Always asking myself if I should go fullsize.

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

ace
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Always asking myself if I should go fullsize.

Post by ace »

The crew is fine for me but it seems when tall guys get in my truck they are cramped. Then when I take my truck camping I pull a camper about 3500 pounds plus gear and bikes I start thinking maybe I should go fullsize. My mileage on the crew is about 16 mpg average. When I'm towing it's about 13. I know of a fullsize crew cab for sale with the 5.3 right now for about $20k. It has 27k miles. It's really got me thinking. I drove it and it seemed huge to me. What's your guy's opinions?
[size=75]2005 Silverado Crew Cab Z71
SOLD! 2003 Red Chevy S-10 crewcab ZR5. 2" PA bodylift, 1.5" spacers, CB, Airshocks, 31" Mickey Thompson MTX Tires, raised step bars, Flowmaster super 40 with 2.5" mandrel bent pipe from the Force II kit, gm vent visors, 12 volt bed outlet, airbox mod, zr5 tonneau, Bilstein shocks.[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Go fullsized. Lots have.

I like the better mileage of the small truck. Yes , I did say better. They are slightly better on average.
The small truck suits my needs better. I can squeeze in places a fullsize must go around.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
ace
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ace »

I'm thinking about it but for some reason I don't like driving huge vehicles. I like the nimble ability of the crew. It's easy to park and it fits in the garage nice too. On the other hand I know that a fullsize would tow nicely.
SOLD! 2003 Red Chevy S-10 crewcab ZR5. 2" PA bodylift, 1.5" spacers, CB, Airshocks, 31" Mickey Thompson MTX Tires, raised step bars, Flowmaster super 40 with 2.5" mandrel bent pipe from the Force II kit, gm vent visors, 12 volt bed outlet, airbox mod, zr5 tonneau, Bilstein shocks.[/size]
Wrangler
Crew
Crew

Post by Wrangler »

I went from a 1995 Sonoma to a 2004 GMC Sierra. I Just bought a 2003 S-10 crew in November and I am saving lots of money....well putting it back into the truck right now LOL.

The Sierra had a ton of power and lots of room and almost all the options you needed and wanted but the size and cost was more then I wanted. Tags cost $30 more a year, insurance cost more, gas cost more, took longer to clean and harder to park and drive where I live. I had a extended cab and trying to get kids in the back seat was always a challenge in parking lots as someone would always park me in. :x Some side streets here are narrow and people park in the middle of the road making it a chore to get around sometimes. I don't have those problems anymore. I am just happier with the S series truck personally. I thought I could get used to the size of the Sierra but never really did. Gas was a $1.87 when I bought it and that hurt alot when gas prices went to over $3 a gallon driving aleast 35 miles a day.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Full-size is the only way to go if, you need to tow a heavy load on a regular basis. As previously mention, expenses will go up drastically! More oil at oil changes, higher tire costs and the list goes on. If, you wheel at all then the number of places that you can squeeze through will greatly reduced.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
kermit
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kermit »

The S-10 is perfect for my needs...
Agile and manuverable off road.
Better fule mileage on average.
A backseat that is just as big if not bigger than a fullsize truck.
Weighs less which makes a trememdous difference off road in mud and/or snow.

On the other hand, if you don't need the manuverability off road, and would use the truck to tow on a regular basis where the extra weight and power would make a difference then go fullsize.

Either way, do what works for you.
2003 Dark Green S-10 Crew Cab 4x4 with 265/70R17 Nitto Terra Grapplers on 17x8 Black Rock Type D Series 909B Wheels, TB crank, Boise Spring Works rear leaf spring kit, 2" PA body lift, Skidz Custom Cut-Out Fender Flares
snocat1
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by snocat1 »

How about going to a Nissan Frontier? :shrug: I that you can get a long bed with a 2007.
[size=75]2001 crew cab with a quick hatch tonneau cover
235/75/15 bridgestone dueler at revos[/size]
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BobbleSmitty »

Get the new silverado! That's probably my next truck
[size=75]2004 S-10 Crew Cab ZR5 -*SOLD*-2" PA Body Lift - Air Shocks - 30x9.5" Cooper Discoverer S/T tires - 1.25" Rear Spacers - Clear Bumper Lights - Westin Safari - Light Bar w/ 100watt 6" Lights - Custom Stainless Steel V-force Dual Exhaust w/ 3" Black Chrome Slash Cut Tips - CB radio w/ 100watt PA speaker - Alpine MP3/CD Player - 10" JL Sub w/ 300watt amp - Low Profile - 'TonneauMasters' Tonneau Cover - In-channel Vent Visors - Airbox mod - Custom Front Tow Hooks - Debadged [/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

ace wrote:Always asking myself if I should go fullsize.
I think that is the key. If you are always asking, you already know the answer...

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
ace
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ace »

I took home a 2004 crew cab silverado for a test drive weekend. It had pro's and con's. The ride was real nice and comfortable. It was like driving a couch. The power was awesome but it really felt big. The biggest minus for me was that it didn't fit in the garage. It's almost 20 feet long and my garage is 19ft. So that means scraping windows in the morning when it's parked outside. It also means more wear and tear on the outside of the truck. Something was definitely missing when driving it too. I think it was the feel of the road or something. It would be great for long trips though. I took it back and actually liked getting into my CC. If I could just get the ride where I liked it I would be satisfied. It's my own fault though because I have the t bars cranked up and I have the air shocks in the back pumped up a little too but I like the look too much. I let some air out of the air shocks today and it felt a little better but still not where I want it. I guess I should of went with bilsteins in the front and back and done air bags instead for towing. I just might end up doing that too. It will be about $450. The CC really does have a lot going for it. I'm sure some new vehicles might be better etc. but I'm not in the market for new. In the mid-size trucks their are some nice ones but really not that much better than the crew to trade in and suffer an higher payment etc. In the end I'm sticking with the crew.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Glad you made your decision using what made sense to you.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

If you get a chance try out an Avalanche. It might be the combination that works?

- ThunderII KE7CSK
ace
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ace »

An avalanche just might fit in the garage too. I may have to check one out someday. Drive it home again and check it all out.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I know several that love their Avalanches. Melloyellow (Bennie) likes his still.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Snoman002
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Snoman002 »

HenryJ wrote:I know several that love their Avalanches. Melloyellow (Bennie) likes his still.
My Brother is on his second and he loves his. I have driven it a few times and that thing is awesome, plenty of power for a truck, handeling that is awesome and plenty of room inside and out for what we do, heck if you need more bed room a trailer might be a good investment just for the loading height anyways.

In all honesty if I could justify it I would have one sitting in the driveway right now, heck they get better fuel economy than the Bravada and passengers would have a heck of alot more leg room.

But alas, it's going to be a while since the Bravada is almost paid off and with the current money situation we will be debt free in ~5 months (except student loans), and after that it's on the hunt for a house.
[size=75][b]1991 GMC Sonoma Extended Cb[/b] - 4.3L Automatic, 2" BL, 31" BFG's.
[b]1992 Chevy T-10 Reg Cab[/b] - 4.3L 5spd, 3" Bl, 31" Mud Tires. Hooker long tube headers and true duals.
[b]1999 Oldsmobile Bravada[/b] - Wifes truck, all stock.[/size]