Benz

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

Rusty

Benz

Post by Rusty »

Split topic-HJ
malkavian wrote:holding my breath 31's 31's
I was holding my breath. Then along comes another toy I just had to have:

(This isn't the pic of my car but another one just like it - unfortunately, mine doesn't look quite this good)

Sorry HJ, but I couldn't resist. I've always wanted an old Benz to tinker with and fix up. At least this one is close enough to running and driveable that I may still have enough cash left over to buy into whatever it is you are planning. Depends on how long it takes you to get it together.
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

Rusty wrote:I was holding my breath. Then along comes another toy I just had to have:

(This isn't the pic of my car but another one just like it - unfortunately, mine doesn't look quite this good)

Sorry HJ, but I couldn't resist. I've always wanted an old Benz to tinker with and fix up. At least this one is close enough to running and driveable that I may still have enough cash left over to buy into whatever it is you are planning. Depends on how long it takes you to get it together.
needs fender flares?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

barch97 wrote:This isn't the pic of my car but another one just like it...needs fender flares?
Just say it's not diesel :?

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

HenryJ wrote:Just say it's not diesel :?
Uh, 300SD?

I mean, I would have really liked to find a 450SEL 6.9 but they're a bit scarce and horribly expensive! And with the cost of gas going through the roof, 26mpg sounds pretty good to me!

Back to the subject though. (Hey, I try!) Are you still working on the "mystery lift"?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Rusty wrote:
Uh, 300SD?
Oh, the horrors :!: I still have nightmares about trying to patch together one of those for a friend :!:
I really wish that I could have talked him into putting the small block Chevrolet in there. It would have been a much more pleasurable driver.
As far as I know it died again. Injector pump woes, I believe.
still working on the "mystery lift"?
Back in business ;) moving forward :mg:

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
snocat1
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by snocat1 »

Hey Rusty are you going to lift that old mercedes? :lol: I think would be pretty 8)
[size=75]2001 crew cab with a quick hatch tonneau cover
235/75/15 bridgestone dueler at revos[/size]
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

HenryJ wrote:As far as I know it died again. Injector pump woes, I believe.
Hmm, strange. Everyone I've talked to on some of the Benz forums and a few I've known over the years who actually had the diesel cars never had any problems with them. I've had several people tell me injector pumps rarely ever fail. One thing everyone says though is a Mercedes can be very reliable and last a long time if they are well maintained. If you don't take care of them, they will bite you in the tail (and the wallet) really quick.

The car I have was one owner and taken very good care of and was garage kept most of it's life. The car didn't die, the owner did (old age). I got it from a friend who picked it up in the estate sale 12 years ago and then left it sitting out in his back lot for all that time. Tree sap and leaves, rain, etc, made quite a mess out of the body and paint but the rust is very minor and it's all repairable. I haven't got it running yet but the motor turns over good and sounds like it's got good compression. Need to flush out the 12 year old crap in the tank, if there is anything in the tank. I only paid $300 for it so if nothing else, I can certainly get my money back easy enough. Probably sell the stock alloy wheels alone for that.

Oh, and snocat1, No I'm not gonna lift it! :lol:

By the way, it will never be a daily driver. Just a "tinker toy".
snocat1
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by snocat1 »

What year is the Benz?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I was quite a while ago and WAY less than adequately maintained. The first problem was the vacuum pump, followed closely by a botched head replacement after a valve job. Timing was messed up , it took weeks to sort it out to the point it would run and blacken the whole shop :shock:

Never was right IMO. The poor old boy was a backyard mechanic, and really didn't have the funds to fix things right.

Thanks for the memories :?

- ThunderII KE7CSK
1337vending
Crew
Crew

Post by 1337vending »

Heh, my driving instructor when I had to get my learners permit had a mercedes diesel that looked about like yours. Might have been an 80s model... That thing was absolutely gutless! It made my dad's '85 Chevy Silverado 6.2L Diesel(Crew Cab oddly enough) feel like a freakin Corvette....I hope yours is faster than the one I drove :lol: :?
[size=75]2003 Indigo Blue Crew Cab - EFILive custom tune, K&N filter, Magnaflow Exhaust, Rear sway bar, ZR5 wheels w/ BFG 30x9.5x15 AllTerrains

Future mods:
Single 6.5" Bazooka behind the backseat[/size]
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

It's a '79 and yes, it's a Turbo Diesel. While not exactly Corvette like in acceleration, it will outrun my VW Bus so I think I can live with it! :lol: Stock, they usually do 0-60 in 14-16 seconds. This is an "S-Class". Think "Luxury Cruiser", not race car.

Somewhere, I found some links to videos of some diesel Mercedes these guys in Finland modded. They were putting out between 430-450 horsepower and show some of these cars doing some pretty impressive stuff. Anyone remember the video of the F350 Diesel posted here a while back that was running mid 11's? A Diesel will run if you put some work in it. I don't know how to do it (yet) but I can adjust the boost and crank up the injection and get this thing below 10 second 0-60. A bunch of guys on the Benz forums have done it. Plus, my next door neighbor knows how to do propane conversions on Diesels. Just like adding nitrous. I just need to get it running first, before I start playing with it.
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

Found the link:

http://mersuforum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13577

They list the power output of one of them at 430hp at the rear tires using the same type motor I have in mine (3.0L, 5cyl Turbo Diesel). Ricers beware! :evil:
Jim

Post by Jim »

Rusty wrote:It's a '79 and yes, it's a Turbo Diesel. While not exactly Corvette like in acceleration, it will outrun my VW Bus so I think I can live with it! :lol: Stock, they usually do 0-60 in 14-16 seconds. This is an "S-Class". Think "Luxury Cruiser", not race car.
Welcome to the slow world of German luxury cars. In the forum for my wife's Audi A6 the cars are affectionately known as "Flying Pigs" :)

Oh yes her other car is a Corvette :lol: :lol:
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

Jim wrote:Welcome to the slow world of German luxury cars. In the forum for my wife's Audi A6 the cars are affectionately known as "Flying Pigs" :)
They're not all slow. I knew someone who had a 450SEL 6.9 and that thing would really move for it's size and weight. They've been known to dust Porsches on the Autobahn! I'd love to have one but 6.9's are a mechanical nightmare to keep up with.
kf6kmx
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kf6kmx »

Rusty wrote:
Jim wrote:Welcome to the slow world of German luxury cars. In the forum for my wife's Audi A6 the cars are affectionately known as "Flying Pigs" :)
They're not all slow. I knew someone who had a 450SEL 6.9 and that thing would really move for it's size and weight. They've been known to dust Porsches on the Autobahn! I'd love to have one but 6.9's are a mechanical nightmare to keep up with.
Some of them do that regularly.. They get out-accelerated by the Porsche, but after the mementum builds up, lookout!

Ever seen the video of the staged dragrace between a fighter jet, car, and moptorcycle? The cycle leaves everything including the jet in its dust (very low weight for the power = fast off the line), but the jet (by far the heaviest thing there) builds up its momentum oand 'flys' by everyone :)

Speed challenge
[size=75]-Scott-----'03 CrewCab S10 - Pewter
[url]http://www.kf6kmx.net/s10tracker.asp[/url]<-- Follow this link to find my trucks current actual location! Updated whenever the ignition is on. (tracker radio is currently intermittant) Pioneer XM, MagnaFlow, Garmin GPS,Tornado AMS , APRS Tracker, 2m/440 Ham Radio, Vista Camper Shell (from SoCalDave) , JottoDesk laptop mount, Rancho 5000's, Revo 235 75R15 on stock rims[/size]
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

kf6kmx wrote:Ever seen the video of the staged dragrace between a fighter jet, car, and moptorcycle? The cycle leaves everything including the jet in its dust (very low weight for the power = fast off the line), but the jet (by far the heaviest thing there) builds up its momentum oand 'flys' by everyone :)

Speed challenge
Cool! :thumb:

Here's a video that shows a couple of Diesel Mercedes (along with a whole lot of other stuff - huge video) at a dragrace in Finland. One of the Diesels beat a Corvette (although with all the black smoke, it's hard to tell)! :shock:

WARNING! 39.4mb download!
http://students.tukkk.fi/tuukka.simonen ... y_2005.wmv
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

Got it running! It sounds like hell right now (not sure what's wrong yet) but drives really nice! I'm hoping it's something like water pump or alternator bearings. If it turns out to be timing chain (and with my luck, it will be), I have a LOT of work ahead of me.

Not bad for $300 from a junkyard! A little body work and paint and some minor interior work and it will be a nice ride!
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

3 Words ........ PIMP MY RIDE :thumb:
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew , A.R.E Cap, Limo tint windows, Halogen Back up lights. Bilstein Shocks, 1.5 Rear Spacers, Summit Rear Diff Cover Clear Bumper Lights, Carbon Altezza Tail Lights, Billet Grill. SS Step Bars. GM full front bra. ,,, GM Quote concerning the gurgling heater core " They all sound like that"[/size]
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

Oh if you see a Porsche 911 there that they want to unload for a few hundred let me know :)
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew , A.R.E Cap, Limo tint windows, Halogen Back up lights. Bilstein Shocks, 1.5 Rear Spacers, Summit Rear Diff Cover Clear Bumper Lights, Carbon Altezza Tail Lights, Billet Grill. SS Step Bars. GM full front bra. ,,, GM Quote concerning the gurgling heater core " They all sound like that"[/size]
snocat1
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by snocat1 »

I'm thinking monster garage :lol:
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

BADs Crew wrote:3 Words ........ PIMP MY RIDE :thumb:
Actually, I was thinking

Rusty

Post by Rusty »

BADs Crew wrote:Oh if you see a Porsche 911 there that they want to unload for a few hundred let me know :)
I'll keep a watch. I know "Uncle Ed" has an old Hearse back there! A few airplanes too (or what's left of them). This is really the wierdest junkyard I've ever seen!
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

There is a Limo Company near here that rents a Hearse. Something to use for the bachelor party :cheers:
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

BADs Crew wrote:There is a Limo Company near here that rents a Hearse. Something to use for the bachelor party :cheers:
:roflmao: Just thinking of the possibilities! :roflmao: