Altered wheelbase crews

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Altered wheelbase crews

Post by HenryJ »

8)

They came from this thread- Muslhed's Photochop Contest
Last edited by HenryJ on Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
top_sgt
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by top_sgt »

they must be going really slowwwwwwww....i see no dirt on the truck!!!!!! just on the tires!!!! hmmmmmmmm
2004 S10 CC ZR5 4x4 >> traded for a 2006 F150 supercrew!!
border man
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by border man »

:drool:

NICE.....................!

P.S. Is it me or are the beds shooooooort.
Last edited by border man on Sun Oct 23, 2005 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
[size=75]I didn't do it, it was already like that when I got it.[/size]
top_sgt
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by top_sgt »

nice "photography"!!!!! :) :)
2004 S10 CC ZR5 4x4 >> traded for a 2006 F150 supercrew!!
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

What's up, Brule?
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

f9k9 wrote:What's up, Brule?
:lol: Don't worry , I prefer leaf sprung and those would have to be coil.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
malkavian
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by malkavian »

or you could do a 3/4 eliptical spring in the rear brule lol
[size=75]2006 Silvarado with 5.3 tow haul package, and 1993 jeep grand cherokee starting the build on it this summer.[/size]
Miles
Crew
Crew

Post by Miles »

So, what do y'all think of my lil idea? Here's the two most recent depictions of what I'd like to build:

Note the longer bed....
[size=75][b][color=orange][i]~Jeremy[/i][/color][/b]

[i][b][color=blue]'00 ZR2 Blazer, 33" KM2's on PA3's, Lock Right in Iron front diff/Detroit Locker in rear, sway-bar disco's, 1-Ton P & I Arms[/color][/b][/i]

[b][color=yellow]BlaZeR pics [/color][/b][url=http://photobucket.com/albums/b240/Muslhed/Best%20Blazer%20pics/][b][color=red]HERE[/color][/b][/url][/size]
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

That's kewl. The guy at the shop that did mine had an idea to shorten my bed like that, but I'm just no ready for that. I really like what space I have right now. lol
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
Miles
Crew
Crew

Post by Miles »

My only qualm with the CC (and the ultimate reason I'm not driving one right now) is the rear axle positioning & bed configuration. I just don't like how close the rear axle sits so close to the cab, with so much bed hanging past the rear tires. So my goal with this photochop contest was to draw a visual of what I consider to be the ultimate S-10!

I have already got plans laid for a triangulated 4 link front & rear suspension, so having the rear axle positioned further rearward on the CC chassis would be no big deal. This will obviously extend the 122" wheelbase about another 12"s or so, and that's really the target wheelbase I want anyway. The other very important thing to me off-road is a great departure angle.

So, my idea is to take a standard S-10 short bed, shorten it in the front & bob it in the back equally on both ends to fit my desired wheelbase. I would really like the end result of the modified bed to be as close to the stock CC bed in terms of oaverall length....but I can live with a LITTLE shorter bed if necessary. Repositioning the rear axle, and building a modified short box accomplished both these goals.

I also had the guys "chop" in a set of LS1 Mike's flares (since I would be able to use them on the modified bed), and 37" tires (since I will be designing the suspension around that diameter).

For comparison sake, here's a pic of a standard CC truck:

...in contrast to the modified version I have stuck in my head:

I don't think the modified bed is that much shorter than the stock one, and is certainly still quite usable.

I will be using True Hi 9 carriers in Sunray Engineering "1550" axles front & rear. The front will be hydraulic assist, and the rear fully hydraulic steer. Topping it all off with 37" Crawlers ought to get the job done!

My Blazer is just to short for my liking, and the rear seats are a pain for my quickly growing boys to get in & out of. So, the CC fits the bill nicely!

[i][b][color=blue]'00 ZR2 Blazer, 33" KM2's on PA3's, Lock Right in Iron front diff/Detroit Locker in rear, sway-bar disco's, 1-Ton P & I Arms[/color][/b][/i]

[b][color=yellow]BlaZeR pics [/color][/b][url=http://photobucket.com/albums/b240/Muslhed/Best%20Blazer%20pics/][b][color=red]HERE[/color][/b][/url][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I like the idea. Look to Quickbikers truck for a front axle moved forward. That will be needed. Setting this all on a ZR2 chassis would be an advantage since the cab forward frame rails are narrower. This allows for a sharper turning radius.

For the bed another option would be to use an Isuzu Hombre short bed to retain the fender bulges. By doing that you could use the Skidz Cut-out flares. The wheel opening will be really close to the same size. Maybe an inch less all the way around? They run 40% cheaper than the LS1 Flares and the install is easier. They are a different look though.

The reason for the rear axle being so close to the cab is that we share the same chassis as the extended cab pickups. The s-series crew cab was really thrown together from Blazer and pick-up parts. The bed was imported from the South American Isuzu made s-10 if you look at overseas production there are many four door trucks with the axle close to the cab. There may be strength issues for the chassis? Perhaps the shorter wheelbase is an advantage? I really don't know.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Miles
Crew
Crew

Post by Miles »

Well, on the ZR2's, the frames are fully boxed to just above the rear axle. On the CC, the frames are fully boxed only to the front spring hanger of the rear axle. The rest of the frame can be boxed for additional rigidity. Not to mention the strengthening of any cross members as well through the conversion process. These measures should take care of any chassis strangth issues.

I did not even take notice of the factory bed bulges! Yes, you're right...an Isuzu short box would probably work better! Thanks for pointing that out!

Miles
Crew
Crew

Post by Miles »

HenryJ wrote: Setting this all on a ZR2 chassis would be an advantage since the cab forward frame rails are narrower. This allows for a sharper turning radius.
Could you expand on this a little more? The ZR2 frames are 4 inches wider than a standard S-10 frame....but you're saying that the front section of the ZR2 frame is actually narrower....and being narrower there allows for a tighter turning radius? I did not know this! Please explain! :)

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Muslhed wrote:
HenryJ wrote: Setting this all on a ZR2 chassis would be an advantage since the cab forward frame rails are narrower. This allows for a sharper turning radius.
Could you expand on this a little more? The ZR2 frames are 4 inches wider than a standard S-10 frame....but you're saying that the front section of the ZR2 frame is actually narrower....and being narrower there allows for a tighter turning radius? I did not know this! Please explain! :)
At the line of the front cab mounts the 4wd pickup extended cab and crew cab frames are 506 wide to the outside of the frame rails. The ZR2 frame is 506 wide measured to the center of the front cab mounts This narrower section of the frame is one of the things that allows the ZR2's to run 31" tires and not rub the frame when the back of the tire comes close to the frame in a turn.

Other than that the frame rails are exactly the same width. There are differences in mounts. That is a given.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

so you want a 134" wheelbase. but you are worried about departure angle? what about your break over angle? i am on 37's and i dont want anything less that 109" wheelbase. and i am 24" off the ground to the belly.
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]