Heated Washer Fluid System

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

Believe it or not here in Southern California where I live my windshield freezes over 10-15 times through the winter. So I either have to poor warm water over my windshield or run my truck for 10-15 minutes with the defrost blazing before I go to work in the morning. I guess this wouldn't do much good for me seeing how the engine would have to be warmed up. I could have used this many times when I was driving my big truck in severe weather conditions. All you cold weather guys know what it's like driving when it's snowing and your windshield wipers aren't doing a bit of good. This looks pretty cool, I think this is going to be great for truck drivers.

click here

then go to the heated washer fluid system

Steve
[size=75][color=blue]2003 S-10 crew cab[/color][/size]
[size=75][color=red]6in superlift[/color][/size]
coffeedrnkr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by coffeedrnkr »

Wouldn't that just kinda be asking for a cracked windshield??
[size=75][url=http://s80.photobucket.com/albums/j162/coffeedrnkr15/]The Crazyblaze[/url]
d44/d60 5.13's, atlas 3.8
[/size]
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

I would just run it never poor warm water on the glass your asking for trouble
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

If you are running the cheap blue fluid change to either prestone yellow or rain-x orange fluid they are a defrosting windshield solution that works almost instantly on light lce/frost. I personally like the rain-x since it also adds a bit of the water beading stuff each time clean the windshield. it really helps keep the windshiel easy to see out of in the rain.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
bwenny247
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bwenny247 »

ice scraper????
just a thought. starting anytime between the first of november and mid april we get frost/ice/snow here in Michigan. a scraper will solve your situation, and they're cheap.
[size=75]*SOLD* 5" BDS, 2" PA, 33" MT's, HPPIII , Airaid TB spacer, K&N FIPK, March pulleys, 2.5" straight pipe, Trucktec tonneau, Herculinered body line down, 3/16" custom skid plates[/size]
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

Thanks for all your guys input but I'm going on 42 years old, been driving since I was 16 and have always poured warm water on my windshield to get the ice off and have never cracked a windshield. Maybe the conditions here aren't as drastic as where you live. But that wasn't my point anyway, I just thought it was interesting that they made a vehicle with a heated washer fluid system. For now I will continue to poor warm water over my windshield in the winter.
Note: the only time I know of pouring water over winshield and cracking the glass is when my wife turned the hose on her windshield in the summer and cracked the windshield while washing her car. :roll:

Steve
chumley
Crew
Crew

Post by chumley »

Sooo, how cold does it get in SoCal in the winter? :lol:
[size=75]98 4dr Blazer 5"TM 2"bl 33"BFG AT Flowmaster w/ duals http://community.webshots.com/user/chumleyd8
-Stupidity should be painful-[/size]
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

chumley wrote:Sooo, how cold does it get in SoCal in the winter? :lol:
Cold enough to snow! I'm a 1/2 hour from the ski slopes (BIG BEAR) and a 1 hour from the beach (Huntington Beach) I have gone sking on saturday and then went to the beach on sunday, all in the same weekend :shock:
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

chumley wrote:Sooo, how cold does it get in SoCal in the winter? :lol:
I worked near the border east of San Diego in the mountains a few years back and an unfortunate side of the job was recovering bodies of illegals unprepared for the snow and cold. Don't go by national weather news for LA and SD :shock:

Just drive east and UP and you'll see snow this time of year. I even had to rescue two Seal candidates on their land navigation test.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I think it is a great idea! I'll be watching for one of those washer units in the salvage yards someday :mg:

There is no way it could crack a windshield. It would have to be a larger quantity and much hotter to change the windshields temperature rapidly enough.
The other reason is that cracks are usually generated by shrinkage when cold or cooled.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Pauleo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Pauleo »

I just saw a TV commercial for one of the new Buick models. They boast having the heated washer fluid as a factory option.
[size=75]"As I said before, I never repeat myself!"[/size]
ludwis
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ludwis »

This is an aftermarket mod that does the same thing

2003 S10 Crew 4x4
Mods: 1.5" Front Spacers - GM Valley Hitch - WeatherTech WeatherFlectors - Bilstein Shocks - Boise Spring works 2" rear spring kit - Truxedo Toneau Cover - PopLock tailgate lock - Hypertech Tuning - SKIDS Flares - 2" Body Lift - ZR2 Axle upgrade