New Impala SS

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

New Impala SS

Post by Walt »

Just got to drive one of the new Impala SS's :D A friend of mine just bought one, loaded out. That thing will run. He let me drive a few minutes, then we swapped and he took the needle past the 140MPH on the speedo in a heartbeat :lol: The car is bone stock. Needless to say, I'm impressed :D
Anyone else had a chance to drive one yet?
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
purduecrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by purduecrew »

no, i havent...but its a 4.6 right? hows that baby sound???
[size=75]2003 Black CC
Hot Feet Fix - Quad Light Mod - 30x9.5 BFG A/T -PA3's - Boise Spring Works Kit - PCM TUNE
COMING: ?[/size]
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BobbleSmitty »

I believe they dropped a 5.3L in this one... the old ones were 3.8L Supercharged... and the best one in the 90s was the 1994-1996 impala SS's that had the 5.7L V8!!!
[size=75]2004 S-10 Crew Cab ZR5 -*SOLD*-2" PA Body Lift - Air Shocks - 30x9.5" Cooper Discoverer S/T tires - 1.25" Rear Spacers - Clear Bumper Lights - Westin Safari - Light Bar w/ 100watt 6" Lights - Custom Stainless Steel V-force Dual Exhaust w/ 3" Black Chrome Slash Cut Tips - CB radio w/ 100watt PA speaker - Alpine MP3/CD Player - 10" JL Sub w/ 300watt amp - Low Profile - 'TonneauMasters' Tonneau Cover - In-channel Vent Visors - Airbox mod - Custom Front Tow Hooks - Debadged [/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Yes, a 5.3 liter DoD (Displacement on Demand). 330 Horsepower :)

Sounds very good. This one had dual mufflers and resonator tips. It's hard to describe the sound, but it's definitelly not the sound of a sedan :D
--Walt
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

The new Impala SS and Monte Carlo SS have the 5.3L LS4 V-8 rated @ 303 hp and use DOD (displacement on demand) technology. The LS4 5.3L is basically a small bore LS2 6.0L. The 2 problems with the new Impala are lack of stying (looks dead on to a Camry :lol: ) and the FWD crap. The engine is nice, but the car is just ok at best. I could race one and win any day and at the same time get about the same gas mileage! :D

Steve
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

303 HP? Their commercial at one time said 330. Did they change it before production?

Also, I found out from a friend on the MS Highway Patrol that Chevy will have a rear wheel drive version next year :D He said that the Crown Vic is going byebye. :lol:
--Walt
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

wamason wrote:303 HP? Their commercial at one time said 330. Also, I found out from a friend on the MS Highway Patrol that Chevy will have a rear wheel drive version next year :D He said that the Crown Vic is going byebye. :lol:
It's definitely 303 hp and 323 ft. #'s of torque. The RWD version is still a rumor especially since they just released this new model, however I'm sure the RWD version will be here by 08-09. :D Most law enforcement officials will be happy when the Crown Vic is gone for various reasons. :lol:

Steve
border man
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by border man »

killian96ss wrote:Most law enforcement officials will be happy when the Crown Vic is gone for various reasons. :lol:

Steve
Wadda mean?? I love the crown vic!! 8) It really gets up and goes, at least the interceptor version. I'd buy one if I didn't have to be 60 to drive one :lol:
[size=75]I didn't do it, it was already like that when I got it.[/size]
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

Or be 6 ft 10 like my brother in law :shock: he has two crown vics :shrug:
[size=75][color=blue]2003 S-10 crew cab[/color][/size]
[size=75][color=red]6in superlift[/color][/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

border man wrote:
killian96ss wrote:Most law enforcement officials will be happy when the Crown Vic is gone for various reasons. :lol:

Steve
Wadda mean?? I love the crown vic!! 8) It really gets up and goes, at least the interceptor version. I'd buy one if I didn't have to be 60 to drive one :lol:
Did you ever get to drive any of the 9C1 Caprices? I honestly don't beleive the Crown Vic was a good replacement for the Caprices in terms of power and comfort, not to mention the 9C1 Caprices seemed to have the ability to go off road and land jumps pretty well. 8)

Steve
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I guess you all know that there is a LE version of the Charger out.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

I like the crown vics. My parents have had two Grand Marquis', which are the same thing. The engine doesn't just put you back in your seat like the Impala's did, but there's steady acceleration up to 130 :)

My parent's used to have a Caprice Classic, it was the last year model they made. They loved it. When they went to a 1997 Grand Marq, they didn't like the ride as much, but the power seemed there. Now they've gotten used to them and aren't willing to give up there 2002 Grand Marq if they're discontinued... :lol:
--Walt
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

wamason wrote:Now they've gotten used to them and aren't willing to give up there 2002 Grand Marq if they're discontinued... :lol:
The Maurader would be a good replacement if they like the Crown Vics and Grand Marqs. :D They are nicer looking and faster and were marketed as a replacement for the 94-96 SS's. :roll: They are better than the Crown Vics, but still slower that the Caprices and SS's. :wink:

Steve
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

The Crown Vics have had that whole "exploding when rear-ended" thing lately too. :shock:
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

AZS10Crew wrote:The Crown Vics have had that whole "exploding when rear-ended" thing lately too. :shock:
True, and several officers have died as a result of the fuel tank and crush zone design. :!:

Steve
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

killian96ss wrote:
AZS10Crew wrote:The Crown Vics have had that whole "exploding when rear-ended" thing lately too. :shock:
True, and several officers have died as a result of the fuel tank and crush zone design. :!:

Steve
Mark/Steve,

Can you provide a link to where this info can be found by the public. Even if there is an official recall? I personally know of an airbag recall in '99 Tahoes that our fleet managers either never got or did not pass on to us.

Thanks,

Reed
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Here you go! Exploding Crown Victorias

Steve
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Here is another one! Crown Vic Explosions If you want more info, do a search under Crown Victoria Explosions. :shock:

Steve
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Will pas it on as much as I can. Much thanks :thumb:
Maximous
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Maximous »

we have one crown vic in our fleet, and one tahoe(04 or 05) then a bunch of V-6 dodge pickups and 04 impalas, personally i would take the impalas over the others anyday, of course we have a tight base with many 90 degree turns and lots of traffic, the vic is to loose for all that, i can drive true turns with the butt sliding, but it doesn't look real professional when you have the Dukes of Hazzard responding to a call, for our base, the impalas have the perfect amount of speed, control, accell, and stopping power, HOWEVER what was chevy thinking getting rid of the 94-96 model SS, were they drunk, i had one (until a dautson 510 wanted to play tag((head on collision))) and i loved that thing, it does every bit of 145mph, trust me, i was 16 with a fast car, i know how fast they go, i am looking now to get back into one
[size=75]Driver carries no money, he's a Government employee[/size]
Miles
Crew
Crew

Post by Miles »

I sold my '03 MM earlier last year, and it was not too shabby for such a heavy car. With just over 1K on the ticker, my best 1.4 mile was a 14.6 in bone stock trim. Making it consistent however, was another story. Don't know why C&D gave it such "slow" reviews. Fun car, but you could really feel the weight. The old Impala SS's were faster, and muuuuuch sleeker IMO. The new Impala's are just kinda bla to me. Nice motor....but still very "blaaaa".
[size=75][b][color=orange][i]~Jeremy[/i][/color][/b]

[i][b][color=blue]'00 ZR2 Blazer, 33" KM2's on PA3's, Lock Right in Iron front diff/Detroit Locker in rear, sway-bar disco's, 1-Ton P & I Arms[/color][/b][/i]

[b][color=yellow]BlaZeR pics [/color][/b][url=http://photobucket.com/albums/b240/Muslhed/Best%20Blazer%20pics/][b][color=red]HERE[/color][/b][/url][/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Maximous wrote:what was chevy thinking getting rid of the 94-96 model SS, were they drunk, i had one (until a dautson 510 wanted to play tag((head on collision))) and i loved that thing, it does every bit of 145mph, trust me, i was 16 with a fast car, i know how fast they go, i am looking now to get back into one
The B-bodies were cancelled because GM needed the production lines to make more SUV's which were selling much faster than the Impala's, Caprice's, and Road Master's. :roll: A stock SS will do 145 mph, mine has been up to 155 mph, and I know a guy who just ran the Silver State Classic in Nevada and he hit 178 mph. 8) I have also heard of a guy in Germany who did a twin turbo conversion in his SS and he hit 195 on the Autobahn. :shock: If you ever need help with one or have any questions please feel free to ask me anything. :D

Steve