevans315
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by daevans315 »

Did the fuel filter with the tune up. Fuel pump is suspect. Unfortunately the car is now 200 miles away from me in Madison WI. I've been trying to save her some money but I think its time to make a dealer appointment... :twisted:
[size=75]"The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?" - Bash.org[/size]
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

My moms car would do that when she used crap fuel from older stations. I found she had water in the fuel causing freeze up. It would fire if you sprayed starter fluid in it but nothing with out. I got her to start buying better fuels and using dry gas and the problem went away. Just a thought.
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew , A.R.E Cap, Limo tint windows, Halogen Back up lights. Bilstein Shocks, 1.5 Rear Spacers, Summit Rear Diff Cover Clear Bumper Lights, Carbon Altezza Tail Lights, Billet Grill. SS Step Bars. GM full front bra. ,,, GM Quote concerning the gurgling heater core " They all sound like that"[/size]
daevans315
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by daevans315 »

This turned out to be a bad ignition switch. When it was cold it wasn't supplying power to the necessary systems (computer, fuel pump ect) Only to the starter relay. The spring loaded contact was gummy so when it got very cold it wouldn't pop up and make contact.

This is my second weird problem on the s-10's that was solved with the ignition switch. My 97 would 'cough' every once in a while while driving. I it would sputter, and all the gauges would reset and then it would continue on like nothing had happened. That too was a bad contact in the ignition switch.
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

maybe you oughta start parking it in the garage on cold nights
[size=67][i]"Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."[/i][/size]
rlrnr53
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by rlrnr53 »

I've had similar experences on full size crews. A lot of heater problems were tracedback to the ignition switch.
[size=75]Mitch
2001 Polo Green Metallic, no mods,(can't afford any)[/size]