traction mats ?

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

mjmcdowell
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

traction mats ?

Post by mjmcdowell »

Found these, thought about getting a pair, what do you think? might be useful in slick stuff, clay,etc. www.portabletowtruck.com price dosent seem to bad. stay safe, mjmcdowell
bwenny247
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bwenny247 »

i've used something like that before, didn't work for me. my tire just caught it and threw it out behind me. lol :lol:
[size=75]*SOLD* 5" BDS, 2" PA, 33" MT's, HPPIII , Airaid TB spacer, K&N FIPK, March pulleys, 2.5" straight pipe, Trucktec tonneau, Herculinered body line down, 3/16" custom skid plates[/size]
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BobbleSmitty »

Maybe if the bottom of it had larger spikes for those very muddy situations, it might be effective. I know when I got stuck last year down to my frame, something like that may have worked but the bottom of it would have needed to have much longer spikes to dig down and the mat would of needed to be much longer.
[size=75]2004 S-10 Crew Cab ZR5 -*SOLD*-2" PA Body Lift - Air Shocks - 30x9.5" Cooper Discoverer S/T tires - 1.25" Rear Spacers - Clear Bumper Lights - Westin Safari - Light Bar w/ 100watt 6" Lights - Custom Stainless Steel V-force Dual Exhaust w/ 3" Black Chrome Slash Cut Tips - CB radio w/ 100watt PA speaker - Alpine MP3/CD Player - 10" JL Sub w/ 300watt amp - Low Profile - 'TonneauMasters' Tonneau Cover - In-channel Vent Visors - Airbox mod - Custom Front Tow Hooks - Debadged [/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

There has been some discussion on this subject on the 4wdtrips.net forum.

Sand ladders was the topic. Also Bridging ladders has some material that I have seen in catalogs from McNICHOLS

I agree that those above would probably work on ice, but if things are that bad perhaps chains would be a better idea?

One interesting idea that came up was using old snowmobile track. I guess it can be purchased pretty reasonably. Some shops just throw it out.

Others use old carpet. A few use other materials, aircraft landing mat, ramps, boards , etc.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I have been watching and looking for quite a while now. Finally I placed an order.

This self recovery helped to sell me on the stuff: Youtube video
I ordered two pieces of grating material from American Grating LLC , ( http://www.amgrating.com ) I have been dealing with Colin Kendrick. He has been very helpful.
I purchased two pieces Molded Grating, Isophthalic Resin, 2" deep with 2" mesh, Light grey with a gritted surface, 18" X 48" $70 each. They should arrive first part of next week.
Light weight and strong. The plan is for it to function as traction and bridging material.

I have a couple places in mind to carry them. One would be a frame mount to the side bars. The other would be attached to the tailgate.

Terra-trax appear to be a similar product. The cost is higher at $195 + $29 shipping and they are narrower.

Wider is better if you aim is not real good ;) I do like the options these will offer. My approach angle may need some help now and then and stuck in sand is not fun either.

Last edited by HenryJ on Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:...........Wider is better if you aim is not real good ;) .........................................
That is why you have to trust your spotter! :wink: Obviously that series of photos was staged but, the Rubi could have moved 10-20' towards the camera location and crawled or bumped right up that ledge/step. You are right in that our approach angles are the pits and our departure ones are worse. My trailer hitch and tow hooks has saved me several times.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I have a shield on the rear tank now and a skid for the winch mount. I like the low COG, but still want to keep up. There is always another way to "kill a cat". That is what I am looking for here. Traction mats , ramps and bridging material. Light weight and affordable, so to speak. Have you priced aluminum mats? Sticker shock!
I have a nice set of reinforced diamond plate ramps for the HenryJ's car trailer. They would be too short and heavy. I am hoping that these will work as ramps and benches around the campfire. Should be great for drying wet stuff and maybe even a table?

I really hope they fit in the frame to the step bars. I might even trim them down a little to fit if that really looks like it will work.

I am actually kind of excited for them to arrive. I have all sorts of ideas for how to use and carry them. All hidden mounting. No way am I going to resort to a mall crawler show off ;)

- ThunderII KE7CSK
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

They showed up today. Right at quitting time, so I did not get a chance to play with them. I may need to narrow them up a little. They are plenty wide. Over 25 lbs each. I want to keep that weight low and centered if I can.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:.................I want to keep that weight low and centered if I can.
Always a good rule of thumb that I keep getting reinforced :wink:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Things did not go exactly as planned.

First. You do not need ramps 18" wide. 12" is plenty. The tread width on my truck is only 7".
The material was just way too wide to be carried practically. I could have saved 1/3 the price by ordering less.

I thought I could store these above the side bars, in between the frame. Nice idea, but just did not pan out. 10" is as wide as might fit in there. I wanted a little wider , so I stayed with 12". Right now they are nyla-tied / zip-tied to the side bars and frame from the underside. I do not know if the ties will hold up long term in this application. I would like to try a winch from the spare tire, or some slide in racks. Custom sliders may be the ultimate solution.

They do not reduce my ground clearance at break over since they are above the bottom of the frame. I am not crazy about the current location, but we will see how it goes.

To cut the material, don't waste time with a reciprocal saw. A table saw ripped through them easily. I wasted three blades and a bunch of time on the first one with the sawzall.

I have two pieces four foot long and just over four inches wide to play with , left over. It should be fun to do some testing with those.
Black would have been nicer to hide them. This makes the Terra Trax a little more attractive. Price makes these attractive.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

They look good. What are you guessing their weight at?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

36 lbs for the pair

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I never noticed your body molding before :?: You of course have extra diagonal cutters and zip ties handy? I can attest to not skimping on the zip ties. Dollar store ones wouldn't even keep my sway bars out of the way on my XJ and I used two per side. :lol:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Finally made time to find a solution to the installation of the traction mats. I knew zip-ties were not the answer as they require too much effort to put the mats in place. I ran several ideas through the last few days and settled upon a tried and tested method. Spare tire winches.

I checked out several types , starting with the one removed from my truck. Most were rather large. I settled on the fullsize Dodge 2500 winch. Small, flat top four bolt mount, 5/32 cable.
The lift plate was not going to work. I found that the mid ninties Nissan truck lift plate was perfect for a two by four inch hole. Cut one bar and It fits like it was made for it.

Now to attach the Dodge winch cable to the Nissan lift plate. The Nissan uses a chain lift. Removal was simple. By creating a loop in the cable I had exactly what was needed to attach the plates.

Brackets were easy. Two pieces of 4" angle. One side bent upward to align the winch to pull in and up. Four nutserts in the frame to mount it and hang the winch.

It probably took about three hours to complete. Time will tell if it was time well spent.

As you can see I am not 100% trusting. I still have one zip-tie on each mat as a safety :)

- ThunderII KE7CSK
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

Nice job :thumb: You should change your name to MacGyver
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew , A.R.E Cap, Limo tint windows, Halogen Back up lights. Bilstein Shocks, 1.5 Rear Spacers, Summit Rear Diff Cover Clear Bumper Lights, Carbon Altezza Tail Lights, Billet Grill. SS Step Bars. GM full front bra. ,,, GM Quote concerning the gurgling heater core " They all sound like that"[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

BADs Crew wrote:Nice job :thumb: You should change your name to MacGyver
I am still looking for a more appropriate name. Definitely someone you want to stay close to when wheeling the Moab!
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

BTW, total cost of the mounts $13

That should put the whole project in under $150 if you purchase the right amount of material to start with. ;)

- ThunderII KE7CSK
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I am satisfied that this material will work just fine.

That piece is four foot long and four inches wide. It did flex, as you can see it bowed in the photo. I jumped on the front bumper to bounce it and rolled the truck back and fourth to see if I could break it. No luck. It held up just fine. Once the weight was removed it returned to shape with no bowing. Grip is good. It moved about an inch during the test. The tire was not centered very well and It did not look bad. I did hear some creaking, like stressed fiberglass can do. It was probably the gravel as it moved a little . I could see no deterioration of the material. That one front tire should have around 1500# on it. Somewhere around 30# per square inch.
My 12" wide mats should spread the load better and be more than enough.
Last edited by HenryJ on Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
mjmcdowell
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

HJ......mounting your bridging ramps

Post by mjmcdowell »

HJ.... by the looks of your side steps you have never come down on them, I have, several times and slightly bent and severly scraped them. Although not sliders I feel that the have me some body damage however minor. If you have the misfortune to do so you may have a problem with your mounting position. If you bury yourself in mud/sand getting at them seems like it might be a chore. Rattle can them black and mount them flat on the inside of your tail gate, just my .02 worth. Mall cruiser??? who cares what people think those who know, know those who don"t well.. they just don't. (my truck alhough not beaten does have some small "scars" that would attest to its use however if one was to notice) mine are 41' long 12' wide modded 2 section folding MC ramp from "Better Built" and strong enough to support the front/ rear of my CC. Just some thoughts, stay safe mjmcdowell
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Re: HJ......mounting your bridging ramps

Post by F9K9 »

mjmcdowell wrote:........ Just some thoughts, stay safe mjmcdowell
Good to hear from you here! You do like wise!
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: HJ......mounting your bridging ramps

Post by HenryJ »

mjmcdowell wrote:.... by the looks of your side steps you have never come down on them... If you have the misfortune to do so you may have a problem with your mounting position.
Very true. My bars may look untouched , but they have been retouched. They were filled with structural foam prior to installation, so they do not dent easily. The mounts are reinforced as well. They are also raised and just clear the body. I usually rub a shield or the frame before hitting bars. Cautious driving may play a part too.
If you bury yourself in mud/sand getting at them seems like it might be a chore.
Agreed. I do have an air jack. I can dig a couple inches under the truck anywhere and raise it plenty high enough to retrieve the mats if needed. At least that is how I hope it works. Time and a few more trips will tell. Moab, UT should be a good test.
mount them flat on the inside of your tail gate
That is plan "B". That bed space is valuable. With the tool box I am very limited and right now things pack tight. If I go that route I will need to do something else with the tool box and probably install the Softopper.
my truck alhough not beaten does have some small "scars"
I have more than a few blemishes. The scrapes and dents are not too noticeable yet. Pewter hides pretty well.
Thanks for the thoughts. My mounting solution may not be for everyone. It is easily reversible, so I can always try plans B through Z if I need to ;)

- ThunderII KE7CSK
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

- ThunderII KE7CSK
jedthrocornpone
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

dang down under

Post by jedthrocornpone »

ok so I sent off a email to http://www.gratemates.com.au/ about stateside distributors. here is what I got back

JC,
Unfortunately we do not have a distributor in the States.
However, we can ship to you but this would be expensive.
GRATEMATES are AUD245 per pair and shipping costs I would have to get a quote for.

Regards,
Glenn Bull
Manager
Mount Barker 4x4 Centre
Ph: 08 8391 4391
Fax: 08 8391 4323

www.mountbarker4x4centre.com.au

From what I can find thats 161.115 USD (1/20/09) before any shipping

I would love to get quotes from some stateside places but my searchengine skills seem to be failing me and HJ's links are taking me to strange places?

on a side note the AU ladders say they are able to saty out in the elements and don't weather like others. HJ are yours poly, poly-glass, something funky, is deteriation a issue?
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

First off, I appreciate you researching!
Brule is a member of many other forums and I know that the mats are discussed there at length.

I am sure that he will provide you links concerning their use and where to buy. We didn't need to utilize them during our Oct Moab trip but, there were many warning signs that indicated their need during different weather conditions were warranted.
Personally, I was concerned with the location that he had them stored. There was only one obstacle that he bypassed, that I took. I believe that he could have gone over the same obstacle with a different line and cleared it easily. I just think we were goofing on photo ops and and radio fun! It was not anything to be worried about .
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: dang down under

Post by HenryJ »

jedthrocornpone wrote:... are yours poly, poly-glass, something funky, is deteriation a issue?
Fiberglass grating material. No issues with deterioration.

Maxtrax They have a US distributor, but are also expensive.

I will stick with the ebay grating material. It is still the best bang for the buck. Those should run about $150 a pair.

There is a good thread here: Expedition Portal - Sand Ladders

- ThunderII KE7CSK