A close call

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

A close call

Post by Walt »

This has been a day. I got a call around 11AM from my mom, who was keeping both of my girls today. She and my father-in-law were on their way to the ER with my youngest little girl, Emily. Apparently my mom had given her one or two ounces of chocolate milk, and her face, lips, mouth, and throat starting swelling and breaking out in a rash. So they loaded her up and took off. Things got back when she started coughing and wheezing, which might indicate that her esophagus was blocked. So they called me about that time, and I left work in a hurry, and I met them at the ER, although I was a bit late. Long story short, everything is fine. My mom gave her a teaspoon of benedryl(sp), and that seemed to help the swelling. She's fine now, with no sign of the rash or swelling. We were very blessed today. The doctor said that if my mom hadn't given her the medicine when she did, that Emily would probably be in the hospital right now, or worse.
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BobbleSmitty »

Glad to hear everything turned out okay Walt!
[size=75]2004 S-10 Crew Cab ZR5 -*SOLD*-2" PA Body Lift - Air Shocks - 30x9.5" Cooper Discoverer S/T tires - 1.25" Rear Spacers - Clear Bumper Lights - Westin Safari - Light Bar w/ 100watt 6" Lights - Custom Stainless Steel V-force Dual Exhaust w/ 3" Black Chrome Slash Cut Tips - CB radio w/ 100watt PA speaker - Alpine MP3/CD Player - 10" JL Sub w/ 300watt amp - Low Profile - 'TonneauMasters' Tonneau Cover - In-channel Vent Visors - Airbox mod - Custom Front Tow Hooks - Debadged [/size]
coffeedrnkr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by coffeedrnkr »

ya, good to hear it turned out ok

have you found out what triggered it yet? or was she just allergic to the milk?
[size=75][url=http://s80.photobucket.com/albums/j162/coffeedrnkr15/]The Crazyblaze[/url]
d44/d60 5.13's, atlas 3.8
[/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

It's not a lactose problem, as that would've upset her stomach. There are very rare cases where lactose intolerance could cause these symptoms, but they're so rare the doctor ruled them out. He thinks that it is some type of ingredient/preservative in the pre-mixed chocolate milk because she's had small bits of chocolate pie before, as well as a bite of cereal a few weeks ago with no adverse effects. It is something that should could grow out of, but the doctor advised that we wait a long while before trying anymore chocolate milk.
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Allergic reactions are the body overreacting. You get exposed to an invader and your body builds antibodies to this invader so the next time it is ready.
The next time the invader arrives , the army of stockpiled weapons are used. This massive attack sometimes can forsake the body to attack the invader. That is what an allergic reaction is all about.
With time this build-up , or stockpile of antibodies, can decrease. Sensitivities can also be reduced as well.

Glad everyone is OK.

In the future you might consider 911. Paramedics can administer benadryl, as well as having a couple other good meds and methods of retaining an airway. The can usually be there faster than you can get to the services.
An allergic reaction with breathing difficulty is a life threatening event.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

I'm very glad to hear that she is doing better. Be thankful for your mother's quick thinking.
[size=75]'01 CC w/ a bunch of Mods. More always on the way.
Realization...All women need medication...Just find one on the right medication & make sure she stays on it!!!![/size]
kauaibuilt47
Crew
Crew

Post by kauaibuilt47 »

Good call on the benadryl. Most people in an emergency situation dont even think of it.

Add zantac next time too.

May want to consider an Epi (epinepherine) pen if her reaction is that bad. Its a lifesaver!
[size=75]Never get into an argument with an idiot. They only bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.[/size]
Jigg
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: A close call

Post by Jigg »

Walt wrote:We were very blessed today.
Absolutely.

My prayers are with you guys to figure out what caused the reaction. People are allergic to some pretty odd things. My youngest brother is allergic to red dye :?:
[size=75][url=http://www.synergyoffroad.com]Synergy Offroad[/url][/size]