Crazy Socket Question 6 Pt. Vs 12 Pt.

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Crazy Socket Question 6 Pt. Vs 12 Pt.

Post by gocntry »

I'm Going Thru & Cleaning Out A Lot Of Stuuf From My Garage. I Have A Lot Of Mixed Sockets And Am Trying To Make A Complete Set Of 1/4" - 3/8" - 1/2" Sockets.

My Question Is Which Is Better 6 Point Or 12 Point Sockets?? Is There Really A Need To Have A Set Of Both In The Same Sizes?

I Was Gonna Do A 1/4" 6 Point Set - A 3/8" 6 & 12 Point Set - A 1/2" 6 Point Set. That Should More Sockets Than I Should Need Shouldn't It??

Any Comments Or Should I Just Delete This Thread And Throw All My Sockets In A 5 Gallon Bucket Then Just Dig For What I Need :lol:
The Crew Is Gone, Now I Have A Hoe
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

6 pt is what I was taught to be best. !2 pts will round out. When I was in college and working at a Sears Auto Center I would round them out. I tried to return them for the lifetime warranty and was told that they didn't cover wear. I would take the socket back to the auto section, place them in a vise, break them and then they would replace it. They knew exactly what I was doing :lol:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
rlrnr53
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by rlrnr53 »

6 pt sockets are the preference for me for the last 34 or so years. I have to keep some 12 pt sockets on hand, because some of the starters on the equipment that we have are held on by bolts with a 12 pt head. 6 pt sockets don't round off rusty or worn bolt heads as easily, but it can be done with a 6pt socket.
[size=75]Mitch
2001 Polo Green Metallic, no mods,(can't afford any)[/size]
top_sgt
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by top_sgt »

coming from a former mechanic here...... all i have is six point!!!! the 12 points i have are for special aaplications....like japanese head bolts!!
2004 S10 CC ZR5 4x4 >> traded for a 2006 F150 supercrew!!
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Twelve points are nice. I probably use the six points most of the time in the standard stuff. I don't have many of the six point metrics though.
I am a bit of a "tool junky", so I would probably keep them all.
I think the biggest factor is quality. A good quality twelve point socket will be less likely to "round" a bolt than even a cheap six point socket.
I do keep sets of both and all.
The "yardsale" sockets are spares and those used to weld on, bend or hammer. The good stuff is used for reducing the bloody knuckles.

I have a set of six point deep sockets. Those are probably the ones I grab first.
In the 1/4" drive stuff it is hard to find a twelve point anymore. I have ordered a few for special applications, but don't miss them most of the time.

All my metrics with a few exceptions are twelve point. I can't really say I notice much difference. If something requires enough torque that it will round the bolt, the socket needs to fit tightly. I trash those ill fitting sockets, or replace them. If it really takes alot of torque I go to impact sockets. They are six point.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Snoman002
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Snoman002 »

6 point has more surface area in contact with the bolt head reducing the possability of rounding the head.

12 can be more convient in tight places as the socket does not have to be "just right".

As HJ said though, a quality 12 point can still be better than a cheap 6 point.
[size=75][b]1991 GMC Sonoma Extended Cb[/b] - 4.3L Automatic, 2" BL, 31" BFG's.
[b]1992 Chevy T-10 Reg Cab[/b] - 4.3L 5spd, 3" Bl, 31" Mud Tires. Hooker long tube headers and true duals.
[b]1999 Oldsmobile Bravada[/b] - Wifes truck, all stock.[/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

You guys ever seen an eight point socket? I came a cross a 20 piece set of craftsman sockets on Ebay a long time ago, before I had aquired most of the tools I have now. When I received the socket set, I was surprised to see eight-point sockets. All 20 of them. I still haven't found a use for them. :lol:
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Walt wrote:You guys ever seen an eight point socket? I came a cross a 20 piece set of craftsman sockets on Ebay a long time ago, before I had aquired most of the tools I have now. When I received the socket set, I was surprised to see eight-point sockets. All 20 of them. I still haven't found a use for them. :lol:
As Brule told me, change the oil in your lawn mower with 'em :wink:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Walt wrote:You guys ever seen an eight point socket?
Yes, and have some. They are used for square heads. The drain plugs on small engines, air system plugs, adjusting the kick down band on Chrysler transmissions, and there are even a few of the old square headed bolts out there, to mention a few.
Keep them around, you may find a use for them.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Come to think of it, I did use them once to remove the spark arrestor on my four wheeler to let water drain out of the muffler. It had square head. :)
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...