Bravada Story

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

Jim

Bravada Story

Post by Jim »

I won this auction last night, the vehicle is for my daughter, she wanted a loaded Blazer, But I got her this.

$2900 bucks

This is the second vehicle I've bought off Ebay in a week, I'm done for awhile. February is the month to buy cheap :D
Last edited by Jim on Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:52 am, edited 3 times in total.
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

And here I am worried about the "TAX Man" :lol:

Looks like another "coup" for Jim
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Jim

Post by Jim »

May have had one stuck to me on this one. I finally got some time to work on this thing. It seems the front diff is broken or someone removed parts to make it free wheel like our crews when not engaged. My understanding is if you run one of these AWD's without a front driveshaft you'll roast the transfer case :( basically fuzing the clutch plates together. It looks like I need a front diff and a transfer case :shock: :( .
Or sell the unit and cut my losses. Since I purchased it I haven't found any better deals even if I have to put $$ in these AWD parts.

Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Are you sure it is bad?
The autotrac transfer case is not all that different. It has a second speed sensor and a hydraulically operated clutch for front shaft engagement.
I don't think the "fuzzing" clutch thing is a "real" problem.
The front differential is the same as ours, so check out the actuator for a frozen cable or bad diaphram.
If someone has had it apart, make sure the washer didn't fall down and is preventing the front axle from engaging. It is an easy mistake. (been there, done that)

Don't be afraid to tear things apart. They really are not that bad to tear down and reassemble.

Make darn sure that autotrac transfercase is running the blue autotrac fluid. The seals and clutches are not compatible with Dextron fluid.

FYI- The switch is prone to failure. I have replaced a couple of them. The control module is also a frequently replaced part. I have replaced one of them. A good used autotrac case will run as much as $700 complete. A front axle without half shafts and hubs runs about $150 (good used).

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Jim

Post by Jim »

According to the books the front diff is always locked and mine is free wheeling, there is no actuator with a cable and diaphram like our trucks. Just inCase I just purchased this 98 SmartTrack transfer case with 50K on it off ebay for $75 http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... %3AIT&rd=1
now I need a 3.73 front diff w/ no actuator.
Best Regards, Jim
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Jim wrote:...According to the books the front diff is always locked and mine is free wheeling, there is no actuator with a cable and diaphram like our trucks.
Take a peek under the front. Everything I have shows the actuator.
I could be wrong, but all the autotracs that I have worked on still have the same front axle actuator.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Jim

Post by Jim »

Was under there for too long the other week looking to see how to do the motor mounts. I put an idler arm on yesterday and started getting curious when turning one wheel the other wheel or the driveshaft didn't turn. Started looking in books to see if there is any clutch in the bravada diff, I started to get that sick feeling when I found it is to be engaged all the time. Image
Best Regards, Jim
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

:thumb: That is a new one for me! Thanks!
So if you hold the drive shaft and turn one wheel the other doesn't move? If that is the case, someone must have gutted the spiders.
I would think those would be the same for all of the 7.25" front diffs. You should be able to pick some up cheap.
Heck , most of the parts may interchange?

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Jim

Post by Jim »

My guess is the transfer case is trash and rather than fix it they dissabled the front diff, or they replaced the diff with one like our trucks and put the right side axle tube on from the bravada thinking that would make it work correctly :roll:
I hope shipping isn't to bad on the transfer case. What do they weigh 70 lbs?
Best Regards, Jim
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Jim wrote:...
I hope shipping isn't to bad on the transfer case. What do they weigh 70 lbs?
Maybe less. I can carry one pretty easily.
I don't see that axle shaft not making noise if it is the wrong one and no shift collar inside.
Fortunately they are not all that bad to pull.

Drop it and lets see what surprizes are inside :bounce:

Does the tcase shift properly?
Last edited by HenryJ on Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Jim

Post by Jim »

I think the T-case clutches are frozen together the vehicle drives fine no slippage the service AWD light came on once. If the clutches don't slip the control doesn't sense a speed difference between the front shaft and rear fooling it into thinking all is fine. I don't know how long I can drive this as a two wheel drive without the clutches letting go.
Best Regards, Jim
Jim

Post by Jim »

Transfer case is on the way $140 shipped :D :D Now I need a 3.73 front diff. According to my GM manual it shows the front diff for the Blazer w/ automatic 4x4 has a front diff that is locked in all the time like the Bravada.
Best Regards, Jim
Jim

Post by Jim »

I received the transfer case today It's in excellent shape the front shaft can be held still with a lot if drag and slips smoothly when the input shaft is rotated. Well worth the $140 even if mine turns out to be ok :D
Best Regards, Jim
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Here is a good thread on the Autotrac transfercase from TXZR2.com forum - Autotrac Discussion

I found it interesting that it is used with a disconnectable front axle.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Jim

Post by Jim »

Finally I've finished with the body work :D here's the pics.
I still need to replace the transfer case and the front diff but I feel better now that the body is real nice. The basketball pole you'll see in the pick is what I used to pull the damage out with a come-a-long. I reworked the doors because they had some big-city body work previously.
The first two pics are bad quality :? they are from the ebay listing.

:D :D :D
Best Regards, Jim
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Nice 8)

- ThunderII KE7CSK
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

you did a great job on it jim did you do it all in your garage?
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

All I can say is WOW. :)
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
2kwik4u
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2kwik4u »

WOW is right, especially using the come along to "pull" the damage out.....Thats impressive!
[size=75][url=http://picasaweb.google.com/2kwik4u]2kwik4u's pics[/url][/size]
Jim

Post by Jim »

Yes I did all the work in my garage & front yard (BB pole) With the come a long I just found strategic areas to pull and straightened the inner fender as I pulled.
Now I have work to do to my Crew Cab...it didn't have a mark on it in the four years I've owned it and Monday night someone decided it would be good for pellet gun practice. :( I have one on the L rear door and one near the window on the pass rear door. These are nasty, deep, rounded bottom dents that my 'ding king' won't make progress with. :(
Best Regards, Jim
Jim

Post by Jim »

Took the day off work today to work on the Bravada.
Here's why the front diff was free-wheeling
Worked on it for 3 1/2 Hrs and got much farther than I thought I would :D :D
Im putting in the Ebay bargains as I put it back together.
Bilsteins $39
40K axle shafts $25 each
22K upper control arms $50 pair from S-10 warehouse
new lower ball joints
pitman arm
Nice front diff 71K $125 from S-10 warehouse

Later I'll put the 50K $75 transfer case in...the one that's in it is locked tight with the rear wheels guess that's why they took the ring gear out :yikes:
Last edited by Jim on Sat May 26, 2007 12:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Best Regards, Jim
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Jim wrote:Took the day off work today to work on the Bravada.
Here's why the front diff was free-wheeling

Am I blind or is the ring gear missing? :shock:

Steve
Jim

Post by Jim »

killian96ss wrote:Am I blind or is the ring gear missing?
Yes that's how it was when I opened it up

Nice clean oil...no gears were wearing
Last edited by Jim on Fri Nov 24, 2006 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Best Regards, Jim
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Best mod I have seen yet! :thumb: That diff should last forever! :lol:

Steve
Jim

Post by Jim »

All back together by 12:00 Sat. spent the rest of Friday cleaning up and detailing stuff. Started Saturday at 9:00 with installing the diff. These front ends are very servicable, now I know my way around them I can replace any component with ease :D I didn't put the upper a arms on yet or the Bilsteins...wanted to see how it drives and It'll need an alignment for sure when I install the arms. The diff is nice and quiet with no driveshaft installed, steering is nice and responsive. This thing must weigh more than the Crew it's not as snappy. The sunroof, glass, rear gate and all the sound insulation must weigh allot. You can't hear the engine or any road noise. I thought people didn't know what they were talking about in the reviews when they wrote these Bravadas are so much nicer than a Blazer :roll: Next task is to replace the right rear spring, if you look at the before pic I believe it spun into a fence with enough speed to collapse the main leaf in front of the wheel it's 1/4" shorter than the left spring, then I'll do the transfer case. Fun, fun
Best Regards, Jim
Jim

Post by Jim »

This one is done now, just put 2002 chrome Camero wheels on I got off ebay cheap.
Best Regards, Jim
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

Looks very good Jim. You done good. :clap:
[size=75]'01 CC w/ a bunch of Mods. More always on the way.
Realization...All women need medication...Just find one on the right medication & make sure she stays on it!!!![/size]