If, Only I had $85,000

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

If, Only I had $85,000

Post by F9K9 »

[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Haven't we discussed this Camaro thing before? :lol: I'll bet you still have dreams about your old car huh. :D I'm sure there is one out there just waiting for you! :wink: There is only one thing left to do! :idea: :lol:

Steve
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

killian96ss wrote:Haven't we discussed this Camaro thing before? :lol: I'll bet you still have dreams about your old car huh. :D I'm sure there is one out there just waiting for you! :wink: There is only one thing left to do! :idea: :lol:

Steve
Just waiting on a home with a garage and then any decent rebuildable '67 thru '69 will keep me busy if, this silly trail riding craze subsides :wink:

Steve, my memory is failing me. was 305 or 307 the base model V-8 offered. We needn't mention the optional 302 CI engine :lol:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

My information shows these available engines: '67-'69 250 I6 , '67-'69 302 V8, '67-'69 327 V8, '67-'69 350 V8, '68-'69 396 V8, '69 427 V8.
65,008 with the six cylinder, 178,087 with the V8 and 19,014 Z28 models.

If you get really serious it might be worth a plane ticket over here. A local dealer has a few nice '67-'69 Camaros. I know a few people who have builders as well.

Camaros are dime a dozen. Everyone has one. 'cept you, I guess ;)

They are not cheap anymore, but way less than that ebay car.
Last edited by HenryJ on Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Wow, that was quick Brule! :shock: It's a good thing they didn't have the 307, as that engine is real lame. :lol: I've had 2 in the past. :roll: I personally like the little high reving 302 in the Z28's. :D The 427 is nice also, but in a different way. 8)

Steve
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Most of the square motors worked pretty well (bore x stroke)
I have a little large journal steel crank 283 in the Vega. I always though I might build a nice 302 with it someday.
I also have a 390 hp 427 under the bench waiting for a project. That engine has port matched heads and a polished factory highrise. At .030 over and with my old wolverine cam it probably puts out a little more than advertised now :)

Best bang for the buck right now would be a crate 502 IMO.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

I was just drooling over this one last night. Camaro :drool: I'd love to have an old Z 28
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew , A.R.E Cap, Limo tint windows, Halogen Back up lights. Bilstein Shocks, 1.5 Rear Spacers, Summit Rear Diff Cover Clear Bumper Lights, Carbon Altezza Tail Lights, Billet Grill. SS Step Bars. GM full front bra. ,,, GM Quote concerning the gurgling heater core " They all sound like that"[/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

HenryJ wrote:I also have a 390 hp 427 under the bench waiting for a project. That engine has port matched heads and a polished factory highrise. At .030 over and with my old wolverine cam it probably puts out a little more than advertised now :)
I always liked the 427's for some reason. 8) Infact I like them even better than the 454's. :D Now if you could just find one of the original aluminum 427's. :drool:

Steve
Last edited by killian96ss on Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Well, I know well that there was a 305 ci V-8 base model offered and I (as of yet) am unable to find a solid reference to it in "production" offerings. I am still looking. I am glad to know that you have a wealth of them in OR because I would love to do this eventually.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

So, the 307 was offered or not? I know I saw them back then (if, it was not 305)!
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

f9k9 wrote:So, the 307 was offered or not? I know I saw them back then (if, it was not 305)!
Another reference does show the 307 ci engine for the NOva and Camaro.
I think the 305's were introduced quite a bit later?

I have a brother inlaw that wants one too, so I have kept an eye open. As usual funds are the deciding factor. When a good buy shows up , finances are not available. When the moneys is there the cars seem to be somewhat overpriced.
You may find them more affordable here than they would be in the right half of the US. The desert climate is quite a bit easier on the floorpans too.

I have no doubt that we can find what you want when you're ready.
There is a yellow ragtop with black Z28 striping running around town. That might work? :D
Last edited by HenryJ on Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

killian96ss wrote:.........I always liked the 427's for some reason. 8) Infact I like them even better than the 454's. :D Now if you could just find one of the original aluminum 427's. :drool:

Steve
The 427s were really the last engines available that were worthy before the EPA struck and smog control was becoming mandated. The 454s were a weak attempt to overcome the EPA related issues of the early smog restrictions. My 69 had an air pump and all we did was remove the belt to nullify it's hp drain.
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Probably more info than anyone needs :lol: , but it does explain the differences between 67-69 Camaro's pretty well. :wink:

The first year of production, the Camaro was available in coupe and convertible body styles with seating for four. Standard seating were front buckets seats and a rear bench, but a front center console (with and without gauges), a front bench seat and a fold-down rear seatback were available as options. The SS (short for Super Sport) package included a special hood and ornamentation, paint stripes, safety-wired fuel cap, SS identification, performance suspension, tires and wheels. Another upgrade was the Rally Sport (RS) package, which included hideaway headlamps operated by electric motors, front valance-mounted parking lamps, rear valance-mounted backup lamps, safety-wired fuel-filler cap, RS identification (unless combined with the SS package), a special black-out grille and other specific trim. Camaros could be ordered with both SS and RS packages, the resulting car having hideaway headlamps, black-out grille and valance mounted parking and backup lamps, but otherwise SS trim, identification and running gear were dominant. About 100 white-on-blue convertibles with this SS/RS trim combination and bearing Indianapolis 500 Pace Car decals were sold to the public. The Z/28 was a mid-year introduction, with production not getting underway until December 29, 1966. Central to the first Z/28 was its 302 cu in. V8 derived by installing a short-stroke crankshaft from a 283 cu in. V8 in a 327 V8 block. This enabled Chevrolet to use the Z/28 for the SCCA's Trans-Am sedan racing series, which at the time had a 305 cu in. (5.0 liter) displacement limit. Available on coupes only, it also included a close-ratio Muncie 4-speed transmission, power-assisted front disc brakes, quick-ratio manual steering, 15x6-inch Rally wheels and red-stripe nylon-chord tires, a heavy-duty cooling system, 3.73:1 final drive, sport suspension and special "runway" hood and deck lid stripes. Also, Z/28s could be ordered with a special plenum air intake and tubular steel exhaust headers. No external badging identified the cars as Z/28s. The RS package could be combined with any Z/28. Other than the Z/28's standard 302, engine choices included the 230 and 250 cu in. inline sixes, two 327 cu in V8s (one 2 bbl, one 4 bbl), the 350 cu in. 4bbl V8 and two 396 big-block V8s. Available transmissions included the synchromesh 3-speed manual, M20 (wide-ratio) and M21 (close-ratio) 4-speed manuals, Powerglide 2-speed automatic and the M40 3-speed Turbo Hydra-matic 400 automatic. Unique to the 1967 models are front vent windows. Also, 1967 Camaros are the only models without side marker lamps. A total of 220,906 1967 Camaros were produced.

Camaro styling was largely a carryover for 1968, with notable changes being the addition of side marker lamps and the deletion of the front vent windows. Cloth and vinyl seat trim were available for the first time in Camaros (in a hound's-tooth pattern). The optional console-mounted auxiliary gauges changed to a two-tier, stacked arrangement and the automatic transmission floor-mounted shifter changed to a "stirrup" design. This was the last year you could order a Camaro with a front bench seat. The RS package continued as before, but its hideaway headlamps were vacuum-operated instead of by electric motors. The Camaro SS package added a 350-hp 396 V8 to its specification sheet and all SS models had a black-painted rear panel. The Z/28 got exterior identification at the leading edge of the front fenders: a "302" insignia early in the model year and a full-blown Z/28 badge later that year. Some 1968 Z/28s had dealer-installed rear disc brakes adapted from the Corvette and a dual-quad cross-ram manifold was sold over-the-counter for Z/28 installation. Again, the RS could be combined with the SS or Z/28 and the Z/28 could not be ordered on convertibles. Underneath, the staggered rear shock absorbers were used to help minimize rear axle hop. And all Camaros equipped with the 350 cu in. and 396 cu in. V8s switched to multi-leaf rear springs. Previous engine and transmission choices continued with a few additions. The mid-level performance 350-hp 396 V8 was new as was a heavy-duty, close ratio M22 "Rock Crusher" 4-speed manual (available only on Z/28 and 375-hp 396) and a Torque Drive manually shifted 2 speed automatic (available on 6-cylinder Camaros only). Chevrolet produced 235,147 1968 Camaros.

Of all the first- and second-generation Camaros, the 1969 model stands alone as the most unique of the bunch. Except for the hood, roof and deck lid, no sheetmetal carried over from 1968. Neither did the instrument panel, which was completely new for 1969 and would change again in 1970. Why did Chevrolet go to all the trouble and expense to freshen the Camaro with a deeply recessed grille and scalloped wheel openings for 1969 when an all-new replacement was due one year later? Truth be known, Chevrolet was locked in a knock-down drag-out battle for the number-one sales position with Ford in the late 1960s and a three-year-old Camaro needed help if it was to gain any ground on archrival Mustang, which was all-new inside and out for 1969. Other elements set the 1969 Camaro apart from all the others. A few hundred 1969 Camaros were factory-equipped with a 427 cu in. V8, either the all-aluminum ZL-1 or iron-block L-72. While the 427 V8 option never appeared on dealer order forms, these could be special-ordered under codes COPO 9560 and COPO 9561. The resulting COPO rat-motor Camaros (COPO standing for Central Office Production Order) are valuable collector items today. Along with the COPO Camaros was an electrically operated cowl induction hood, with a ram air set-up, which could also be ordered on SS and Z/28 models. Also 4-wheel disc brakes (adapted from the Corvette) could be factory-ordered as options on the Z/28 and SS. Headlamp washers made their first and only appearance in 1969, standard on the RS and optional on all other models. Various under-the-skin improvements made their debut in 1969. Single-piston, floating-caliper front disc brakes replaced the corrosion-prone four-piston design of 1967-68. Also new was a steering column mounted ignition lock, variable-ratio power steering and a medium duty, 3-speed Turbo Hydra-matic 350 transmission option for all applications except Z/28 (4-speed manual mandatory) and SS396 (which got the heavy-duty Turbo Hydra-matic 400 when an automatic transmission was specified). Under the hood, the 230 cu in. inline-6 and venerable 327 V8 made their last appearances and a new low-compression 307 cu in. 2-bbl V8 was introduced. And the gas filler neck was moved to a concealed location behind the license plate and beneath the rear bumper. The ever popular Rally Sport option continued to use vacuum-operated hideaway headlamps, but for 1969, new louvered "see-through" headlamp doors were used to permit night driving in the event the doors became stuck in the closed position. For the second time in three years, Camaro was named as the Official Pace Car for the 1969 Indianapolis 500, and Chevrolet commemorated the event by producing 3675 Pace Car replicas. Sold under RPO code Z11, all were orange-on-white SS/RS convertibles. Model year 1969 also marked the last time a convertible would be offered in the Camaro line until 1986. A total of 243,085 1969 Camaros were produced during its extended model year, which ran 18 months--well into the 1970 calendar year.

I'll take a 1969 ZL-1 Camaro please. :wink:

Steve
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

That's why I'm holding on to my '72 Chevelle Convertible. It still runs leaded gasoline through it's 350. :wink: Yes, it needs work, but it still in very good condition. We've even had good offers of $20K+. :wink:
[size=75]'01 CC w/ a bunch of Mods. More always on the way.
Realization...All women need medication...Just find one on the right medication & make sure she stays on it!!!![/size]
Jim

Re: If, Only I had $85,000

Post by Jim »

I've looked closely at the pictures and can see why that Yenko car is only $85,000...it's not a very well done car. COPO and Yenko Camaros bring well over 100K if they are worth looking at.
Here is my old COPO Chevelle http://www.barrett-jackson.com/auctionr ... ?id=182305
and the Camaros are way more desirable than the Chevelles
Last edited by Jim on Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Re: If, Only I had $85,000

Post by F9K9 »

Jim wrote:
I've looked closely at the pictures and can se why that Yenko car is only $85,000...it's not a very well done car. COPO and Yenko Camaro's bring well over 100K if they are worth looking at.
I was waiting for you to chime in, Jim :wink: There was too much info and way to much "sidestepping" on the description to suite me. For a time I interpreted it to be a Yenko motor in a regular retored Camaro. I just know, I don't have the beans to call his bluff. Thanks for the input and you should know!
GeorgesBlazah
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by GeorgesBlazah »

I dont see why that car is worth so much. If I read it right it was a regular Camaro and the guy had a real ZL-1 Yenko engine put in. Now I know the engines are worth some $$, but would this car just be a replica and not a real Yenko ZL-1 Camaro? Im a n00b to this.
[size=75]98 blazah w/ super stuff[/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

If we're talking big bucks, this would be my pick. :D
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Walt wrote:If we're talking big bucks, this would be my pick. :D
Then you could afford to pay someone to install the flares on it in "20° rain" :wink:
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

f9k9 wrote:
Walt wrote:If we're talking big bucks, this would be my pick. :D
Then you could afford to pay someone to install the flares on it in "20° rain" :wink:
:lol: :lol:
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...