12 volt air compressor

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

12 volt air compressor

Post by HenryJ »

OK, this is a bargain that will not last!

Autozone product details

This is a GREAT little compressor! and the price is REALLY good! $24.99 It comes with hose , fittings, filter, quick coupler, needle, and nozzles.
Ask for the MV50 12 volt Air Compressor. Mine was "Sureflow" , but I guess they may have different brands.
You can find them at Shucks, Kragen, Checker, Autozone, etc.

These have been discontinued due to poor sales. They will not plug into the cigarette lighter port due to the fact that they draw too much amperage. That may be the reason sales are poor.

It is all metal, and works pretty well. You can air up from 15 to 35 psi in a little over 3 minutes. They can also be mounted and hard wired if you wish.
Mine came with a nice carry bag. I'm going to check locally to see if I can snag another one :thumb:
Last edited by HenryJ on Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

That does look like a good deal but, is unavailble in my area. I did notice in advance on Sat that they had the combo battery booster/compressors on sale. I have never tried the compressor portion of mine but, have used the booster alot.

I picked up the 300 amp one at wallyworld after xmas for 49.99 but advance had a 300 amp one for $29.99 and a 600 amp one for $49.99.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Rusty

Re: 12 volt air compressor

Post by Rusty »

HenryJ wrote:OK, this is a bargain that will not last!

Autozone product details

This is a GREAT little compressor! and the price is REALLY good! $24.99 It comes with hose , fittings, filter, quick coupler, needle, and nozzles.
Ask for the MV50 12 volt Air Compressor. Mine was "Sureair" , but I guess they may have different brands.
You can find them at Shucks, Kragen, Checker, Autozone, etc.

These have been discontinued due to poor sales. They will not plug into the cigarette lighter port due to the fact that they draw too much amperage. That may be the reason sales are poor.

It is all metal, and works pretty well. You can air up from 15 to 35 psi in a little over 3 minutes. They can also be mounted and hard wired if you wish.
Mine came with a nice carry bag. I'm going to check locally to see if I can snag another one :thumb:

If you can find another one, let me know. I already checked for one here but they list it as "unavailable" at all the stores. :(
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: 12 volt air compressor

Post by HenryJ »

Rusty wrote: I already checked for one here but they list it as "unavailable" at all the stores. :(
You may have to stop in and check. They do not seem to show up in the inventory online, since they have been discontinued.

The local Shucks store here has six of them. They will not accept phone credit card orders, or ship to other than one of their stores in the region :( .

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Air compressor test- MV50 vs QuickAIR2

And the thread that started this all- Air Compressors?

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

Just bought the MF-1050 from Pep Boys. Nice little compressor. I like the carrying bag it comes with and the whole thing fits neatly behind the seat. I've always been nervous about airing down when off road (not that it would have helped last saturday :roll: ). Now that I have this little jewel I don't have to worry about filling the tires back up afterwards or worse, knocking one off the bead and then having to deal with trying to reinflate it on the trail. :thumb:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

:thumb: That is the one tested above , and exactly the same as the MV50.
As long as you spent under $100 you did very well.

Next trick when you get time is to add some quick connects. You can plug in jumper cables, or your compressor. Heck use big enough cable to power your winch someday ;)

Enjoy! I really like mine, and the peace of mind that it brings. :mg:

- ThunderII KE7CSK
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

You can get them on Ebay - but they are in the $70 range - LINK

long url linked-HJ
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Retail seems to be in the $50-$60 range from what I have heard.
Other brands of pumps are running $100-up for something that will move a comparable amount of air.

Goodtimes mounted his under the hood of his Jeep.
Goodtimes wrote:Update on the compressor. Last weekend, I used the compressor for the first time in the field. It seemed noisier than I remembered (could be suffering from CRS though). I was in Florence AZ, it was 108* (ambiant), not sure of underhood temperatures. The compressor filled 3 of my 4 285/75R16's, from 11psi to 34psi, at which time the thermal overload tripped out. It was too friggin hot to wait for it to cool off, so I paid to use the gas station compressor for the last tire.

I was disappointed that I only got through 3 of my tires, but I may have better luck when it isn't so damn hot out. I'm sure the compressor was closer to 200* when I started airing up, so maybe I need to address that problem...
So I guess if you plan to mount one, find a cooler location?

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

Paid $60 for it. I could have sworn the shelf they were on, everything was marked $49 though. Oh well.
malkavian
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by malkavian »

:x :x :x :x danggit .... as soon as I saw this I hit every autozone, advanced auto and orielsy in my town none have or can get it. Henry J how much are they at the schucks near you? Or if someone mearer can get one. arrrrggghhh :lol:
[size=75]2006 Silvarado with 5.3 tow haul package, and 1993 jeep grand cherokee starting the build on it this summer.[/size]
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

I just tried mine out today. I had aired my tires down to a little under 25psi on that off road trip I took. I started to reinflate them with my big compressor and thought why not try the little one out. I'm impressed! It reinflated each one of my 235/75-15's to 35psi in under a minute each. 10psi per tire in under a minute! Sure beats those cheap ones that plug into the cigarette lighter, make a ton of noise and don't seem to do much. This thing was even fairly quiet.

I hope you guys can find one somewhere because this belongs on the "mandatory" list for those of us that go off road. I looked on the Pep Boys website but couldn't find any and I got the last one from the local store.

Update: Try this link:
http://www.autoworldaccessories.com/scr ... ry_id=1196
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Shoot.. I wish I'd jumped on this earlier.... $30 is alot better than $70 :cry:
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

wamason wrote:Shoot.. I wish I'd jumped on this earlier.... $30 is alot better than $70 :cry:
Like I said earlier, I paid $60 for mine. That makes two of us that wish we could have got it for $30! :?

Of course what would have been really cool would have been a group purchase but I guess that ain't happening.
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

For $30 apiece, I would've bought 4 or 5 :D
--Walt
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Last edited by HenryJ on Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Could these be a similar product? Inflation Zone Tornado Portable Air Compressors

The $69.95 version may be comparable?

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

You're right. One of these three appears to be a viable alternative. They certainly look tougher than most portable compressors available, and seem to share some components with the MV50.

The smaller of the three seems to look the most like the MV50, although looks can be deceiving. None of the three are rated as highly as the MV50 on current draw (10, 14, and 23 amps versus 30 amps).
--Walt
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

They all look quite a bit different from mine. The design is similar though.
Mine has a gauge where the airline is and a big filter on the other end of the cylinder head.

This one just seems a little beefier? Too bad they are gone.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Yep... I love mine. I sure wish I had jumped on the band-wagon when they were $25. :cry:
--Walt
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I finally got my MV50. I got tired of paying $2.25 to attempt to air up from 15 PSI to 30 PSI at the pay tire compressors and still have them shut off. $.75 for 4 minutes run time. 15 to 30 PSI in like a minute and a half with the MV50 per tire.

I still wanna go CO2 and am looking at some options with the paintball tanks on walmart.com.

Definitely Image
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I think you will be very happy with the compressor. An unlimited supply of air in a small portable package.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I am very impressed with the MV50. The newest model (I am assuming) has a screw on connection for a tire valve. You can inflate or deflate with what they have on the air hose but, after one tire being inflated you better have a rag or mechanic's gloves handy because the brass connection are to hot handle.

On an unrelated note, my friend that has crossed over with me from KYMC.org to KentuckyCrawlers.org has a CJ7 with a 5.7L. He has and older York compressor (no tank) that made my jaw drop when he ran a line to a YJ that broke a front axle and they used a 1/2" impact wrench to make the repair.

I know I shouldn't be surprised though. I've been with a rig that broke a shackle and about the 4th vehicle that we asked if, they had a welder, had one. He had a second alternator dedicated to the welder.

I do know that I do not know jack about recreational wheeling at this point!

Want to know why so many trailer their rigs to a ride? They are street legal but, wanna get home if, they break :wink:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Jigg
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jigg »

Quick question... would dual compressors and a larger tank than the one in the link(MOAB Jeeper test and onboard system) be necessary if i wanted to run some smaller air tools (nothing crazy, a cutoff tool, ratchet, etc)?
[size=75][url=http://www.synergyoffroad.com]Synergy Offroad[/url][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I think CO2 or compressed air would be a better choice. The CFM rating and duty cycle would not be enough for air tools.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

All you that missed out , here is your chance: Amazon.com MV-50 12V air compressor $49.88

They are going fast.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

They are good little compressors for the money. I like mine and it will air up 33s from 13 lbs to 32 lbs in under 3 min apiece. Only problem that I have had is that a wire separated from the battery clamp in Moab but, HenryJ and I just pinched it back in with pliers. That reminds me, I need to solder that sucker back in. :lol:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Totally forgot about that. Glad you remembered it.
Mine kept up with Jack's high dollar compressor really well. I was done first. I did not air down as far as you two though.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Don't know why I never thought of it but, Jack gave me one of his gently worded suggestions that always proves helpful. :wink:

"Keep the engine idling when airing up." I really noticed the difference in compressor speed but, didn't feel overly stupid for not thinking of it on my own. Maybe it's the intriguing accent of his, that puts one at ease with his recommendations. :D
border man
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by border man »

For those of you with Sam's Club memberships, they currently are carrying compressors similar to these for $35 in store and $51 online :?:
[size=75]I didn't do it, it was already like that when I got it.[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

That appears to be the same one. I missed that.
I didn't see them in the local Sam's Club.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
border man
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by border man »

They have them here in several Phoenix stores, I also saw them in Roswell, NM and El Paso, TX.
[size=75]I didn't do it, it was already like that when I got it.[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Good Xmas gift ;)

- ThunderII KE7CSK
24digger
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 24digger »

Went to Sam's Club today, it figures they didn't carry the MV-50 they had this one instead.

boner :lol: bonaire

Looks similar, got it anyway $34 dollars
[size=75]2002 Yellow Crewcab, Gaylord X2000 Lid, Ventvisors, Painted to match bugshield, Stepshields, K&N filter,rear swaybar, Bed X-tender,Window Tint, 1.25" wheel spacers,overhead console with trip computer, steering wheel with radio controls, bilsteins, optima redtop, taylor wires. flowmaster 40 muffler, energy suspension swaybar bushings[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I have been equipping ultra-light expedition equipment. Basically outfitting my dual sport motorcycle similar to what I have done with my truck.

I came across this little pump and it reminds me quite a bit of the bargain 12 volt MV-50 compressor I carry in the truck. I thought it might come in handy for others that bicycle or motorcycle as well.

It is the Air Revolution foot pump tire inflator.Check this out: Youtube Video Demonstration

Twisted throttle has a comparison
article: wrote:Pump Comparison - electric vs. foot-powered

We wanted to show just how awesome our MiniFootPumps are, so we decided to run a comparison between the Original MiniFootPump, the AirRevolution, the 12V Slime Power Sports Tire Inflator and the 12V Cycle Pump.

Size Comparison:

Pump Weight (lbs) Height (in) Length (in) Width (in) Packed Size (in3)
Cycle Pump 12-volt Tire Inflator 2.30 10.25 5.50 2.25 126.84
Slime Power Sports 12-volt Tire Inflator 1.20 6.25 6.50 2.00 81.25
Original MiniFootPump 0.56 5.25 3.50 3.50 64.31
AirRevolution MiniFootPump 1.06 6.00 3.50 3.50 73.50

Pulling the results of the "12 V Mini Pumps Battle!" from the November 2006 issue of Motorcycle Consumer News, we tested the performance of our pumps on a similar rear tire. We used the 17" rear tire of a Triumph Tiger 1050 - they used the 17" rear tire on a Buell Ulysses. Both bikes use the same tire size and shape (180/55 ZR17).

We tested the inflation times to 30 PSI, 36 PSI and 44 PSI. The results? (Note: some times are missing because the MCN article did not record times greater than 5 minutes)

Pump 0 to 30 PSI 30 to 36 PSI 36 to 44 PSI Total Time & Final Pressure Rear Tire Tested
Cycle Pump 12-volt Tire Inflator 3 minutes - +2 minutes 5 minutes@44psi Pirelli Scorpion Sync 180/55 ZR17
Slime Power Sports 12-volt Tire Inflator 4 min :17 sec* - not reached within 5 minutes - - not reached within 5 minutes - 5 minutes at 31.8psi Pirelli Scorpion Sync 180/55 ZR17
Original MiniFootPump 5 minutes +50 seconds +60 seconds 5.8 minutes@44psi Avon Storm ST 180/55 ZR17
AirRevolution MiniFootPump 4 min : 30 sec +45 seconds +54 seconds 6.1 minutes@44psi Avon Storm ST 180/55 ZR17

*Slime pump inflation time to 30psi based on linear interpolation between the pressures measured at 3 minutes (26.7psi) and 5 minutes (31.8psi).

Most 17" front sportbike tires or 19" front dual-sport tires can be inflated in about 60% less time than a 17" rear sportbike or dual-sport tire, as a front tire's volume is about 60% lower. To prove the point, we tested front tire inflation speeds on the Avon 120/60-ZR17 front tire on our shop's Suzuki SV650. MCN did not test front tires, we don't have data for our competitor's pumps.

Pump 0 to 30 PSI 30 to 36 PSI 36 to 42 PSI Total Time & Final Pressure Front Tire Tested
Original MiniFootPump 2 minutes +35 seconds +38 seconds 3.2 minutes@42psi Avon 120/60-ZR17
AirRevolution MiniFootPump 1.5 minutes +25 seconds +25 seconds 2.3 minutes@42psi Avon 120/60-ZR17
There is aslo a review done by Gearreview.com
Gearreview wrote:Two Foot Pumps From Mini Foot Pump
By James Sharp

According to Mark Twain, the only thing that a person can be sure of in life is death and taxes. If you ride at all, you can add flats to the list. I cannot count how many times I have been riding along only to suddenly hear air coming from one tire or another. Nothing ruins a good lead in a race like a flat. I have spent many hours sitting on the side of the road pumping with a little frame pump until my arms felt like they were going to fall off, or worse, pumping like mad only to have the valve stem snap off because I got a little overzealous. Well, there is a new (on this side of the Atlantic) pump that can alleviate some, but not all of the frustrations associated with flats. It is called the Mini Foot Pump.

The Mini Foot Pump comes in two flavors: the small, carry-with-you Mini Foot Pump and the larger-but-still-Lilliputian Air Revolution. They retail for $29.95 and $49.95, respectively. As the name may indicate these are small pumps that you activate with your foot. Both are capable pumps and both can inflate road or mountain tires.
Air Revolution Foot Pump

Air Revolution
The Air Revolution is the Big Brother to the Mini Foot Pump, but that doesn’t mean that it is large in any way, weighing in at a paltry 17 ounces. It has two chambers, one low pressure and one high pressure, and is capable of reaching 260psi. This means that it doubles as a shock pump and is even equipped with a bleed valve and high pressure gauge. The pump head is designed so that it doesn’t lose any air from the shock when you go to disconnect it. This is achieved by backing off the pin that presses the shocks valve core before you remove the pump head. Unfortunately this same head that is so great for a shock requires the use of an adaptor to fit presta valves. I’ve never been a big fan of adaptors. They can get misplaced and never seem to be where you need them. A nylon bag that carries the pump and adaptors is included.

The dual chamber design of the Air Revolution lends to its stability, something needed when you use your foot to pump, but doesn’t do anything for the efficiency of the pump. Inflating a tire is by no means quick, one of the prices paid for high pressure.
Mini Foot Pump

Mini Foot Pump
The Mini Foot Pump (MFP) is the real story here. At just 9 ounces, the MFP is about as light as you’d expect for a pump this size. Marketed as the Bikers Dream in Europe, the MFP has been around for some time, just not in the U.S. Don’t let its size fool you; this is a capable pump. It is rated to 140psi, more than almost all road tires. The efficiency of the MFP is actually better than the Air Revolution. That’s not to say that it is particularly fast, but it ranks right up there with other small pumps. The pump head is convertible from presta to Schrader.

What is the biggest benefit? No more hunching over to fill a tire road- or trail-side. No more damaged or broken valve stems, thanks to the long hose. You attach the pump, stand up hold your own bike, and pump. No more, “hey could you hold my bike for a minute while I pump.”

Like the Air Revolution, the MFP comes with a nylon bag. The bag for the MFP, however, has three hook-and-loop straps to attach it to your top tube.

Summary: Both the Mini Foot Pump and the Air Revolution are quality pumps. While both have their limitations, the Air Revolution seems to have more of them. It isn’t quite small enough for a mini pump, but doesn’t have the volume for a floor pump. I see the buyer as someone who travels a lot and doesn’t want to pack a shock pump and a tire pump, or someone who finds space in his/her car to be at a premium during the summer road trips. The Mini Foot Pump, on the other hand, would be a good choice for anyone who rides, whether on road or off. It attaches to the frame via the included nylon bag, keeping it away from the muck and mud of off-road rides; likewise it doesn’t take up room in your hydration or seat pack. I would recommend the MFP for anyone who continually damages valve stems, or who is looking for an easy to use frame pump, from novice to expert.

James Sharp is a contributing editor for GearReview.com specializing in mountain biking.
ATV source had a press release in 2004
April, 2004 – Munich Germany – The MiniFootPump© Company has further improved the dual cylinder AirRevolution. The new Power Sport Edition includes many upgrades over the previous
version. Sepp Kanzian, MFP inventor explains: “We listened to our power sports customers from all over the world. We added almost 20% air volume through aluminum cylinders, a more stable base and a heavier gauge chrome spring. The appealing design remains, yet the internal technology yields a better pump for power sports users.”

“Be Confident – Be prepared”

* The AirRevolution is compact. It measures 6 inches high by 3.
* The AirRevolution is lightweight. It weighs just one once over a paltry pound – 17 ounces of effective air pump.
* The AirRevolution is durable, dependable and accurate – due to its “No Pressure Loss’” shut off adapter. It really works, and it will last and last.
* The AirRevolution is so easy to use, its even fun. Your legs do the work, and you’re not down on your hands and knees with your backside waving at passing traffic trying to pump up a tire with an inefficient hand pump.
* The AirRevolution is efficient. The two aluminum cylinders pump action, and the 32” hose easily reaches everywhere.
* The AirRevolution is versatile. It pumps up any tire, small or large, as well as balls, toys and other inflatables.
* The AirRevolution packs along with you in its own nylon carrying case, with room to spare.

“Never Worry - Never Stranded”

Bikers Dream, LLC (DBA MiniFootPump©) is an affiliate of Bikers Dream Germany. Distributed through Tucker Rocky Distributing, Medart ATV, Advantage Performance, Motovan Corp., D’Pirate, Toy Box Trailers, White Horse Press etc.

For more information contact Volker Ackermann at 415.482.9907 or Volker@minifootpump.com or visit them on at www.minifootpump.com.
Nice compact little unit. The bag is about the size of my hand. They are hard to find on ebay as normal search terms don't turn up all the pumps. On ebay a search using "german foot pump" will find the seller I bought mine from for $22 shipped.

I could easily see this as being a nice little unit to carry in the truck for emergencies. It might take some time, but some air is better than none. For a bike it is awesome.

- ThunderII KE7CSK