Geocaching

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

kf6kmx
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Geocaching

Post by kf6kmx »

Ok, thought I'd ask.. How many people on here are into Geocaching?

On the geocaching.com by userid is, amazingly enough, 'S-10crewcab' :wave:
[size=75]-Scott-----'03 CrewCab S10 - Pewter
[url]http://www.kf6kmx.net/s10tracker.asp[/url]<-- Follow this link to find my trucks current actual location! Updated whenever the ignition is on. (tracker radio is currently intermittant) Pioneer XM, MagnaFlow, Garmin GPS,Tornado AMS , APRS Tracker, 2m/440 Ham Radio, Vista Camper Shell (from SoCalDave) , JottoDesk laptop mount, Rancho 5000's, Revo 235 75R15 on stock rims[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Count me in:)
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

BLT Lehman, we have been dormant for a while, but should add up a few finds next week :D

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
kf6kmx
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kf6kmx »

HenryJ wrote:BLT Lehman, we have been dormant for a while, but should add up a few finds next week :D
So far I dont have any finds listed for caches.. have a few benchmarks under my belt (2 or 3).. I only really started this sunday... already have 65 local waypoints for them loaded into my GPS II+ though :-) and that was a search just for 10mi radious of Lemoore.. not even counting Hanford yet.
[url]http://www.kf6kmx.net/s10tracker.asp[/url]<-- Follow this link to find my trucks current actual location! Updated whenever the ignition is on. (tracker radio is currently intermittant) Pioneer XM, MagnaFlow, Garmin GPS,Tornado AMS , APRS Tracker, 2m/440 Ham Radio, Vista Camper Shell (from SoCalDave) , JottoDesk laptop mount, Rancho 5000's, Revo 235 75R15 on stock rims[/size]
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

You've already heard me rant and rave about it! :lol:

BTW, I go by "GSK11740" on Geocaching.com.
top_sgt
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by top_sgt »

guess i better check this out!!!!
2004 S10 CC ZR5 4x4 >> traded for a 2006 F150 supercrew!!
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

top_sgt wrote:guess i better check this out!!!!
If you have kids, they'll love it! My 5 year old son can't get enough of it. He wants to go out today but it's 91 outside and I'm thinking A/C.
top_sgt
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by top_sgt »

AC..............and cold beer!!!! :lol:
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

top_sgt wrote:AC..............and cold beer!!!! :lol:
Where are your priorities?

Cold Beer................and then.......AC :lol:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
top_sgt
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by top_sgt »

wellllllllllllllllllll....................i guess the cold beer first!! what good is the
AC without the beer!!!! :lol:
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

Well, the beer is certainly important. For lack of A/C there is always the swimming pool out back! :D

Too bad I don't have one! :cry:
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

top_sgt wrote:wellllllllllllllllllll....................i guess the cold beer first!! what good is the
AC without the beer!!!! :lol:

David,

Go to www.geocaching.com, register, plug in my zip code (40744) for nearby caches and then make plans for a combination of off roading and geocaching :lol:

I know you'll plug your zip code in out of curiousity but, refrain from what is listed as microcaches :D

If you want to try some, wait until you visit and I can ride shotgun and give a few wints when you are way off base. :lol:

Before you even start.........Yes, an old Jarhead can teach a senior doggy NCO new tricks :thumb:

After all, I spent 20 plus years trying to forget the military grid maps, using USGS maps and before 2000 dealing with the intentional in accuracy of GPS
kf6kmx
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kf6kmx »

Found this.. Kind of interesting:
Tulare Advance Register newspaper wrote: Catch the cache GPS gives treasure hunters an eye in the sky

By Mike Hazelwood
Staff writer

That new hobby leads a retired judge of 20 years into bushes along an In-N-Out Burger drive-through, searching for ... who knows what?

"You kind of feel like an idiot with people looking at you," says Dave Allen, 74, the retired Tulare County judge.

What hobby has a 29-year-old man tracking a SpongeBob SquarePants keychain that has hitch-hiked from California to Hawaii to Colorado?

"It's traveled about 6,000 miles now," says Robert Berge, the 29-year-old from Porterville.

What new hobby has fans of all ages chasing blips on a screen, roaming the globe for small goodies and the thrill of discovery?

It's called geocaching, an electronic treasure hunt done with Global Positioning System coordinates.

And if you haven't heard about it yet, you're quite frankly ... lost.

The hobby

Geocaching (pronounced "cashing") is all about the thrill of the hunt.

The basics of this simple sport:

# A geocacher hides a "cache" -- from keychains to refrigerator magnets to even cash, along with a journal -- and posts the GPS coordinates at www.geocaching.com.

# Prizes are hidden everywhere, from downtowns to rural fields to national parks. Berge even tracked one down in an old gold mine.

# Other geocachers are alerted to nearby caches via the Web.

Cache

Continued from page 1E

iÝArmed with GPS units, they triangulate the coordinates and try to hunt down the cache. If they find it, they sign the journal. Then they either trade the cache or, in the case of Berge's SpongeBob, hide it elsewhere.

Recent caches led geocachers to the College of the Sequoias giant statue, the Tulare Welcome Center at the Horizon Outlet and Aero Dogs in Tulare.

Some cache stories spread like legend, such as the $100 bill still waiting somewhere in Kings Canyon National Park.

The cache isn't the only reward.

"You feel satisfaction when you find something you're looking for," Berge says.

But it's not always easy.

Sometimes a non-geocacher finds the cache and snags it.

Sometimes a new fence or some obstacle is erected after the cache is stashed.

Sometimes a geocacher can't take the odd looks from passersby who think they're a nut for snooping around parks, alleys, courthouses, pastures or elsewhere.

And sometimes you'll search high and low, only to find nothing. Then you return home and, according to the Web log, everyone else found it easily.

Call that the Geocacher's Lament.

Though he has found almost 300 caches in nearly a year, Allen still knows that feeling.

"You think, 'What the hell's wrong with me? Why can't I find it?' " Allen says.

The people

There isn't just one type of geocacher.

They're students, lawyers, housewives, househusbands, retirees and more. Often, they find the same prizes without running into each other, communicating mostly via the Web site.

"It's kind of secret society," says Berge, who shares his hobby with his wife, April, 27.

They keep coordinates and caches in their cars, in case they pass a good place to hide or seek.

They all enjoy a good hunt -- wherever they can find it. Many fans use geocaching to spice up a vacation.

Allen's family took a trip to Great Britain and Ireland recently. And before they left, they looked up caches waiting near their planned stops. They found about 10 in places like London and Dublin.

For geocachers, the sport is more than technology.

It's about a game that never ends. It's about playing a secret sport under mainstream America's nose.

That's why you may find geocachers like Allen, our retired judge, happily searching through the bushes. Or creeping around an alley, hiding a magnet cache under fire escapes.

Allen doesn't mind the strange looks he gets.

"People just assume you lost something," he says.

Email this story

Originally published Saturday, September 25, 2004
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

Treasure hunt or terror threat?

Geocaching game triggers bomb squad alert in Bethlehem.

A PennDOT worker salting roads about 5:30 a.m. Tuesday saw a woman in dark clothes walk down a Bethlehem hill, pause at a tree along Hellertown Road near the Interstate 78 overpass, turn around and get on a bus.

Sidney Reph followed the woman's footprints in the snow, and beneath the tree found a tarp hiding an ammunition box with a combination lock.

He told police he ''got away as fast as possible'' because he thought it could be a bomb. Firefighters, police officers and bomb squad technicians secured the area while investigating the mysterious box with ''This is a game'' written on the front.

They eventually determined that the box was part of a treasure hunt in which players use coordinates and a Global Positioning System receiver, or GPS unit, to determine where hidden objects are.

Enthusiasts say the game — geocaching — inspires people to get off the couch, grab a GPS unit and tramp through the great outdoors.

Dean Guth of Bethlehem, who had hidden the ammo box, said millions of caches are scattered throughout more than 200 countries.

An avid player, Guth said he's only heard through the grapevine of one case where the game ran into trouble with the law — the arrest of a California man who had hidden a cache near an overpass.

Now Guth worries Bethlehem police might arrest him over the incident Tuesday in the 1100 block of Hellertown Road.

''I understand their position, but I think they completely overreacted,'' he said. ''If they would have taken five minutes to investigate, they could have found out this was certainly nothing to worry about.''

Guth said he's hidden about 30 caches ''in various cities'' but wouldn't be more specific. When police asked him where else in Bethlehem he had hidden them, he refused to say, arguing it would ruin the thrill of the game.

Police wouldn't say whether Guth might be charged or with what crime. But they and fire officials fear it could cost thousands of dollars for bomb squad technicians to examine mysterious packages hidden in the city.

Police Capt. John Sarnicky said the department wants to know where the caches are. If police knew the locations, he said, they would still have to investigate calls about suspicious packages but could possibly tailor their response.

''Just because something is marked as being a game doesn't mean that's what it is,'' Sarnicky said. ''Bad people have a tendency to try and disguise things, and we have no choice but to treat it like it could be a bomb.''

Two technicians from the Bethlehem Fire Department's bomb squad were called to investigate the box Tuesday, said Lt. Joe Chernaskey. As they inspected the box and tried to determine what was inside, a fire official went to the Web site listed on the box: geocaching.com.

The lock was broken and inside were stuffed animals, toys, notebooks and maps, according to police.

Geocacher Tyson Sprandel of Bethlehem said he arrived at the site to look for the treasure shortly after emergency crews left. A state Department of Transportation employee told him he ''had just missed all the excitement'' and told him what had happened. Sprandel called Guth because he knew Guth had hidden the box, and told him to call police and explain.

Guth said he told police about the game and said he had permission from Charlie Brown, director of the city Parks and Public Property Department, to hide the box.

Brown said he did give Guth permission, but he thought the box would be buried, not hidden beneath a tree.

Guth used the metal box because it is waterproof and durable, he said. He doesn't like to refer to it as an ammunition box because it no longer holds ammunition and is painted over to eliminate any military markings.

The geocaching Web site lists 150 hidden caches within 10 miles of Bethlehem. The packages could range from as small as a film container to 5-gallon buckets.

''[Police] just have no concept how widespread this game is, and I'm not the only one involved,'' Guth said.

Bethlehem will absorb the cost of Tuesday's response, said Fire Commissioner George Barkanic, but if calls about suspicious packages continue to come in, the costs of investigating them will be paid by the people who hid the caches.

Each call for the bomb squad costs thousands of dollars, he said.

Chernaskey added, ''From the bomb squad side of it, it's something we really frown upon, because all these calls could cause havoc throughout the city. In this day and age, with people worried about terrorists, this isn't the smartest thing to do.''

Police are still investigating the ammo box incident and said anyone caught in city parks after hours will be cited.

Sprandel said he's been addicted to the game since 2004. He said fellow enthusiasts who play it follow the rules, which include getting permission from the proper authorities to hide objects on their land.

''Kids are too wrapped up in their electronic games and television, and this is something that gets everyone out of the house and into nature,'' he said. ''This isn't something to be alarmed about. This is something people can have an absolute blast doing.''
[size=67][i]"Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."[/i][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

We had a section of highway shut down and the bomb squad remove a bucket under a bridge.

People should know ,by now that the game exists, however you do need to think about where you hide them. "Locations of interest" are not the best choice unless you have sought and obtained proper permissions.

Fortunately for the cacher that hid at the bridge, he got wind of the gathering and rushed down to inform the police, ODOT , and bomb squad. I did not hear of charges filed, but it is something you really need to think about.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

A similar SNAFU happened last year at our court house. I couldn't talk any sense into the young gung ho Deputy US Marshals until they embarassed themselves. The cache planter need to do a little research and use common sense.

One of our regular FedEx drivers had to drive a leased Penske truck (due to the Xmas thing) year before last and he wondered why I greeted him with a 40 S&W after he parked in a "no parking" zone next to our federal building and I couldn't see into the cab.

He got a laugh and he was quick to point out that, at least, it was not a "Ryder" truck.

Somehow, I failed to see the humor :bonk:
snocat1
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by snocat1 »

For the forest preserve you have to call and register the box and give the location of the box and it is good for one year.
[size=75]2001 crew cab with a quick hatch tonneau cover
235/75/15 bridgestone dueler at revos[/size]
Rusty Shackleford
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rusty Shackleford »

I've done it a few times around here...its been a while though. I think the reason why I dont do it more is that I really am not impressed with my GPS (Garmin e-trex).
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

snocat1 wrote:For the forest preserve you have to call and register the box and give the location of the box and it is good for one year.
That is beginning to make sense if, and it is a very big "if", all agencies know about the locations. Knowing federal, state and local agencies, as I do, I would be surprised if all are aware of the caches.

I think it is a very good idea and hope that it works.
mattfu
Crew
Crew

Post by mattfu »

yes all goecachers please be responsible for your placements. the USA will be much different , but in canada it is now becoming very illegal to leave caches in national parks and such, mostly ruined by a few badd apples leaving products that smell and attract bears and cougars to the caches.
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

Another case of the dangers of geocaching in a post nine-eleven world...
Internet game leads to bomb scare
By Samantha Sommer Staff Writer
Monday, December 29, 2008

URBANA, Ohio — The Internet-based geocaching game led to a bomb scare in Urbana on Sunday night, Dec. 28.

Employees from Tim Hortons, 759 Scioto St., flagged down Urbana Police Department officers about 5:46 p.m. Sunday after seeing a man lifting up the metal base of a lamp pole, Urbana Police Lt. Matt Lingrell said.

The man drove off when officers arrived. Police found 35-mm film canisters with a metal plate and electrical tape in the post, Lingrell said, and considered it suspicious-looking.

"It didn't look like anything good," he said.

Tim Hortons and the nearby Save-A-Lot and Odd Lots stores were evacuated and cordoned off. The Wright-Patterson Air Force Base bomb squad was called to investigate the items.

Police also checked the man's license plate and an Urbana detective went to his Enon home with Enon police.

The man told the detective that he was playing geocaching, a game that calls for finding hidden objects sometimes using GPS devices to track coordinates listed on Web sites.

"It's like a treasure hunt," Lingrell said.

The bomb squad used its robot to check the items in the post and declared them safe. Upon opening the canisters, investigators found paper with numbers and the names of players who had found the object written on it.

Investigators also tracked down the man who placed the canisters in the lamp post in early November.

The stores reopened about 8:40 p.m. Sunday.

Urbana police will present the information to a prosecutor, possibly today, to determine if any charges should be filed.

The state patrol and Champaign County sheriff's deputies also responded.
[size=67][i]"Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."[/i][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Lamp poles around there must be items of strategic importance and likely to be subject to acts of terrorism?

- ThunderII KE7CSK
jedthrocornpone
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by jedthrocornpone »

I wish people were hiding LPC's (lamp pole cache)around me its gotten out of hand, everything has to be the hardest sneakiest evil thing they have ever seen. Makes it hard to enjoy Travel bugs and coins, you almost have to place a cache just to move them along............or drive out of the metro area were folks haven't lost there minds. Oh and don't get me started on puzzle caches.....YIKES!