Snow in IL

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

daevans315
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Snow in IL

Post by daevans315 »

Finally getting some snow in IL. We haven’t had a real snow that I've been able to go out in play in for a year or 2. Of course I took the CRX to work today so the wife could have 4wd but she will be home before me.

But it looks like we are in for some Thunder Snow!!! That is one of the coolest weather events I've ever seen. Especially at night!

SNOW WILL CONTINUE OVER THE ENTIRE AREA THROUGH THE AFTERNOON HOURS.
THERE WILL BE PERIODS OF MODERATE TO LOCALLY HEAVY SNOW...WITH THE
POSSIBILITY OF SOME THUNDER WITH THE HEAVIER BURSTS OF SNOW THIS
AFTERNOON
. BY THE TIME THE SNOW TAPERS OFF THE FLURRIES EARLY THIS
EVENING...ACCUMULATIONS COULD RANGE FROM 4 TO 6 INCHES...WITH
LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS.
[size=75]"The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?" - Bash.org[/size]
top_sgt
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by top_sgt »

it's snowing here in central KY....up to 4" possible!!!!!! :D
the more the better!!!!!!!!
2004 S10 CC ZR5 4x4 >> traded for a 2006 F150 supercrew!!
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BobbleSmitty »

We've got another 3 to 5 inches coming tonight on top of our current 20 inches of snow on the ground already!
[size=75]2004 S-10 Crew Cab ZR5 -*SOLD*-2" PA Body Lift - Air Shocks - 30x9.5" Cooper Discoverer S/T tires - 1.25" Rear Spacers - Clear Bumper Lights - Westin Safari - Light Bar w/ 100watt 6" Lights - Custom Stainless Steel V-force Dual Exhaust w/ 3" Black Chrome Slash Cut Tips - CB radio w/ 100watt PA speaker - Alpine MP3/CD Player - 10" JL Sub w/ 300watt amp - Low Profile - 'TonneauMasters' Tonneau Cover - In-channel Vent Visors - Airbox mod - Custom Front Tow Hooks - Debadged [/size]
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

its comming my way Maryland
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

Getting ready for it here in Northern Virginia. We have 2 working 4wd's (or at least I think the 4wd works in the Blazer) so getting around shouldn't be a problem. Sharon is driving the CC again.

I remember getting a "Thundersnow" once. Really cool!
Blaze One
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Blaze One »

That's one reason i hate living here ( Vancouver Canada ) we don't get much snow , if fact , this year is the earliest we have had a snow fall in November (in the last 10yrs ), and it was only 1" of snow ! . Usually we have 1, maybe 2 "major" snow falls each winter , and it only ends up being like 4-6" of snow at one time , then it melts away within 2-3 days :cry: ! .
I want to move to an area that has 4 seasons , ie: a real winter , and a hot summer . Not like here , where we get 8 months of RAIN , 2 months of Spring and 2 months of "Kinda" summer . I use to love going to Moose Jaw Sask. in December and having 12" of snow and -20 temps.
Sorry for the rant , just gets to me I guess . :wink:
Have fun with the 4 wheel drifting in the parking lots .
[size=75]1995 Chevy Blazer 2dr 4x4 Limited Edition [/size]
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BobbleSmitty »

Living here on the east side of Cleveland, you get to experience all 4 seasons! Winters are cold and really snowy (due to lake effect snow), Summer is mostly in the 80s and sunny with some rain here and there, Spring is in between, but come mid April on average it starts to get pretty warm (60s and 70s) not to say that it can't hit 80 here and there or even dip down into the 50s. Same thing with the Fall too. It stays pretty nice out until the end of October, then a week later, you never know, it can be snowing! But I sure do love the lake effect snow here in the winter time!

Funny thing is with the lake effect, most of the time, it will hit us and completely miss the cities to the west of here. Last week I left downtown Cleveland in the afternoon and it was sunny, a half hour later by the time I got home on the east side, we had over 10 inches of snow!! Downtown maybe got 4 inches total through that entire lake effect snow storm and we ended up with 20+ inches.
[size=75]2004 S-10 Crew Cab ZR5 -*SOLD*-2" PA Body Lift - Air Shocks - 30x9.5" Cooper Discoverer S/T tires - 1.25" Rear Spacers - Clear Bumper Lights - Westin Safari - Light Bar w/ 100watt 6" Lights - Custom Stainless Steel V-force Dual Exhaust w/ 3" Black Chrome Slash Cut Tips - CB radio w/ 100watt PA speaker - Alpine MP3/CD Player - 10" JL Sub w/ 300watt amp - Low Profile - 'TonneauMasters' Tonneau Cover - In-channel Vent Visors - Airbox mod - Custom Front Tow Hooks - Debadged [/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I learned all about "lake effect" snow around '90 when I started working with dogs in Elkhart, IN :D That was when I got my first working dog. We had to practice everything over and over and over. Well, it was in December and I was supposed to do tracking exercises. It was snowing and someone laid a track for me. I questioned the instructor as to the sanity of it all because the dog would follow the tracks in the snow. We had to wait 1/2 hour before starting our track and when we started, even though I knew where the track layer had started, there was nothing for the human eye to see that would have indicated where the track was.

That "lake effect" snow will make a believer out of anyone :!:
Last edited by F9K9 on Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

Rusty wrote:Getting ready for it here in Northern Virginia. We have 2 working 4wd's (or at least I think the 4wd works in the Blazer) so getting around shouldn't be a problem. Sharon is driving the CC again.

I always get stuck with the CC, :D The wife won't drive it because she says its too long. She will only drive the Blazer. Thank you Chevrolet !!!
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew , A.R.E Cap, Limo tint windows, Halogen Back up lights. Bilstein Shocks, 1.5 Rear Spacers, Summit Rear Diff Cover Clear Bumper Lights, Carbon Altezza Tail Lights, Billet Grill. SS Step Bars. GM full front bra. ,,, GM Quote concerning the gurgling heater core " They all sound like that"[/size]
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Growing up in central NY, Lake effect snow is what I learned to drive in. 79 Chevy Nova 4 dr sedan. You know the snow is heavy when you have to have the neighbors catapillar over to plow the driveway enough so that you can get the plow out of the barn.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
top_sgt
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by top_sgt »

forecast changed.... no snow!!!! :( :(
2004 S10 CC ZR5 4x4 >> traded for a 2006 F150 supercrew!!
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

top_sgt wrote:forecast changed.... no snow!!!! :( :(
Yep, even the rain is over and it is 41° here south of you Top :!:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

I live in the foothills of the San Bernardino mountains and although it doesn't snow where I live it does snow a 1/2 hour from where I live. Last year we had record breaking rain and snowfall in the local area and mountains. I had already been skiing several times by this time last year. We had a storm come through last week from the North but just left a light dusting of snow and it just melted the same day. There is a storm supposedly coming in tonight/tomorrow it doesn't seem like it's going to be much :( Marsha and I can't wait to hit the slopes again. Pray for snow storms for Southern California! :pray:

Steve
[size=75][color=blue]2003 S-10 crew cab[/color][/size]
[size=75][color=red]6in superlift[/color][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The last time we got on this subject, I complained about the inversion conditions here.
I'll do the same thing this time. We had a low of 2 this morning and it warmed up to 20 this afternoon. The forecast is for fog , a low of 20 and a high of 21 for the weekend. I think this is going to be another inversion.

Last time my complaint was followed by a snow storm and we gathered 6 inches or so.

I hope it works again :thumb:

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Rusty Shackleford
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rusty Shackleford »

I grew up an hour south of Buffalo NY...that little area is the "snow belt of the snow belt". Mostly lake effect and lots of it. We got quite a bit here in Illinois tonight but still its not as bad as it gets in NY.

At least I got to go out in this snow and play..cleared a few drive ways and then hit the back roads lookin for drifts to plow through. Still running stock tires=thank God for 4WD.
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Hey! We were practacally neighbors. I grew up just outside of Utica. People think I am joking when I say I moved to Vermont to excape the snow.

We got just a couple of inches last night. Not even enough to play in but I am sure the roads will be full of cars with their all season tires messing up the traffic flow.
Following Mini-Cooper w/all season tires up steep uphill grade with no passing zone=ImageImageImage
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

BADs Crew wrote:
Rusty wrote:Getting ready for it here in Northern Virginia. We have 2 working 4wd's (or at least I think the 4wd works in the Blazer) so getting around shouldn't be a problem. Sharon is driving the CC again.

I always get stuck with the CC, :D The wife won't drive it because she says its too long. She will only drive the Blazer. Thank you Chevrolet !!!

My wife won't touch the Blazer. She calls it "FrankenBlazer" which is pretty accurate since it's built out of parts from several junked Blazers. The 4wd is a jerry-rigged mess and the rest of it defies description, but I like it. It has character.

Her Lumina died (again) so she started driving the CC full time. With winter here, I'd rather have her driving that with it's 4wd and ABS and added "heft". I think she likes the CC better anyhow but she won't admit it for some silly reason.

Back to the subject though, we got about an inch of slush. I'm bummed! :(
Rusty Shackleford
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

04crewvt wrote:Hey! We were practacally neighbors. I grew up just outside of Utica. People think I am joking when I say I moved to Vermont to excape the snow.

We got just a couple of inches last night. Not even enough to play in but I am sure the roads will be full of cars with their all season tires messing up the traffic flow.
Following Mini-Cooper w/all season tires up steep uphill grade with no passing zone=ImageImageImage
Rusty Shackleford
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

That reply is pretty messed up...wonder why it did that.? Sorry

That is what the edit button is for -HJ
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

We got close to 8 inches here last night. I didn't get to play much, but maybe this weekend. 8)
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

I heard what sounded like a couple of "ricers" out playing in the stuff this morning. Well, I guess when it's the only time you can get the tires to spin... :roll:
doughboy5499
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by doughboy5499 »

Here in Defiance, Ohio we got a good 8 inches too. I Work third shift and i had to go to work right in the middle of all of it. Really fun ride in. Drove through a couple ditches and waved at a sheriff ( as I went by, LOL ), who had managed to put his cruiser in a ditch. Good place for him. First yr for my Sonoma cc and very satisfied.
border man
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by border man »

Well we got a light dusting here yesterday, maybe a .001 of an inch (dust). I'll tell you what, these winter DUST storms wreak havoc on my drive to work. And what about those frigid 52 degree mornings. Time to get out the windbreaker. LOL

Steve2003 wrote:I live in the foothills of the San Bernardino mountains and although it doesn't snow where I live it does snow a 1/2 hour from where I live. Last year we had record breaking rain and snowfall in the local area and mountains. ..................I can't wait to hit the slopes again. Pray for snow storms for Southern California! :pray: Steve
My parents and sister still live in Hesperia at the top of the San Bernardino Mts and remember them complaining of last year's storm. Lots of snow in the high desert. I too can't wait for the snow on the slopes. I like the nightime snowboarding at Mt High.
[size=75]I didn't do it, it was already like that when I got it.[/size]
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Ended up with about 6 inches here today.
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

border man wrote:My parents and sister still live in Hesperia at the top of the San Bernardino Mts and remember them complaining of last year's storm. Lots of snow in the high desert. I too can't wait for the snow on the slopes. I like the nightime snowboarding at Mt High.
My wife's parents and one of her brothers live in Hesperia. In fact that is where I met my wife. I used to have a route up in the High Desert and she worked at Old Quaker paint in Victorville and the rest is history. Oh and by the way it did snow here last night and in the mountains. I've skied many a times at night at Mt. High we mostly do early moring skiing at Snow Summit now and get out by noon before the crowds hit. We are going to Mammoth this year for a week at the end of January. Staying at the Austria Hos Inn. Can't wait for that. :bounce:

Steve
[size=75][color=blue]2003 S-10 crew cab[/color][/size]
[size=75][color=red]6in superlift[/color][/size]
snocat1
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by snocat1 »

we got three inches last week and we got four more last night brought home the snowmobile maybe do some riding this weekend :rock:. but the trails are not open yet they don't open till the 15th.
[size=75]2001 crew cab with a quick hatch tonneau cover
235/75/15 bridgestone dueler at revos[/size]
Rusty Shackleford
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Rusty Shackleford wrote:That reply is pretty messed up...wonder why it did that.? Sorry

That is what the edit button is for -HJ
thanks... :oops: