Broken Motors and replacements

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Broken Motors and replacements

Post by Walt »

Split topic to keep the original on track :) -W

2kwik4u wrote:...I broke the motor in the Xtreme this weekend...
Care to elaborate? :) I'm always interested when a motor breaks.
Last edited by Walt on Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
2kwik4u
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2kwik4u »

Walt wrote:
2kwik4u wrote:...I broke the motor in the Xtreme this weekend...
Care to elaborate? :) I'm always interested when a motor breaks.
Yea...

Drag Racing at S-series Nationals Friday night in St. Louis. My 5th (and subsequent last run) I was at about the 1000' mark when it started missing REALLY bad. Felt like I dropped a cylinder. Drove back to the paddock area, and messed with the coil/plugs/wires some, and it KINDA went away. Drove back to the campsite, and around Saturday with the slight miss, and then drove home Sunday. The 4 hour trip home it was getting progressively worse, and by the time I got off the expressway in Louisville, it was barely running at idle, and VERY reduced power at all TPS. SES light is on as well, I'm sure it's a misfire code. Got home, unloaded, had lunch and let it cool down. Went back out and pulled the plugs to find #3 covered in oil. The rest look REALLY rough, but not broke. I' have suspicions that the rings in #3 finally gave up on me. The motor has 195,000 miles on it, and I'm not upset. I really shouldn't have been beating on it like that, but it did last long enough to get me "fastest 4cyl" at nats for the second year :D :D
[size=75][url=http://picasaweb.google.com/2kwik4u]2kwik4u's pics[/url][/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Cool on the fastest 4cyl :)

Now that the engine's toast, V8 time! :D
--Walt
2kwik4u
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2kwik4u »

Walt wrote:Cool on the fastest 4cyl :)

Now that the engine's toast, V8 time! :D
You know I was thinking about that on the drive home.

I don't think I'm going to put a V8 in it. There are ALOT of V8 S10's running around. Everyones done it. It also doesn't fit with the style/purpose of the truck.

I have intentions of doing some track days, as well as mainly Autocross. Balance, and handling are paramount in both of those venues. I hit the dragstrip at MOST twice a year. I can't see putting a big motor in just to go fast in a straight line when most of my racing is around corners.

The plan at the moment is to source a tranny from a Pontiac Solstice, and bolt that to a motor from a Cobalt SS. 205hp, stock factory boost, and a VERY capable platform to start with. I'll get to keep my trucks balance, and handling abilities, and still have the power I want. I'm trying to think of it as a "miata with a bed".
crew cab sonoma
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by crew cab sonoma »

what was your Extreme`s best time at the `Nats???
[size=75]Lee

01 Sonoma Crew Cab 2.21 60ft. 10.24 @ 66.5 mph (1/8mi.)(SOLD)
00 Sonoma Ext. Cab 4WD. front axle removed, Torsen diff. W4M pcm. 2.10 60ft. 9.64 @ 71.0 mph (1/8 mi.)[/size]
2kwik4u
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2kwik4u »

crew cab sonoma wrote:what was your Extreme`s best time at the `Nats???
SLOW@slower :D :D

Last year 17.9@74mph
This year 18.4@74mph

Last year was a nice 55* cool night. This year it was 90* and humid as hell. EVERYONE was complaining that thier trucks were running slower.

Next year I hope to be in the 15's :D <--Like thats a lofty goal :(
crew cab sonoma
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by crew cab sonoma »

yeah, the air density will hurt track times quite a bit...

i have a friend who is considering selling a 2.2L ext. cab S-10. ive thought about buying it, turbocharging it, and adapting late 80`s Chrysler 3-Bar electronics to it.....

i have an 89 Lebaron that run low-mid 13`s on more stock parts than most people would believe....
now it has an upgraded turbo and intercooler. should be interesting to see what it runs soon...
[size=75]Lee

01 Sonoma Crew Cab 2.21 60ft. 10.24 @ 66.5 mph (1/8mi.)(SOLD)
00 Sonoma Ext. Cab 4WD. front axle removed, Torsen diff. W4M pcm. 2.10 60ft. 9.64 @ 71.0 mph (1/8 mi.)[/size]
daevans315
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by daevans315 »

Hay.... I'm all for the wondering threads.... I generally could care less, but I'm interested in this one and I keep getting all excited when I get the email that there is a new reply.... Knock it off!!! :-) You’re damaging my productivity at work!!! :wink: :wink: :wink:

On second thought, never mind, I really have no desire to be productive today.
[size=75]"The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?" - Bash.org[/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

daevans315 wrote:Hay.... I'm all for the wondering threads.... I generally could care less, but I'm interested in this one and I keep getting all excited when I get the email that there is a new reply.... Knock it off!!! :-) You’re damaging my productivity at work!!! :wink: :wink: :wink:
You got your wish. :lol:
--Walt
2kwik4u
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2kwik4u »

crew cab sonoma wrote:yeah, the air density will hurt track times quite a bit...

i have a friend who is considering selling a 2.2L ext. cab S-10. ive thought about buying it, turbocharging it, and adapting late 80`s Chrysler 3-Bar electronics to it.....

i have an 89 Lebaron that run low-mid 13`s on more stock parts than most people would believe....
now it has an upgraded turbo and intercooler. should be interesting to see what it runs soon...
IMO, your best bet if you want to go that route is to put a custom manifold on it, and simply run an FMU. 10lbs of boost seriously wakes up that motor, and an FMU will get your fueling close enough to have fun, and be safe with that pressure. I despise FMU's, but aside from some very expensive electronics/programs that the best you can get.

Maybe one of the moderators can split this topic into a "mikeys broke truck" thread from the current conglomeration :D

*edit*...looks like they already have :( can you move this one too? PLEEZE....I promise it was still togethor when I started posting :D

Done. :) -W
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

looks like little walts been busy :0
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

jeff024 wrote:looks like little walts been busy :0
Yes yes :)
--Walt