1st post -- I own a 02 Zr5

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

cdnuser
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

1st post -- I own a 02 Zr5

Post by cdnuser »

Hello,

This is my very first post. I just bought a 2002 Chev S10 Crew cab Zr5 with 121,000kms. Yes that is KMS. I live in Ontario Canada. It is my 2nd S10 my other is a 2wd std cab long box with a 4.3 V6.

Some questions I have are...

What is the difference between the Zr2 compared to the Zr5 other than the cab size. Will the Zr5 stock rims and tires fit on the Zr5? Is the suspension set up different?

Thanks

Moved to N.O.S. Welcome! :wave: -W
Jigg
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jigg »

First off, welcome to the site!!! :D

The ZR5 package is an appearance package, the suspension and drivetrain are exactly the same as a normal crew cab. The ZR5 package adds different wheels, flares, bed rails, and a roof rack (might be some other stuff, but that's the main thing).

The ZR2 package is an off-road suspension package along with flares, skid plates, wider axles, and larger tires.

According to GM, these are the specs for the ZR2 package:

RPO ZR2 only full ladder-type frame with modified suspension mounting points which provide:
100mm wider track (3.9 inches wider than regular S-10)
Three-inch suspension height increase
Enhanced front (7.25" ring gear) and rear (8.5" ring gear) axles w/ 3.73:1 rear-axle ratio
Larger wheel and axle bearings
31 x 10.5R-15 LT/C black wall off-road tires (BFG A/Ts on pickups and BFG Long Trails on BlaZeR2)
46mm gas pressurized Bilstein Monotube shocks
Rear axle track bar (pickups) / rear sway bar (BlaZeR2)
Wheel flares (black on Chevrolet/body-color on GMC pickups)
33mm (early model) / 28mm (late model) front anti-sway bar
Skid plates (Aluminum through 1998 model year, carbon fiber thereafter).
Last edited by Jigg on Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
[size=75][url=http://www.synergyoffroad.com]Synergy Offroad[/url][/size]
gairbear
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gairbear »

Welcome,

Congrats on the ZR5 Purchase....prepair to empty your wallet,LOL.

A zr2's suspension is a bit "different" The front control arm mounting points are moved down a bit (kinda like a stock suspension lift...if you will) and as you probably already know they come with 31x10.5" tires......I assume that you meant would zr2 wheels and tires fit a zr5....the answer is yes.....but some "persuasion"(sp?) may be in order here...you can get a 2" Body Lift and trim the fenders a bit with a good 'ol dremmel tool and be in there like swim wear...you could actually even go Bigger....if ya wanted to.

Gair
Black '02 crew cab-30" BFG's, K & N FIPK, Go Rhino step bars, 2" body lift
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

When trimming the front fenders, you'll have to use a receiprocating saw. It would take many hours, and many more cutoff wheels to do it with a dremel. :lol: A dremel would work fine for the rear fenders though. :)
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
gairbear
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gairbear »

My vote stays with the dremmel as I've tried both....the saws all will not really allow you to make any kind of precise cuts....one of my fenders is a bit more "wavy" than the other...and the dremmel didn't take too long...maybe 45 mins. But Walt DID hit the nail on the head about the cuting discs...I think I used a total of like...30 or so, LOL.

Gair
bwenny247
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bwenny247 »

geez the guy just joined and you guys are already talking about cutting up his truck :lol:

welcome to the crew 8)
if you need help, we've got it.
if you need advice, we've got that too
if you need pointers on emptying your wallet.....you've definitely come to the right place :D
hope yuo enjoy your stay, this is truly the best bunch of guys you'll ever meet in an online crew cab s-10 forum
:wink:
[size=75]*SOLD* 5" BDS, 2" PA, 33" MT's, HPPIII , Airaid TB spacer, K&N FIPK, March pulleys, 2.5" straight pipe, Trucktec tonneau, Herculinered body line down, 3/16" custom skid plates[/size]
gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gocntry »

Jigg wrote:The ZR5 package is an appearance package, the suspension and drivetrain are exactly the same as a normal crew cab. The ZR5 package adds different wheels, flares, bed rails, and a roof rack (might be some other stuff, but that's the main thing).
Just Add The Step Bars To That.

:wave: Welcome To The Site CdnUser
The Crew Is Gone, Now I Have A Hoe
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

hi and welcome :D
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

gocntry wrote:Just Add The Step Bars To That.
Incase you're wondering, those are for covering up the frame after you install the 2" body lift. :lol:
--Walt
cdnuser
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by cdnuser »

I use the truck as a daily driver. I have always liked the Zr2 setup and think I would like a similar setup on my Zr5.

Anyone know what the biggest tire I can put on the stock rims that will fit without cutting? (I'll save the cutting for later down the road) :D

I had a larger tire on my 2wd that rubbed a little when I did tight turning (parking) should those tires fit my 4x4 Zr5 without rubbing? I think they where P235/75R5 with a 15" stock rim.

Also where is the best place on the web to buy the 2" body lift and do I actually have to remove any part of the body to install it? A guy at the local auto store told me to get spring spacers and blocks for the bed. ???

Help I am a Newbie.
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BobbleSmitty »

You're going to want to get the two inch body lift from performance accessories, model number PA192. You can find that on a number of websites, personally, I purchased mine on SummitRacing's website. Those tires you mention, the P235/75/r15 were an option on the CrewCab from the factory. With the body lift some people have gotten away with 31" tires, but would involve turning the torsion bars to get a bit more lift in the front. Some others have gone as far as cutting the fenders, installing cutout flares, shackles...ect and have fit 33" tires! But to be completely safe which requires no cutting and costs the least, go with 30" tires after the body lift. You will have no rubbing issues at all. But as of right now before the body lift, the P235/75/15s would be just fine! There are several posts about installing a body lift on this forum. It is not that hard of a task at all. Just do a search and read up on it. But as of removing body parts, no, you just raise one side at a time.
[size=75]2004 S-10 Crew Cab ZR5 -*SOLD*-2" PA Body Lift - Air Shocks - 30x9.5" Cooper Discoverer S/T tires - 1.25" Rear Spacers - Clear Bumper Lights - Westin Safari - Light Bar w/ 100watt 6" Lights - Custom Stainless Steel V-force Dual Exhaust w/ 3" Black Chrome Slash Cut Tips - CB radio w/ 100watt PA speaker - Alpine MP3/CD Player - 10" JL Sub w/ 300watt amp - Low Profile - 'TonneauMasters' Tonneau Cover - In-channel Vent Visors - Airbox mod - Custom Front Tow Hooks - Debadged [/size]
GeorgesBlazah
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by GeorgesBlazah »

There is alot of places to order the 2in BL from. I usaully check www.4wheelcustoms.com I am sure there are other places as well, but I have had good luck with them. A body lift puts blocks between your body and frame which raise it higher to clear bigger tires and leaving your factory ride the same. None of the body has to go away. You cannot add blocks or spring spacers to your s10 because the front suspension is a torson bar setup and your rear suspension has the leafs under the axle. If you add blocks to your rear, you will lower the truck.
[size=75]98 blazah w/ super stuff[/size]
cdnuser
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by cdnuser »

Thanks for all the input.

I think I will go with the 2" body lift for now.

Here are some other questions I have....

1 - When I do the lift I saw in the instructions that I will have to remove my tow hooks. Are all kits the same?

2 - I really like the pace edwards metal rolling cover but as far as I can see they don't make one for the crew cab. Anyone know of a locking rolling cover that will fit out bed? I would like something under the rails so I don't have to remove the factory rail bars.
gairbear
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gairbear »

cdnuser wrote:I use the truck as a daily driver. I have always liked the Zr2 setup and think I would like a similar setup on my Zr5.

Anyone know what the biggest tire I can put on the stock rims that will fit without cutting? (I'll save the cutting for later down the road) :D

I had a larger tire on my 2wd that rubbed a little when I did tight turning (parking) should those tires fit my 4x4 Zr5 without rubbing? I think they where P235/75R5 with a 15" stock rim.

Also where is the best place on the web to buy the 2" body lift and do I actually have to remove any part of the body to install it? A guy at the local auto store told me to get spring spacers and blocks for the bed. ???

Help I am a Newbie.
If you're interested I have a set of 4 30x9.5x15 BFG all terrain t/a's for sale.....
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

cdnuser wrote:1 - When I do the lift I saw in the instructions that I will have to remove my tow hooks. Are all kits the same?
You don't have to remove the towhooks, except for the installation. The problem is that the tow hooks will now stick out at the bottom of the front valance, instead of through the holes in the valance. A small bit of trimming may be required on the bottom of the valance to make it work. Another alternative is to get some 1st generation towhooks that mount in the same place, but are vertical (the hook is angled down instead of to the side). This option doesn't require any trimming.
cdnuser wrote:2 - I really like the pace edwards metal rolling cover but as far as I can see they don't make one for the crew cab. Anyone know of a locking rolling cover that will fit out bed? I would like something under the rails so I don't have to remove the factory rail bars.
I've tried looking online and can't find one, but I know I have seen one before. Be warned, they're expensive. One of those for a Canyon/Colorado is $600-700. Keep looking and you'll fine one. :)
--Walt
gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gocntry »

Here's The Model I Believe You Need

Pace Edwards Roll Top

Now Just find A local Dealer Pace Edwards Dealers And You Should Be Good.
The Crew Is Gone, Now I Have A Hoe
mattfu
Crew
Crew

Post by mattfu »

welcome to the forum, nice to see another canuk here, ive had my 2002 crew for about 3 months and we are headed in a similar direction with the truks, just a heads up on the 2"bl most guys say they paid about $200 but the cheapest i can find it here in a shop is about $390 or about $300+ off ebay,
gairbear
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gairbear »

WOW Mattfu,,is that Canadian or US???
cdnuser
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by cdnuser »

gocntry wrote:Here's The Model I Believe You Need

Pace Edwards Roll Top

Now Just find A local Dealer Pace Edwards Dealers And You Should Be Good.
Thanks, that is exactly what I was looking for.
mattfu
Crew
Crew

Post by mattfu »

canadian, 200us for the lift , +shipping in us dollar, +customs fees, =alot
cdnuser
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by cdnuser »

Well I picked up my truck from the dealer yesterday. I love it!

What a nice running truck.
Now that I have my truck is there any problem areas I should be looking at? Anything I should be keeping a close eye on?
bwenny247
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bwenny247 »

keep a close eye on the gas gauge, watch it do a trick when it gets around a 1/4 tank left. now you see it, POOF now you don't and you're on E!
:lol:
[size=75]*SOLD* 5" BDS, 2" PA, 33" MT's, HPPIII , Airaid TB spacer, K&N FIPK, March pulleys, 2.5" straight pipe, Trucktec tonneau, Herculinered body line down, 3/16" custom skid plates[/size]
mattfu
Crew
Crew

Post by mattfu »

cdnuser do a search for the "transfer case switch thread" , doing this now could save you a couple grand down the road, and we really really need the defrost air to work north of the 49th.
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

mattfu wrote:cdnuser do a search for the "transfer case switch thread" , doing this now could save you a couple grand down the road, and we really really need the defrost air to work north of the 49th.
Revised TransferCase Swtich Thread in the Stock Mechanical / Drivetrain forum.
--Walt