Family loss.

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Family loss.

Post by HenryJ »

Some may have noticed I have been gone for a while. There was a tragedy in the family.

Wallowa County Cheiftan news article
Wallowa County Cheiftan wrote:January 18, 2007
1/25/2007 4:00:00 AM
Two North End men die in gunfight
Woman arrested for assault and attempted murder

By Elane Dickenson
Wallowa County Chieftain

A North End woman has been arrested in connection with a tragedy of Old West proportions that resulted in the shooting death of Dennis Alan Beach, 55, and Shane Howard Huntsman, 40, in the rugged North End country of Wallowa County, where both men lived.

Investigation into the case is continuing, but in a development announced Tuesday evening, Wallowa County Sheriff Fred Steen said that "evidence had fallen into place" that day and one person, Donna Dunning, 59, of Rye Ridge Road, was arrested and taken into custody in connection with the case.

She was booked on felony charges of second-degree assault and attempted murder, both Measure 11 offences, which carry mandatory minimum sentences, at the Umatilla County Correctional Facility. The sheriff declined to give any details about the charges pending against Dunning.

Sheriff Fred Steen of Wallowa County Sheriff's Office reported Saturday that evidence indicated that Dennis Beach and his son, Travis Beach, 28, went to retrieve cattle from "a private ranch" north of Flora and about 35 miles north of Enterprise. A dispute erupted there with Huntsman, who was there with Dunning to take care of livestock on the ranch while the owners were away.

"Dennis Beach was subsequently shot during the altercation, as was Shane Huntsman," the sheriff said. "Two other subjects who were there at that time were also injured during the altercation. They were treated and released at a local hospital."

According to family sources, in the course of a confrontation, Huntsman shot Dennis Beach off of his horse with a rifle, and Huntsman was shot with the same gun by Travis Beach during a subsequent fight.

In announcing Dunning's arrest, Steen confirmed that the two subjects injured during the altercation and treated at the local hospital were Travis Beach and Dunning. However, he would not comment on the identity of the shooters, saying, "This is very much an open investigation." He said that additional charges could eventually be filed.

The sheriff identified the private ranch as being the residence of Tom and Laura Beach, who were away from home. Tom Beach is Dunning's brother, and both were the first cousins of Dennis Beach and members of the fourth generation of a ranching family that settled in northern Wallowa County in the section known as Paradise in 1889. Huntsman was a long-time Wallowa County resident, as well as friend and housemate of Dunning.

Additional evidence and facts gathered in the case by lead investigator Deputy Eric Kozowski, Steen and others could ultimately be turned over to a grand jury, according to Wallowa County District Attorney Mona K. Williams.

The shooting was originally reported via 911 calls about 3:30 p.m. on Jan. 18. Steen said that one of the calls came from Travis Beach and one of the others he believed was made by Dunning.

The Wallowa County Interagency Special Assignment Team, with assistance from the Oregon State Police, responded to the ranch location. The scene was secured and both victims were identified and determined to be dead.

Steen said that some questions had been raised about the time it took to respond to the scene, but emphasized that protocols were followed that are designed to protect the safety of both officers and the public.

The sheriff said that four cattle believed to be involved in the fatal dispute were taken to the brand inspector Monday and it was determined that the cattle belonged to or were under the control of the Dennis Beach family.

Sheriff Steen said that approximately 25-30 people, including crime lab and forensic personnel and a state Department of Justice investigator, have so far been involved in the homicide investigation.

Gerald Perren of Enterprise, Dennis Beach's uncle, said he'd talked briefly to Travis Beach, who was treated at Wallowa Memorial Hospital for a head injury incurred following the shooting incident, reportedly by being hit on the head with a rock.

"What a traumatic experience, seeing your father shot dead in front of you. And then, if they were beating him with rocks...he was probably concerned for his own life...We believe it to be self-defense," Perren said.

Travis Beach was married last June to Holly Hanson and the couple is expecting a baby this spring. He is a 1999 graduate of Enterprise High School.

Perren said he believed the confrontation stemmed from a reported altercation about ownership of cattle the previous week. "It was all so senseless," he said.

A cousin of Shane Huntsman, Joanne Smith, contacted the Chieftain to say that she did not want to see her cousin "to be painted as a monster," adding, "There are two sides to every story."

" This is a horrible thing. This is an absolute horrible thing that happened," Steen said. He noted the deaths were even more tragic because Wallowa County is such a small community. "These aren't strangers. These are people we all know," he said.
Dennis Beach was my brother-in-law. His son Travis is my nephew.

Just sad that something like this happens over cows. The community is behind them. There were thousands present for the services and celebration of life. Tears shed and stories shared. The healing has begun.

I am not looking for sympathy. There has been plenty of that spread around for the last week.

If you do anything, please treat everyday as if it was your last. You just never know when the ride will end.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
rlrnr53
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by rlrnr53 »

Sorry to hear about your loss. It hits home, because my wife lost her mother about 2 weeks ago.
[size=75]Mitch
2001 Polo Green Metallic, no mods,(can't afford any)[/size]
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

Sorry to hear the bad news HJ.

When I was 20 I lost my older brother to a work related accident after he had spent 8 years in Vietnam, from the time I was 12 to the time he passed I only had 6 months to get reacquainted with him, he was 27 at the time , at 34 I lost my dad who had just turned 80, then 2 years later I lost my 44 year old sister to a brain aneurysm. I know the pain of loosing a family member.

I agree with HJ... "If you do anything, please treat everyday as if it was your last"

Peace
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew , A.R.E Cap, Limo tint windows, Halogen Back up lights. Bilstein Shocks, 1.5 Rear Spacers, Summit Rear Diff Cover Clear Bumper Lights, Carbon Altezza Tail Lights, Billet Grill. SS Step Bars. GM full front bra. ,,, GM Quote concerning the gurgling heater core " They all sound like that"[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

BADs Crew wrote:. ............I agree with HJ... "If you do anything, please treat everyday as if it was your last"

Peace
X2, I tried to express the same about a 'lil bro that I lost last yr. We may think that we are all bullet proof but, we are all just a moment away from the present.

And, I ain't even remotely friggln' religious!

I do respect those that are!

Reed
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
LonestarZ
Crew
Crew

Post by LonestarZ »

Damn... words just dont cover it. :(
[size=75]Dave

[url=http://www.zr2usa.com/members.php?a=member&id=545]2002 ZR2 5spd[/url][/size]
huntsman2002crew
Regular
Regular

Post by huntsman2002crew »

I dont see how someone cold do something so stupid over something so small
2kwik4u
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2kwik4u »

My condolences over what is a completely unnecessary death in the family.
[size=75][url=http://picasaweb.google.com/2kwik4u]2kwik4u's pics[/url][/size]
rlrnr53
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by rlrnr53 »

HJ, your words hit home again today. Even though I haven't been a firefighter for about 10 years, an incident that happened today about 20 miles from me took the lives of 4 people when a gas station exploded. I feel for the families that lost loved ones, and those that were injured. It makes it a little harder, because I was a passing aquaintence of one of the ones injured. HJ, you probably feel the same pain that I do any time a first responder is killed in the line of duty. To paraphrase HJ, live every day as though it were your last.
[size=75]Mitch
2001 Polo Green Metallic, no mods,(can't afford any)[/size]
LonestarZ
Crew
Crew

Post by LonestarZ »

Dare I even ask how a gas station explodes.. :?: :(
[size=75]Dave

[url=http://www.zr2usa.com/members.php?a=member&id=545]2002 ZR2 5spd[/url][/size]
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

LonestarZ wrote:Damn... words just dont cover it. :(
Exactly. Condolences to all who have people suffering.

For the WV gas station explosion, it is suspected to have been a propane leak that ignited. I've stopped at that very gas station several times passing through, except two weeks ago en route to GA.
[size=75]'01 CC w/ a bunch of Mods. More always on the way.
Realization...All women need medication...Just find one on the right medication & make sure she stays on it!!!![/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

rlrnr53 wrote:... you probably feel the same pain that I do any time a first responder is killed in the line of duty...
Yes. It hits way too close to home.
I would venture to say there will be some valuable training done after the incident.
I have been involved with a few gas station fires. Static electricity, and a pilot light on an RV water heater were the causes I can recall.

The van fully involved impinging a 1000 gallon propane tank that is venting fire 40+ feet into the air had a little pucker factor. That one would have leveled most of downtown if we did not get it shut down properly.

You just never know when your time will come.

Training, training, and most importantly ... training. That protects you. #2 protect the ones you love and tell them you do every day.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Travis had his deposition yesterday and they ruled it justifiable homicide. Sounds like he is in the clear, as if there was any doubt.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

You never know with any Jury. I am glad it came out the way it did.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]