My Crew Is Totaled

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

My Crew Is Totaled

Post by killian96ss »

I totaled my Crew Cab yesterday morning after running into a parked semi going 30 mph. :( The damage to the truck is unbelievable. :shock:

I was driving home yesterday morning near my house when all of a sudden a car going the other way crossed the center divide and was headed straight for me so I swerved in the opposite direction to avoid a head on collision. As soon as I swerved I noticed the parked semi truck, but it was already too late at this point and I slammed into the steel lift gate which suddenly stopped me. :( I was going about 30 mph when I hit the truck and I never got a chance to hit the brakes, so the impact was very harsh. :shock: The air bags did not deploy since I have been having problems with the air bag system for a while, but luckily I was wearing my seat belt which may have just saved my life. The driver of the car that caused the crash kept on going and since there were no witnesses it looks like this person will get away and I will be found to be at fault. :x

You guys would not believe how much damage my CC sustained for a somewhat slow speed accident, but let me tell you it was like hitting a brick wall that had no give to it. :( The front frame is badly twisted and the engine made it 4 inches into the cab. :o The steering wheel is bent pretty good where my head and arms hit it. :shock:

After I hit the truck I was knocked unconscious for a minute or so :| and when I got out of the truck I stumbled around for a minute before I finally collapsed. :( The paramedics did a great job with me and I am very thankful for their help. :D

I spent most of yesterday in the hospital while they ran a series of tests. I am very sore all over with a lot of bruises, but at least I did not sustain any major injuries. I promise I will get pics as soon as I get a chance to go down to the tow yard. You guys are going to be shocked by the amount of front end damage. :shock:

Me and my wife have decided that we want another Crew Cab, but we have not yet decided whether it will be a Tundra or another S10. :?:

I will post more when I start feeling a little better. :wink:

Steve
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

:shock: OMG!

Glad to hear you survived. I guess we may not have heard if you had not :(
The excessive damage may have been your salvation. The vehicle deformed and absorbed the impact lessening the forces transfered to you. It sacrificed itself to spare you.

Hope your recovery is full and speedy.

I am sure you know that a replacement S-series crew cab would cost significantly less than a Toyota. The Toyota would be my second choice as well. One advantage is that there may be some salvageable parts from your wrecked truck that could be added to a new S-series crew cab.

Feel better. Glad you are going to be able to enjoy the holidays! Live each day as if it was your last!

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

That’s terrible news but the important thing is that your ok and will spend the holidays with your family and not in the hospital or worse. I have never seen a crash test on the crew but the regular cab was tested and had a 3 star compared to the ext. cab coming in at a whopping 2. That sucks that your airbag didn’t deploy. This isn’t the first time I have heard this about the S-10. Anyone know if it can be tested at the dealer? I would like to know that mine is going to work if I need it.

I am a very defensive driver but I will be the first to stand my ground and blow the horn when I have on coming traffic drift over center. Id rather trade paint with them then hit someone else while they go on there merry way. I also like to scare the sh*t out of them in hopes it will make them pay more attention but that’s just me and I don’t recommend it to others.

I hope your feeling well for Christmas and you find the rite replacement for the Crew.
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew , A.R.E Cap, Limo tint windows, Halogen Back up lights. Bilstein Shocks, 1.5 Rear Spacers, Summit Rear Diff Cover Clear Bumper Lights, Carbon Altezza Tail Lights, Billet Grill. SS Step Bars. GM full front bra. ,,, GM Quote concerning the gurgling heater core " They all sound like that"[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The crash tests I have seen were not very good for the S-series. The front wheel intrusion on the frontal impact were reason for concern. Lower leg damage was the big risk, I believe?
I have been pleased to see pictures of damaged s-series crew cabs with relatively intact passenger compartments though.

I don't know how I would react in the situation. Any wreck you can walk away from is a win in my book.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
rlrnr53
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by rlrnr53 »

Glad to hear you are alright. It will be a year the 19th that my 96 extended cab was hit head on by a car crossing two lanes. I didn't hardly have time to hit the brake once I saw what was happening. IF i get a chance, I'll try to post pictures of the aftermath. All I can say is thank the Lordfor seatbelts and air bags. The worst that I had at the time was sore muscles and a very large nose for about two weeks.
[size=75]Mitch
2001 Polo Green Metallic, no mods,(can't afford any)[/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Good to hear that you're ok Steve. Did you get a look at the offending/idiot's vehicle by chance? My vote is for a Frontier CC, or another S-10 CC. :)
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
LonestarZ
Crew
Crew

Post by LonestarZ »

Glad to hear you made it in one piece. The crash ratings on the S10 do stink. Don't suppose you have any pictures.
[size=75]Dave

[url=http://www.zr2usa.com/members.php?a=member&id=545]2002 ZR2 5spd[/url][/size]
Snoman002
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Snoman002 »

Glad to hear you are OK.

Did you hit on the passenger side? Might be what prevented the problem HJ described.

Again, glad to hear you are OK.

It sucks that the guy who caused this ran, but in reality your OK and the loss of the truck and some legal issues is small is TINY compared to your life.
[size=75][b]1991 GMC Sonoma Extended Cb[/b] - 4.3L Automatic, 2" BL, 31" BFG's.
[b]1992 Chevy T-10 Reg Cab[/b] - 4.3L 5spd, 3" Bl, 31" Mud Tires. Hooker long tube headers and true duals.
[b]1999 Oldsmobile Bravada[/b] - Wifes truck, all stock.[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Oh man, I am so sorry to hear about your wreck. It hit me hard to read about it. You're like family to me. Glad to hear you are ok but, you'll hurt more today and worse tomorrow. I shouldn't be shocked that the other driver kept on going but, I am. Sounds like he or she was impaired and was afraid of getting busted. If, not impaired then they were probably on a freakin' cell phone and didn't even notice the carnage that they caused. As for the air bags not deploying I am not surprised. I had a kid hit me almost head on when I was in a government Tahoe in 2000. The airbags didn't deploy and it was almost a blessing that they didn't. I wore glasses at the time and I would hate to think of the damage that the bag would have caused. A trooper that was behind me in our convoy was an accident reconstructionist. He told me that since the impact was mainly on my side of the front is why they didn't deploy. He said it took 2 of the 3 sensors to activate the air bags. I have no way to confirm that but, in 2000 the info was correct according to him. I felt bad for my passenger that was with me. It was his third wreck in less than 24 hrs (sounds like my luck, doesn't it?). He was T-boned the previous afternoon, hit a deer going home the previous night in his new pick up and then was with me that morning.

Just get well and I am glad you are still with us.

My vote is for the Taco!
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

Glad to see you are OK.

I vote for an avalanche.
[size=75]'01 CC w/ a bunch of Mods. More always on the way.
Realization...All women need medication...Just find one on the right medication & make sure she stays on it!!!![/size]
top_sgt
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by top_sgt »

glad you are OK!!!! sorry about your truck,,,, and advil works well for the bumps you have!!!
2004 S10 CC ZR5 4x4 >> traded for a 2006 F150 supercrew!!
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

WVHogRider wrote:I vote for an avalanche.
I would take a very close look at them too. That might be the best option.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
GeorgesBlazah
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by GeorgesBlazah »

Glad your ok and that no one else was hurt! Tkae it easy fora lil bit until your feeling better.
[size=75]98 blazah w/ super stuff[/size]
kwalsh
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kwalsh »

Thank goodness you are okay. You were very fortunate.
Forget about pictures of the CC; your focus on the recovery takes priority. Try to relax; some of the injuries associated with an impact like that may not show themselves for a few days.

Regards, Kevin
[size=75]"Pain = weakness leaving the body."[/size]
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

wow! :shock: That's to bad!.....your poor crewcab :( Oh! I'm glad you're ok :D What ever you decide on for a new truck, I hope you stay around. I don't post to much but I lurke quite a bit......your wealth of infomative information has been very valuable to me as I'm sure it has been to others. Good luck with what ever you decide and hope you feel better soon.
[size=75][color=blue]2003 S-10 crew cab[/color][/size]
[size=75][color=red]6in superlift[/color][/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

I am still very sore today, but I wanted to thank everyone who responded to this post. :D You guys are like my second family. :wink:

As much as I like the Avalanche it is a little out of the price range I'm looking at ($15k-$25k). I was not finished paying for my CC and I owe about as much as the truck is worth. :( My wife found a 2004 ZR5 Crew Cab about an hour from our home. :D The truck is black, has low mileage (20k), and looks very clean. :D The dealership is asking 20k for it, but I'm sure I can get them down to 18k with a little haggling. :roll: We looked at the Taco's a little bit, but I remember sitting in the back of one a few years back and the back seat was even smaller than the CC which is not good for our two children ages 5 & 12. :( The Tundra is nice and has a lot more room than the CC, however finding one in the price range posted above has been nearly impossible. :?

My medication (Norco) is making me a little dizzy right now so I'm going to get some more rest, but I will post more info and pictures as soon as I am able to. :wink:

Thanks again for all the support. :D

Steve
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

killian96ss wrote:As much as I like the Avalanche it is a little out of the price range I'm looking at ($15k-$25k).
Steve
:wink:
Black, In your $ range and California, and already Mod'd

link't

Link't that super long url :!: -HJ
[size=75]'01 CC w/ a bunch of Mods. More always on the way.
Realization...All women need medication...Just find one on the right medication & make sure she stays on it!!!![/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I have seen s-series crew cabs around here selling for $12k- $18k I think you can find one in your price range for sure. The one you are looking at sounds good.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Steve2003 wrote:.....your wealth of informative information has been very valuable to me as I'm sure it has been to others.

Glad you said it first :wink: I wanted to but, thought it would sound selfish if, I had said it :wink:

20K sounds high! I haven't seen one for sale over 15K in months but, I know there is an extreme cost of living difference between you and I. Thinking of your totaled CC made me wash mine today. I hadn't hand washed it in months and wished I hadn't. I found a nasty dent above a tail light guard that wasn't there a week ago.

Anyway, just rest up and don't feel like you need to respond to our posts until you are feeling up to it.

Steve2003, "informative information"? WTF was that? Sounds like the old Monte Python's skit on the "Department of Redundancy Department" :lol:

You know by now I am yanking your chain, Bro :wink:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
kermit
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kermit »

Sorry to hear about you and the crew. I'm glad you're alright and hope you find another at a reasonable cost. These little trucks are awesome for the money.
2003 Dark Green S-10 Crew Cab 4x4 with 265/70R17 Nitto Terra Grapplers on 17x8 Black Rock Type D Series 909B Wheels, TB crank, Boise Spring Works rear leaf spring kit, 2" PA body lift, Skidz Custom Cut-Out Fender Flares
bwenny247
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bwenny247 »

most importantly i'm glad that you're (relatively) alright. secondly i'm glad that your family is alright. sorry to hear of the loss of your crew cab, but it looks like it bit the bullet for you. i felt the same way when i crashed my s-10 at 45 MPH. the truck took all the damage and saved my life. you'll be bumped and bruised for sure, but the important thing is your alive to spend Christmas with your family.

If your looking for a ride that's just a little more bullet proof, i've got just the thing for you :wink:
Dream Wheeler
how about 3 ton planetary axles, 400 trans, 4 wheel steer, military grade 38's, and a 6.2Litre diesel powerplant
hehehe, had my eye on this for a looooooong time. just don't have the $$$$$
just some motivation to help you heal up quickly and make a trip to Michigan, lol :lol:
[size=75]*SOLD* 5" BDS, 2" PA, 33" MT's, HPPIII , Airaid TB spacer, K&N FIPK, March pulleys, 2.5" straight pipe, Trucktec tonneau, Herculinered body line down, 3/16" custom skid plates[/size]
2kwik4u
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2kwik4u »

Glad to hear you made it out OK, hate to hear about the truck.

For reference, I bought my '04 ZR5 with every option and 26k miles on the clock back in April for $17,500. I think you should be able to find a comparable setup for comparable money.

With that said I know if I was looking for a truck to replace the Crew, I'd be looking REAL REAL hard at a Silverado SS. They are nearly the same price, and have a TON more capability IMO.
[size=75][url=http://picasaweb.google.com/2kwik4u]2kwik4u's pics[/url][/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Except 4lo (I think). Aren't they full time AWD?
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
2kwik4u
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2kwik4u »

Walt wrote:Except 4lo (I think). Aren't they full time AWD?
Yea they are AWD (except some of the more recent ones I think you can get a regualr cab SS now with just RWD...not sure though)

Who needs 4Lo anyway? Dang offroad guys :D :D
kwalsh
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kwalsh »

After I got a little banged up on the quad I was a big fan of those hot wet packs. I'm not too sure what they were full of, but you soak them in hot water and place them on the sore spots, awesome.
[size=75]"Pain = weakness leaving the body."[/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

I got a chance to get some pics today while I was taking off some of the aftermarket parts. :(

Image Image
Image Image

I want to get a new Crew Cab in either white or black with under 40k miles. I would prefer a ZR5, but I will consider another standard Crew if the price is right. If anyone has seen one like this for sale recently please let me know about it. :wink:

Steve
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Geez. That is brutal.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

40K? Dayem, I have my dealer buddy looking for half of that :!: Will call him tomorrow and correct that.

BTW, your sights are a tad off. That wasn't dead center! :wink:
2kwik4u
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2kwik4u »

I'll sell you my Yellow ZR5 :D :D 40,850 miles as of the drive in this morning. Hell if you buy it I'll even deliver it :D

In other thoughts, glad you aren't hurt too bad from that. Looks painfull.
GeorgesBlazah
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by GeorgesBlazah »

Buy my Blazer!

That damage stinks but Im glad your ok. Hey at least you dont hafto get new tags!
[size=75]98 blazah w/ super stuff[/size]
Jigg
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jigg »

GeorgesBlazah wrote:Buy my Blazer!
Trade hoods with me!
[size=75][url=http://www.synergyoffroad.com]Synergy Offroad[/url][/size]
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

I'll give ya $1 for the pwr/vol knob from your radio :wink:
[size=67][i]"Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."[/i][/size]
kermit
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kermit »

YIKES! Glad know you're alright. So, what happens to it now, scrapped? stripped? rebuilt?

That's still some good looking rubber.
2003 Dark Green S-10 Crew Cab 4x4 with 265/70R17 Nitto Terra Grapplers on 17x8 Black Rock Type D Series 909B Wheels, TB crank, Boise Spring Works rear leaf spring kit, 2" PA body lift, Skidz Custom Cut-Out Fender Flares
border man
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by border man »

I'd take the tires.
[size=75]I didn't do it, it was already like that when I got it.[/size]
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

$2.50?
[size=67][i]"Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."[/i][/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

kermit wrote:So, what happens to it now, scrapped? stripped? rebuilt?

That's still some good looking rubber.
I think the truck is going to be sold at a local auction, most likely for parts since it is un-repairable. :( I did take all 5 tires and some other parts, however I couldn't get anything under the hood because it was all smashed together. :shock: A cutting torch would have helped, but I don't think the auction yard would have liked that too much. :lol:

barch97, If I would have known that you needed a volume knob I would have grabbed it for you, but unfortunately I have already released the truck to the auction yard so I cant take any more parts. :(

Steve
michael_4x4
Crew
Crew

Sorry..

Post by michael_4x4 »

Ok..seriously that hurts to see those pics....i understand its a truck..but it still hurts....not paying attention? Multitasking..what happened? :(
[size=75]Contact me anytime at
Michael_4x4_15@hotmail.com
2"BL.Torison Bar crank..clear corners..ebay air intake siruis satelite radio scanner hitch tailights tint all around...stero systemhttp://www.cardomain.com/ride/693359[/size]
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: Sorry..

Post by BobbleSmitty »

michael_4x4 wrote:Ok..seriously that hurts to see those pics....i understand its a truck..but it still hurts....not paying attention? Multitasking..what happened? :(
killian96ss wrote:I totaled my Crew Cab yesterday morning after running into a parked semi going 30 mph. :( The damage to the truck is unbelievable. :shock:

I was driving home yesterday morning near my house when all of a sudden a car going the other way crossed the center divide and was headed straight for me so I swerved in the opposite direction to avoid a head on collision. As soon as I swerved I noticed the parked semi truck, but it was already too late at this point and I slammed into the steel lift gate which suddenly stopped me. :( I was going about 30 mph when I hit the truck and I never got a chance to hit the brakes, so the impact was very harsh. :shock: The air bags did not deploy since I have been having problems with the air bag system for a while, but luckily I was wearing my seat belt which may have just saved my life. The driver of the car that caused the crash kept on going and since there were no witnesses it looks like this person will get away and I will be found to be at fault. :x

You guys would not believe how much damage my CC sustained for a somewhat slow speed accident, but let me tell you it was like hitting a brick wall that had no give to it. :( The front frame is badly twisted and the engine made it 4 inches into the cab. :o The steering wheel is bent pretty good where my head and arms hit it. :shock:

After I hit the truck I was knocked unconscious for a minute or so :| and when I got out of the truck I stumbled around for a minute before I finally collapsed. :( The paramedics did a great job with me and I am very thankful for their help. :D

I spent most of yesterday in the hospital while they ran a series of tests. I am very sore all over with a lot of bruises, but at least I did not sustain any major injuries. I promise I will get pics as soon as I get a chance to go down to the tow yard. You guys are going to be shocked by the amount of front end damage. :shock:

Me and my wife have decided that we want another Crew Cab, but we have not yet decided whether it will be a Tundra or another S10. :?:

I will post more when I start feeling a little better. :wink:

Steve
[size=75]2004 S-10 Crew Cab ZR5 -*SOLD*-2" PA Body Lift - Air Shocks - 30x9.5" Cooper Discoverer S/T tires - 1.25" Rear Spacers - Clear Bumper Lights - Westin Safari - Light Bar w/ 100watt 6" Lights - Custom Stainless Steel V-force Dual Exhaust w/ 3" Black Chrome Slash Cut Tips - CB radio w/ 100watt PA speaker - Alpine MP3/CD Player - 10" JL Sub w/ 300watt amp - Low Profile - 'TonneauMasters' Tonneau Cover - In-channel Vent Visors - Airbox mod - Custom Front Tow Hooks - Debadged [/size]
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

killian96ss wrote:barch97, If I would have known that you needed a volume knob I would have grabbed it for you, but unfortunately I have already released the truck to the auction yard so I cant take any more parts. :(

Steve
:(

it's a'ight... I know which knob does what and I'm not plannin' to sell it any time soon. just an aesthetic thing.