There's hope yet!

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

Rusty

There's hope yet!

Post by Rusty »

We went on a trail ride last weekend that was supposed to be stock friendly but I would call it stock friendly only if you were driving a ZR2 or a Jeep Rubicon (which almost everyone else was), not a stock, low-to-the-ground S-10 Crewcab!

Well, after bashing the bottom of my truck on everything around, and admittedly my totally worn out 60,000 mile OEM shocks might have had something to do with it, the comment was made by my wife that "maybe we need more ground clearance". I replied that that would require a lift kit to which she answered "as soon as we get some stuff paid off, maybe we can do that".

Hallelujah! There's a light at the end of the tunnel after all!

Hello. BDS? :bounce:
snocat1
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by snocat1 »

:yikes: :drool: :rock:
[size=75]2001 crew cab with a quick hatch tonneau cover
235/75/15 bridgestone dueler at revos[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Get your finances in order and save up some money, but I may be pushing for you to go a slightly different direction.

This may take a little while before I have the solution all put together, but if it works out there may be a cost effective alternative offering some benefits that SL, TM and BDS can not offer.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

HenryJ wrote:Get your finances in order and save up some money, but I may be pushing for you to go a slightly different direction.

This may take a little while before I have the solution all put together, but if it works out there may be a cost effective alternative offering some benefits that SL, TM and BDS can not offer.
It may take a little while to get the "finances in order" but I'm willing to wait. Why not? I've waited this long. I've got to admit to a great deal of curiousity about what you have in mind. PM me about it?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Rusty wrote:...I've got to admit to a great deal of curiousity about what you have in mind. PM me about it?
In due time. I want to have all the ducks in a row and the testing and research all done first.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

HenryJ wrote:
Rusty wrote:...I've got to admit to a great deal of curiousity about what you have in mind. PM me about it?
In due time. I want to have all the ducks in a row and the testing and research all done first.
And I'm to be a Guinea Pig, right? Well, at least I sort of have the avatar for it now! :lol:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Rusty wrote:...I'm to be a Guinea Pig, right?
No, It will be thoroughly tested and documented before I back this one.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

HenryJ wrote:
Rusty wrote:...I'm to be a Guinea Pig, right?
No, It will be thoroughly tested and documented before I back this one.
I really figured I would be a little too far away to be of use as a Guinea Pig anyway. I shall await your, uh, whatever it is you're doing! :lol:
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

dont let any of those jeepers hear you compare a zr2 to a rubi as if they are eqaul :lol:

a BL and 31's and you have the same clearence from the suspension down to the ground as a zr2. and same wheel base as a ext cab. and the cc has more clearence under the rear diff :D

now as far as the rubi is concerend. a stock rubi will out wheel any other stock vehicle any day of the week on any trail.
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

I wasn't so much comparing the ZR2's and Rubi's as saying that they had a definate advantage over my stock height Crewcab. Really though, like I said before, the biggest problem I had last weekend was my trashed OEM shocks. I know it's my own fault for not replacing them. I don't know if airing down and disconnecting the front swaybar would have helped but I didn't do those either. Thankfully I have the full set of metal skidplates or that one rock could have been disasterous! I think it hit the plate where the oil pan is.

I've never been a fan of body lifts so I'm holding out for whatever HenryJ is "brewing in secrecy" here. I trust you Brule so don't let me down! (Hee-hee! I love throwing out little mind trips! :evil: )
gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gocntry »

HenryJ wrote:Get your finances in order and save up some money, but I may be pushing for you to go a slightly different direction.

Hmmm, I Have The Money Saved Up And Was Planning On A Superlift The Beginning Of Next Month....BUT Now That You Have A "Secret" Plan Should I Hold Off A Little Longer :poke: Your Teasing Us Now... That's Not Fair :lol: Just When I Thought I Had My Game Plan In Order Well I'll Wait Until Next Month And See If You Have Any "NEW" News For Us......
The Crew Is Gone, Now I Have A Hoe
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

I just hope I don't have to wait too long. Sharon might change her mind! Every husband here KNOWS how women can be! :?
malkavian
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by malkavian »

I hate secrets :evil: i almost have the money for the super lift also...... So do we wait HENRYJ???? :cry:
[size=75]2006 Silvarado with 5.3 tow haul package, and 1993 jeep grand cherokee starting the build on it this summer.[/size]
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

Anyone notice how HenryJ suddenly got really quiet? Hmmm?
I can almost here that haunting music playing in the background!
I LOVE the suspense! :lol:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

What kind of cost are we looking at for the three available lifts?
Lift with shocks- $1700
Tires- $560
That is $2260 plus installation.

So far I estimate the complete package running under $1600 with signifigantly lower installation costs added. I could even see a "budget" package running right at $1000 delivered and with some direction, installed yourself. Add $100 to that for a professional alignment and the mount/balance of the tires. This has you ready to go at 1/2 to 1/3 the cost.

So far the benifits far outweigh the differences.

This may not be for everyone. If you are in a hurry go with one of the available lifts. I can not put a timeline on this as a part of it is not within my control. I probably should not have opened my mouth at all :roll:

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

HenryJ wrote:I probably should not have opened my mouth at all :roll:
Well you've done it now :lol:

You might as well spill the beans :D
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I know... :!:
Who knows it may not "pan out" afterall. I would hope things could be ironed out by Christmas, but as I said, I do not have total control.
There is the problem of "things" happening too.

If you are in a hurry, and want the lift soon, study the available lifts and make your choice.
They are not a bad way to go.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

HenryJ wrote:What kind of cost are we looking at for the three available lifts?
Lift with shocks- $1700
Tires- $560
That is $2260 plus installation.

So far I estimate the complete package running under $1600 with signifigantly lower installation costs added. I could even see a "budget" package running right at $1000 delivered and with some direction, installed yourself. Add $100 to that for a professional alignment and the mount/balance of the tires. This has you ready to go at 1/2 to 1/3 the cost.

So far the benifits far outweigh the differences.

This may not be for everyone. If you are in a hurry go with one of the available lifts. I can not put a timeline on this as a part of it is not within my control. I probably should not have opened my mouth at all :roll:
Do you mean the "complete package", including wheels and tires for under $1600??? :shock:
I can't be possibly be reading this right but if I am, I'm waitin'!!!
gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gocntry »

HenryJ wrote:If you are in a hurry, and want the lift soon
Yep I Wanted To Do The Truck This Summer

Rusty wrote: just hope I don't have to wait too long. Sharon might change her mind! Every husband here KNOWS how women can be!
Yep Wife Is Talking Hot Tub Not Truck Lift..... :lol:

I Think I Am Going To Town And Find The Lady With The Crystal Ball...I'll Let You Guys Know What She Says :wink:

I Hate Not Knowing What Lies Over The Horizon.... :evil:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Rusty wrote:Do you mean the "complete package", including wheels and tires for under $1600?
It would retain the use of the stock wheels, but yes, everything needed to drive away. Tires and shocks are definately in the estimates.
I hate seeing a kit price and never having a real good idea what the whole "turn key" product will cost.
I won't string you along. If things don't look good in the next 30 days I'll let you know.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

I'd love to see it happen. I've often wondered how much mark up TM, SL and BDS tack on to their prices. When I see these kits, I just don't see $1500-2000 worth of parts or R&D for that matter.
malkavian
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by malkavian »

I was just ragging on you Henry J... :P Man you give to much good info here for me not to listen to you. I do lurk alot and post occasionally but from the advice on mods for the new guys that come in to the site, to the efforts you put into the alternator reserch... what can I say I dont even know you but I trust you. Ill hold off and see what Henry J is cooking up. Heck I only have the money for the lift right now. I still have to save for the tires, wheels, t bar relocators, bubaloos skid paltes, and my winch. So I still have a easy 3000 to come up with. :x So heres to Henry J and all the hard work and time he puts into this site. :cheers: :bounce: :cheers:
[size=75]2006 Silvarado with 5.3 tow haul package, and 1993 jeep grand cherokee starting the build on it this summer.[/size]
gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gocntry »

HenryJ wrote:I won't string you along. If things don't look good in the next 30 days I'll let you know.

:thumb:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Don't let your minds get this blown out of proportion. You guys may not even be interested when or if I get everything checked out :lol:

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

HenryJ wrote:Don't let your minds get this blown out of proportion. You guys may not even be interested when or if I get everything checked out :lol:

I'm not getting all crazy over this. I know it's still in the early stages. I've waited this long to get a lift kit (actually, I'd given up the idea until recently) so I don't mind waiting a bit longer if there's a chance it will be worth the wait. It's not like I was going to run out and do something tomorrow anyway. I still have to "get the finances in order" and that will take a while, like as in sometime next year at the rate things go around our house.
ludwis
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ludwis »

Its worth the wait for me...even if it takes a year. Anything that HenryJ puts together is bound to be high quality and have a number of other advantages (lower price point, diy friendly directions, etc...)
2003 S10 Crew 4x4
Mods: 1.5" Front Spacers - GM Valley Hitch - WeatherTech WeatherFlectors - Bilstein Shocks - Boise Spring works 2" rear spring kit - Truxedo Toneau Cover - PopLock tailgate lock - Hypertech Tuning - SKIDS Flares - 2" Body Lift - ZR2 Axle upgrade
top_sgt
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by top_sgt »

i'll get in line here too!!!! keep us informed henry!!!!!!!
might be interested my self!!
2004 S10 CC ZR5 4x4 >> traded for a 2006 F150 supercrew!!
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

I'll bet HenryJ is REALLY kicking himself for saying anything now! :lol:
top_sgt
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by top_sgt »

that's what happens when you "open that can of worms!!" :lol:
but we can wait , henry!!
2004 S10 CC ZR5 4x4 >> traded for a 2006 F150 supercrew!!
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Rusty wrote:I'll bet HenryJ is REALLY kicking himself for saying anything now! :lol:
I knew I should have just PM'd you :!:

All I started with was a little handful of snow. I tossed it down and now it is rolling out of control.
I'm afraid this may not meet your expectations :lol:

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

HenryJ wrote:
Rusty wrote:I'll bet HenryJ is REALLY kicking himself for saying anything now! :lol:
I knew I should have just PM'd you :!:

All I started with was a little handful of snow. I tossed it down and now it is rolling out of control.
I'm afraid this may not meet your expectations :lol:
I don't know about anyone else's expectations but I don't think I'm getting overly excited about whatever it is that you are doing that you think won't meet my expectations. Did that sentence sound right? :!: - need more coffee! :lol:
camelott112
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by camelott112 »

im overly excited tell me hj or i may just die haha
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

This is where we all just need to start making wild guesses :-)
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
jeggers
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by jeggers »

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: tell us please . may be i will put the superlift kit on ebay :oops:
2001 cc 2" pa body lift traded
2004 cc zr5 2" pa body lift 6" super lift 2" rear shackle and tb crank traded for a v-max Silverado
2006 V-max cc
2001 ex cab 4x4 ls work truck rufff country 2" lift sold
2012 silverado WT 2wd
camelott112
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by camelott112 »

i know its a 10 inch twisted suspension lift like the one made for the full size gm pickups right hj totally bolt on no cutting or welding required :lol: cmon hj is that what it is (just so nobody gets crazy that was a joke)
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

adrenalnjunky wrote:This is where we all just need to start making wild guesses :-)
:lol: Maybe a custom 15" lift w/ 4-link suspension and 44's :lol: :lol: :lol: Or may an air ride suspension. You know, the truck lowers when you open a door :lol: :lol:

Just messing with you Brule. I am waiting patiently :D
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
jeggers
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by jeggers »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
2004 cc zr5 2" pa body lift 6" super lift 2" rear shackle and tb crank traded for a v-max Silverado
2006 V-max cc
2012 silverado WT 2wd
Don
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm with these guys....

Post by Don »

You go HJ...it don't really matter what ya come up with...we all know its going to be good...one way or the other....
Whatever you say on here to me, is the gospel....I don't know of a case where you've lead any of us astray :D

This ought to be real good...
[size=75]It was just working....
02 ZR5 added tint to front windows,Huskys in the pan and Ultra X bed liner,VentVisors.
Bilstein shocks all around..
Hope to raise it up someday..[/size]
jeggers
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by jeggers »

hj need info please, please, please, please
2006 V-max cc
2012 silverado WT 2wd
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

What I want to know is whether or not this "mystery lift" HJ is being quiet about is SFA related. The more I think about it the more I tend to lean towards SFA as a lift option.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Don't you worry about what I am up to , just save your funds and get finances in order so that you are ready when I am ;)

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

HenryJ wrote:Don't you worry about what I am up to , just save your funds and get finances in order so that you are ready when I am ;)
Oh, I'm saving my pennies! Only thing right now is that I REALLY want that Yaesu FT-857D when I pass my General exam. Now look what you did to me! :lol:
gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gocntry »

HenryJ wrote:Don't you worry about what I am up to , just save your funds and get finances in order so that you are ready when I am ;)
Funds Are Saved......Finances Are In Order......I'm Ready!!....Let Me Know When Your Ready.... :D
Blaze One
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Blaze One »

hmmmm.... this seems intersesting , I can only hope that it is adaptable to fit a 99 blazer 4dr . can u give me that much info ?
[size=75]1995 Chevy Blazer 2dr 4x4 Limited Edition [/size]
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

Ok, the funds were saved, finances were in order. Then I found another money pit! :?

Don't worry HJ, by the time you are ready, I should be ready. I only intend to spend the cost of a case of Rustoleum on the latest "disaster" until I get some of the other projects out of the way.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Does anyone else see a pattern here?

The majority of people that went with a SL and BDS has either went SAF or sold their rigs and disappeared.

True, we have some very happy with their lift and they posses some good looking rigs :D

Just throwing this out for whatever it is worth but, I know personally that I hung on to KCKustoms every post and awaited progress reports.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

f9k9 wrote:Does anyone else see a pattern here?

The majority of people that went with a SL and BDS has either went SAF or sold their rigs and disappeared.

True, we have some very happy with their lift and they posses some good looking rigs :D

Just throwing this out for whatever it is worth but, I know personally that I hung on to KCKustoms every post and awaited progress reports.
Don't forget Quickbiker. He had a TM lift but had a lot of problems with ball joints, CV's, etc, just like the other kits. Now he is going the SFA route too. I'm seriously questioning the whole idea of lifting IFS rigs in the first place. I don't know what HJ has in mind but if it's IFS, I hope he finds a way to use a full sized truck's ball joints, idler and pitman arms. Those are the only things I can think of that would make a IFS lift worth the cost and effort and I really don't know if using full sized ball joints would even help. I know the ider and pitman arm swap works good. I'm leaving mine stock until this all gets sorted out.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

f9k9 wrote:... either went SAF or sold their rigs and disappeared.

SAF, Saudi Air Force? Jeez, I though that the French foreign Legion was where one went to disappear? ;)

I would really like to see a 9" Ford/Porsche long arm front IFS swap. That is going to run big bucks though. Someday I may go that route.

It is true that some of those who lifted big seem to disappear, but I think the majority are still with us.

The SFA (Solid Front Axle) is not a bad way to go for maximum lift and still be able to wheel hard.
I really didn't have those guys in mind for what I am trying to put together. What I have in mind would probably not hold up to a2b, or quickbiker's abuse.

I am looking at the components carefully, and making changes that are geared to the daily driven weekend getaway vehicle. Maximizing the lift for dollar spent and ease of installation are priorities.
I know that I said I would have more information in 30 days, but as you may well know things that are beyond my control have brought the process to a screeching halt.
I was promised that , what I hope to be one of the components, will be shipped Monday. We will see if that happens this time.

There are a couple of the parts that make me a little nervous, in terms of availability. Both long term, and the fact that there may not be a second choice for manufacturer. I like choices and for one of these I have yet to find another option without making some concessions. Once these two parts are on board things will progress pretty rapidly. I need to try one before I will be able to test the other though.

This has been in progress since April, and I was really only going to offer Rusty an option that might be what he was looking for? This should offer up to 3" additional ground clearance and a total height increase around 5". It seems that there may be more interested as well, but this may not be what you are looking for. The "hype" here was purely unintentional on my part and I apologize. It is way too soon to let the "cat out of the bag" , as I do not have everything here yet, and I will be testing it prior to filling you all in.
As my luck goes costs are higher than I anticipated. I will have it all figured out eventually though. Who knows this may not pencil out?

I would say if you are in a hurry, and want a big lift look to the lifts that are currently available.

For the Blazer guys: I am sorry that this is not being specifically designed toward your vehicles. There are differences in the rear that may make this somewhat difficult to adapt. I'm not saying that it can't be done. I just don't know enough right now.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Blaze One
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Blaze One »

thats cool , this is a crew cab forum . I am considering trading my blazer in for a xterra or taco anyway . So i need to really think about what mods i will be doing , if any now . Your kit will be the only one worth the money I'm sure . Good luck .
[size=75]1995 Chevy Blazer 2dr 4x4 Limited Edition [/size]
gairbear
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gairbear »

Mod. Lift Spindles?
Black '02 crew cab-30" BFG's, K & N FIPK, Go Rhino step bars, 2" body lift