extended warranties

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

Blackmobile
Regular
Regular

extended warranties

Post by Blackmobile »

My '03 has 21,000 mis. and so far no real problems. So, who has an extended warranty, where'd you get it and what's its cost? Or, any pertinent info...
I've just changed oil and driven my cc, but I read of the horror stories and am starting to think about, maybe I need an extended warranty. I haven't gotten one before, because I drive so much... Yeah , I know, only 21K and I drive so much... I ride a motorcycle in the warm months, so I've kept my cc mileage down... This time around, looks like I would not run out of mileage before I ran out of time.
Any thoughts?
[size=75]stock 03 CC
"Blackmobile"[/size]
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

Not sure of the details on extended warranties, but in my dealings at my new job (Ford dealership) with entended warranties, just make sure it covers what you want it to. I've seen warranties that cover only basic engine and tranny parts and others that cover nearly everything bumper to bumper. The dealer you buy it from should be able to give you a list of covered items on each available warranty. Make sure it has the known troublesome parts on it (ball joints, tie rod ends, idler arms, front and rear diff, CV joints & boots, etc.) if you plan on keeping the vehicle for an extended period of time. Don't just get one based on price and miles covered.
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

Blackmobile
Welcome to the site :wave:
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

I got the Millennium Platinum for around a grand When I bought my truck. Good for 75000 miles. The Millennium has four different policies, the Bronze,Silver,Gold and the Platinum which covers just about every thing!
I sure am glad I got mine :D

Steve
[size=75][color=blue]2003 S-10 crew cab[/color][/size]
[size=75][color=red]6in superlift[/color][/size]
SONOMA915
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by SONOMA915 »

Welcome Blackmobile!!! I bought a warranty from the dealer I work for. It is a Continuis Customer Care Platinum warranty with $0 deductible 6yr/100000mile for $1285. Its even better cuz I get to do the work. Of course I will have extra parts for after the warranty runs out. :)
[size=75]2004 GMC Sonoma ZR5 (Sold)
2005 Toyota Tacoma[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Just be da_n sure to keep all reciepts if you do work yourself on the rig. I got an American Guardian Platinum for $972 for a 7 yr/75K warranty. Has already paid $480 for a new sound system and I am well under 20,000 miles on my '02
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

f9k9 wrote:Just be da_n sure to keep all reciepts if you do work yourself on the rig. I got an American Guardian Platinum for $972 for a 7 yr/75K warranty. Has already paid $480 for a new sound system and I am well under 20,000 miles on my '02
Where is the emoticons for the slot machine :thumb: your half way to breaking even I'm sure it won't be long before you hit the jackpot. Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!

Steve
[size=75][color=blue]2003 S-10 crew cab[/color][/size]
[size=75][color=red]6in superlift[/color][/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Steve2003 wrote:
f9k9 wrote:Just be da_n sure to keep all reciepts if you do work yourself on the rig. I got an American Guardian Platinum for $972 for a 7 yr/75K warranty. Has already paid $480 for a new sound system and I am well under 20,000 miles on my '02

Where is the emoticons for the slot machine :thumb: your half way to breaking even I'm sure it won't be long before you hit the jackpot. Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding!

Steve

It's a gamble for sure. Unbeknownst to me,at the time, my new stealership's service manager is the husband of a smoking buddy at work (meeting out back and doing our evil deed). I bought the thing at somewhat of a discount and when I researched the company they had horrible write ups. Well, somehow the gal's husband is good friends with the owner.

It is just one of my very rare "good luck" adventuresImage
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

The extended warranties have more than paid for themselves on every vehicle I have owned :)

On my 2000 Sonoma 2wd X-cab, the driver shaft had to be replaced twice, which easily met the cost of my warranty, and part of the AC system as well.

The few problems I've had with my CC have also added up to a bit more than I paid for the warranty, and I still have 40K miles to go :D
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
badandy2003cc4x4
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by badandy2003cc4x4 »

I got the extended warranty when I bought my truck but have had no use for it yet, knock on wood. I have had the truck two years and got it was it was one year old off lease i assume. I also got the oil changes for as long as I am in the loan. I can't remeber off the top of my head how much that cost but I remember quick math in the head I figured I couldn't buy oil and filter for that price. Only complaint I have moved and use a different dealership now so every oil change I got to explain to the service department how to get their money for the work. Makes me wonder if using the warranty will be the same? I don't want to drive 100 miles to the dealership I bought her at.
[size=75]2003 Sonoma SLS Akimoto conical air filter, soft tonneauver[/size]
Blackmobile
Regular
Regular

extended warranties

Post by Blackmobile »

Thanx for the info gang... Anyone familiar with Mercury General Insurance? They're the first I've contacted.
[size=75]stock 03 CC
"Blackmobile"[/size]
SONOMA915
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by SONOMA915 »

I havent heard of them, have you tried a google search? Sometimes you can find great deals there.
[size=75]2004 GMC Sonoma ZR5 (Sold)
2005 Toyota Tacoma[/size]