motorcycles

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

Justin
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

motorcycles

Post by Justin »

I have been mingling in the motorcycle market for a few weeks now. My mother purchased an 05 honda reflex 250cc scooter for a daily commuter back and forth to work. With gas prices on the rise, 40-50 mpg sounds like a good plan to me. Now I have no intentions of purchasing a scooter, rather a motorcycle.

I almost purchased a harley V-rod last week. My uncle sold his 03 because he felt it was too sporty. He then purchased an 05 fatboy and traded in the V-rod. Harleys are expensive and I've recently looked into a used suzuki hayabusa 1300, thats right, the worlds fastest production motorcycle... And they sell used at around $8,000. So how does insurance cost with a bike like this and are there any who have heard of this bike?

thanks,
Justin
[size=75]05 Sierra LLY "Silver Bull"[/size]
Blackmobile
Regular
Regular

Post by Blackmobile »

Don't know about the Huyabusa, but I just pd. $132 (annual) for full coverage on my 2001 Triumph Bonnveville. Yeah, 50 mis./gal. beats by CC. My Bonnie was 7250 new, new now may be around 8K, depending on the model. Low mileage used ones, much less.
[size=75]stock 03 CC
"Blackmobile"[/size]
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

I've been considering similar options but it doesn't make too much sense financially. Sure it's cheaper to drive a motorcycle than my truck but, I've already got the truck. Which is more than I can say for the motorcycle. Also, 1300cc bikes don't get 40-50mpg. More like 30-35mpg. Yes, that's a substancial imporovement over the 17-18 I'm getting now but it's also a substantially long investment payback cycle.

I pay about $60 a week for gas now. Double my fuel efficiency and I'll be paying $30. Assuming of course that ALL other conditions are perfect (I'll still have to drive the truck to work on rainy days). So, at a savings of $30 per week, it will take FIVE YEARS to make up the $8k bike cost (and that's assuming 0% finance charge). Again assuming that I can drive the bike EVERY day, all winter long, and nothing ever breaks or needs maintenence/repair.

If you were already in the market for a bike or you're looking for another reason to buy one... sure fuel efficiency will help close the deal but, contrary to mrs barch's philosophy... you hardly ever save money buy spending more.
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

Harley v-rod gets about 33-39mpg
The performance definitely lives up to the musclebike style. Top speed is close to 140 mph. Shifting was positive, but stiff, a problem Harley has already recognized and plans to remedy before production starts. Fuel mileage ranged from 33 to 39 mpg.
suzuki hayabusa 1300gets about 30-35
Performance:
- 9.89 seconds, 136 MPH, quarter mile
- 189 MPH top speed
- 158 horsepower @ 9000 RPM
- 100 ft/lb torque @ 7500 RPM
- 0-60 MPH, 2.6 seconds
- Fuel Mileage: 30-35 MPG
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

barch97 wrote:...Also, 1300cc bikes don't get 40-50mpg. More like 30-35mpg. ... you hardly ever save money buy spending more.
I get 42 mpg on my V65 Sabre. It sure helps out the wallet. I am a fair weather rider though so there is a month or so before I'll be riding it regularly :D
Glad I bought it when I did , and kept it all these years :thumb:

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

HenryJ wrote:
barch97 wrote:...Also, 1300cc bikes don't get 40-50mpg. More like 30-35mpg. ... you hardly ever save money buy spending more.
I get 42 mpg on my V65 Sabre. It sure helps out the wallet. I am a fair weather rider though so there is a month or so before I'll be riding it regularly :D
Glad I bought it when I did , and kept it all these years :thumb:
That's outstanding. How much you want for it? :wink:
coreylubahn

Post by coreylubahn »

Yeah I have a Honda Magna, which for those who aren't familiar is a "sport cruiser". It's basically looks like a standard cruiser (ie. Harley) with all the chrome, but it doesn't have a V-Twin engine like basically every other cruiser out there. It's got a V-4. That's right 4 cylinders (like a crotch rocket...which I had before) but in a V configuration (whereas a crotch rocket has and inline 4). It's basically a mix of a V-Twin and a Crotch Rocket's inline4. Gives it a sound more like a cruiser but with performance more like a sport bike. It's a 750CC and it puts out around 80 HP, whereas a standard 800CC Cruiser (V-Twin) puts out around 45HP and a 600CC Sport Bike (inline 4) puts out around 125HP. It's really a great ride and I got it used (3 years old with 6300 miles) for like $4750. Not a bad deal (they go around $8000 new). Plus it looks really cool to have 4 big chrome exhaust pipes coming out (2 on each side).

Justin, as for the Hayabusa don't expect the insurance to be real friendly at your age (basically the same as mine), especially if you have any tickets on your record. When I got my CBR600F4 I had before this bike I was 21 with a clean driving record and my insurance was just over $1200 a year (although I later switched companies and it dropped to like $400 a year). Now with the Magna (and being over 25 AND married) my insurance is less than $200 a year. Also really think about the kind of riding you want to be doing and consider all types of bikes...a sport bike is great for around town in short sessions (your butt will start to hurt after an hour so continuous) whereas if you want to do any "trips" with the bike a cruiser or something like it is much more comfortable for longer rides. Either way motorcycles are great fun if you respect the extra dangers involved (cars really don't see motorcycles at all). I always recommend to people that they look into a Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) class, they really help anyone learn to be a smart, safe street rider, plus in most states it helps you get your license easier. But that's just my advice...sorry to ramble on guys.
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

coreylubahn wrote:Yeah I have a Honda Magna, which for those who aren't familiar is a "sport cruiser". It's basically looks like a standard cruiser (ie. Harley) with all the chrome, but it doesn't have a V-Twin engine like basically every other cruiser out there.

great family bike :lol:
SomeCrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by SomeCrew »

[size=59][color=red]| '03 CC | WESTIN SPORTSMEN BRUSH GUARD | KC DAYLIGHTERS | WESTIN NERF BARS | WESTIN SPORTSMEN TAILLIGHT GUARDS | 6" SUPERLIFT SL |2" PA BL | 35" THORNBIRDS ON 15" AMERICAN RACING WHEELS |[/color][/size]
border man
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by border man »

SomeCrew wrote:This is my next vehicle purchase

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/products/mc ... 3_4759.jpg

Exactly............. :schwing:
[size=75]I didn't do it, it was already like that when I got it.[/size]
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

For you single guys, this is the bike to get if you want to impress the ladies. :wink:
SomeCrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by SomeCrew »

I would only get that bike if I was going to be doing stunts. That is a stunt bike. They cover it up like that to keep the farings from getting scrathed up if they mess up.
[size=59][color=red]| '03 CC | WESTIN SPORTSMEN BRUSH GUARD | KC DAYLIGHTERS | WESTIN NERF BARS | WESTIN SPORTSMEN TAILLIGHT GUARDS | 6" SUPERLIFT SL |2" PA BL | 35" THORNBIRDS ON 15" AMERICAN RACING WHEELS |[/color][/size]
n0m4d
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by n0m4d »

I have a Yamaha XT225. It gets scooter gas milage at 80mpg but is way more fun. I think it was around $4000 new and is by far the most fun of all the motorcycles I've ever had. It's amazingly simple to work on too.

[size=75]No more CrewCab. Now driving 2007 Hummer H3, 5-speed, 35" Toyo Open Country MT's, PIAA in the driving lights. [/size]
SomeCrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by SomeCrew »

We call them dirt bikes with headlights.
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

Anyone remember these things?

Honda CBX

That's a DOHC 24 valve inline 6 cylinder sitting in there! Seriously bad@ss bike in it's day. First street bike I ever saw that could smoke a tire!
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I like the Urban dirt bike for a commuter bike idea. I rode an old Yamaha 125 enduro for a while in High school.

The CBX Super Sport is cool, I remember them :D In the movie "Knightriders" king William played by Ed Harris, rode one- Image
and there used to be one that showed up at the drag races when I was running the points at Firebird.
I had an old CB 450 twin at the time.
Last edited by HenryJ on Fri Apr 15, 2005 4:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
SomeCrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by SomeCrew »

Went up to the local track last night (capitol raceway). There was a Suzuki hybusa 1300 up there with turbo and nitrous, ran an 8 second quarter mile with no wheelie bar.
SomeCrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by SomeCrew »

Went to the NOPI Nationals up Bud's Creek in Maryland over the weekend, and there were 2 Hybusas up there, both running high 5's. No wheelie bar. INSANE!
Pauleo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Pauleo »

Figured I would wake up this old thread since I am now looking at a bike. I am considering a small bike. An `03 Yamaha Virago 250cc. As a kid, I always LOVED the Virago and this bike seems to be priced right at $2500 with only 780 miles on it. I haven't made up my mind for sure if I really even want a bike, but thought I would tap into this old thread to see if it sparked any interest or comments.
[size=75]"As I said before, I never repeat myself!"[/size]
Pauleo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Pauleo »

I GOT IT!!!

Here's what's even better! This bike was at a Honda car dealership and I decided to purchase a Honda Element to use a new delivery vehicle for my shop. I told the salesman that I usually buy my vehicles across the road at another dealership (which was the truth) but I stopped at Honda because the bike caught my eye. I told them that I would buy the Element from them if they could figure out how to throw the bike in for free. :evil:

They took me up on it after about a week of discussions and I walked outta there getting a decent deal on the car and $200 for the bike! (To cover the cost of taxes and title.) I'm a pretty happy camper!! :bounce:
Last edited by Pauleo on Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

8) nice!

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Pauleo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Pauleo »

HenryJ wrote:8) nice!
In a perfect world, it would have been RED! :wink:
But I'm still happy!
Jigg
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jigg »

:lol: Looks good!
[size=75][url=http://www.synergyoffroad.com]Synergy Offroad[/url][/size]
Pauleo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Pauleo »

Jigg wrote:Image

:lol: Looks good!
:lol: I actually thought about something like that; taking it apart & painting it. But this bike is so super clean, I would have to be a complete idiot. It only has 780 miles on it. I mean, I may still be an idiot, just not a COMPLETE idiot! :lol:
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BobbleSmitty »

http://www.bigbearchoppers.com/gallery/ ... _merc.html

Merc Rigid

“107 ci Polished S&S motor, Bars/Risers/Exhaust/Forward Controls/Jockey Shift/Grips/Foot & Twist Grip Hand Clutch by Leroy-Thompson Choppers – Mentor, OH. Paint by Mike Valentine – Lyndhurst, OH. Velocity Stack – Custom Billet Parts - Warren, OH. Exile Sprocket-Rotor, Built by ‘The Snake’ in his small-ass garage with help from a bunch of buddies and lots of Beer!”

This is my cousin’s chopper which I helped build it with him. I was one of the “buddies” mentioned in the quote! This bike has to be the sickest ride ever! I remember last summer he was next to me on a main road and he got on it! I’ve never seen anything that fast take off next to me at 35mph. It's crazy!! :lol:
[size=75]2004 S-10 Crew Cab ZR5 -*SOLD*-2" PA Body Lift - Air Shocks - 30x9.5" Cooper Discoverer S/T tires - 1.25" Rear Spacers - Clear Bumper Lights - Westin Safari - Light Bar w/ 100watt 6" Lights - Custom Stainless Steel V-force Dual Exhaust w/ 3" Black Chrome Slash Cut Tips - CB radio w/ 100watt PA speaker - Alpine MP3/CD Player - 10" JL Sub w/ 300watt amp - Low Profile - 'TonneauMasters' Tonneau Cover - In-channel Vent Visors - Airbox mod - Custom Front Tow Hooks - Debadged [/size]
Pauleo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Pauleo »

:shock:

That thing is crazy! I don't think that I could even come close to handling something like that! It's definately wicked cool, but I think I'll stick to my itty bitty two fitty! :lol:

Well.....

At least for now. :wink:
chumley
Crew
Crew

Post by chumley »

http://www.s-10crewcab.com/coppermine/a ... pics/10115 If I could get this pic to work I'd show you my '02 FXD that I don't get enough time to ride :x

added image-HJ
[size=75]98 4dr Blazer 5"TM 2"bl 33"BFG AT Flowmaster w/ duals http://community.webshots.com/user/chumleyd8
-Stupidity should be painful-[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Here's my ride-

1984 Honda V65 Sabre

I can be pretty hard on the throttle and still consistently get 42 mpg.

Here is the thread - What are you driving for gas mileage?

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Pauleo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Pauleo »

I like that FXD, Chumley. I am already afraid that I am really starting to catch the motorcycle fever. I really am starting to love to ride!

Everyone told me not to buy a 250cc bike because I would quickly outgrow it and want something bigger.........

I'm afraid they were right!!! :!:

I'll keep this bike to continue to learn on. Next summer, all bets are gonna be off! :lol:

HJ, do you ride your bike much?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Pauleo wrote:...do you ride your bike much?
I used to ride lots, but all my friends grew up and sold their bikes.
I ride it to work three days a week, weather permitting, and on misc. runs to town mostly.

It was the first vehicle I bought new. It really is a rush. With the fairing it will still pull the front tire in the first three gears. calculated top speed was 178 mph, I think? I haven't had it much past 140 :)
I am sure there are faster bikes around, but this one really is comfortable on extended rides, and around town. I would not give it up.

I wouldn't mind owning a Harley and a BMW someday if I were rich.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
kauaibuilt47
Crew
Crew

Post by kauaibuilt47 »

It was the first vehicle I bought new. It really is a rush. With the fairing it will still pull the front tire in the first three gears. calculated top speed was 178 mph, I think? I haven't had it much past 140
I am sure there are faster bikes around, but this one really is comfortable on extended rides, and around town. I would not give it up.
You talking about that old Honda in the pic? How many cc's is it? If its anything less than 900cc (because of its age) it shouldnt get that fast. The speedo's of all bikes are off by as much as 8% from the factory, they sell "speedohealers" to correct this.

This is what I got. 2005 Suzuki GSX-R750 - got a few mods and more waiting to get put on when I get back (i've heard that my bike max's out at 170mph - corrected - or so).

Image Image

Been up to 150 mph (uncorrected - corrected estimate would be about 135 mph) and I was at the top of 4th gear, 12,000 out of 15,000 rpms (15,000 is the begining of redline and I got 6 gears).

I get around 35-40 mpg around town, less if im racing in the mountains.

I had my HD Softail Standard on order until the end of last month but had to cancel.
[size=75]Never get into an argument with an idiot. They only bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

kauaibuilt47 wrote:...You talking about that old Honda in the pic? How many cc's is it? If its anything less than 900cc (because of its age) it shouldnt get that fast...
:lol: Yes, "the old Honda".
Check out the Guiness Book of World records for that year. LINK , LINK
The V65 Magna held the title. The VF1100S Sabre was a hopped up version marketed as a "sport touring" bike. It is a 121 horsepower 1100cc water cooled V-4. I can not attest to the accuracy of the speedometer past 80 mph, but the cop that cited me for 78 mph years ago was right on the money :mad:
I have personally run the quarter mile on it in the high 10's. A professional rider could hit mid 10's easily.

It has several things that were way ahead of their time. A digital fuel gauge, self canceling turn signals, shift position readout, TRAC (Torque Reactive Anti-dive Control) , prolink rear suspension, air shocks front and rear. optional oil pressure and water temperature gauges.
I did not get the last two since I purchased the highly sought after fairing from a wrecked bike in Colorado.

There was an article I saved somewhere about a Sabre running a roots blower and nitrous. The bike dynoed over 170 RWHP. Back in the early ninties that was pretty good for a stock framed bike.

Here are another couple links: SabMag.org , Honda Milestone
Last edited by HenryJ on Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
chumley
Crew
Crew

Post by chumley »

I wouldn't mind owning a Harley and a BMW someday if I were rich.
I'm not rich, just makin' payments. Thanks for getting the pic up for me HJ I messed with that for an hour.
I like that FXD, Chumley
Thanks Pauleo. It's easy to keep it looking nice when it just sits in the garage under a cover. But some buddies and I are planning a " field trip" to the Chesapeake Bay early Aug. for some crabs. Looking forward to it since the wife hasn't been on this bike yet ( bought it in Oct) :cheers: :D Anyone from that area recommend a good bar/ crab joint with a motel close by?
[size=75]98 4dr Blazer 5"TM 2"bl 33"BFG AT Flowmaster w/ duals http://community.webshots.com/user/chumleyd8
-Stupidity should be painful-[/size]
gairbear
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gairbear »

I have a suzuki gz250 right now...I'm just startin' out....My next bike is gonna be a yamaha v-star.
Yeah and gettin' a 'busa...I'm thinkin'...maybe...you have a death wish of some sort lurking in your subconcious. mho
Black '02 crew cab-30" BFG's, K & N FIPK, Go Rhino step bars, 2" body lift
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

I've got a 2000 Harley Sportster 883 with the 1200+ conversion engine kit, Arlen Ness Big Sucker K&N air filter, Bossani chopper exhaust, 10" rear short shocks, forward controls, laydown license plate, along with some other misc. additions/chrome. I'll try to post some pics. once I figure out my camera and how to post them.---I'm not into the high tech thing-so it may take some time--Camera directions said something about a firewire.
[size=75]'01 CC w/ a bunch of Mods. More always on the way.
Realization...All women need medication...Just find one on the right medication & make sure she stays on it!!!![/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

WVHogRider wrote:... directions said something about a firewire.
That's the fuse...you will need a match ;)

- ThunderII KE7CSK
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

Still got my sporty.
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

Your sporty looks good Quickbiker. :thumb: I see a few mods on it that I may try/do.

I couldn't find any matches HJ, but I got a lighter. I'm still looking for some det. cord and the leftover C4 from last 4th of July. :lol: J/K

I don't know what it is. I spent all that $$$ on new rims, step bars, tail lights, etc for the CC recently, but I won't go out and spend $30 on a firewire so I can down load pics from the camera to post on here. :crazy:
Realization...All women need medication...Just find one on the right medication & make sure she stays on it!!!![/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

i filled up last night. i got 63 mpg this week :D
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

OK, I think I finally figured out some of this computer uploading/downloading :bs: . Here is a picture, (atleast I hope), of my Sporty while still mainly stock.

Sorry, in advance, if too big.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Bike looks good and your picture size is good!
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

:D Thanks. I'll have to take one of it now with the the engine upgrade, new exhaust, air cleaner, rear lowering shocks and a wash/wax, (and also at a better angle). :D
Pauleo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Pauleo »

Nice bike Hogrider! I'd like to see those pics with the mods done!

I have been out looking for a new bike already. :roll: :crazy: I wanna get a Yamaha V-Star. They are MUCH more in my price range than a HD would be. I thought I had it all worked out and the deal ready to go. Then my wife came, smacked me on the hand, scolded me, and told me NO! :cry:

:lol: I guess I spent enough money on my old truck, a bunch of new tools and all my other "stuff." I had better start putting some money toward her new kitchen! That's the LEAST I can do for her putting up with me and my constant need for new toys!!! :lol:
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

8) Will do on the updated pics. :punch: Not to start any family feuds, but if you, or anyone, are thinking of buying a scoot, check out cycletrader.com. I did a search of OH bikes year 2000-2005 and found several relatively cheap V-stars, HD, etc that already have alot of goodies on them with low miles. :evil: And if you like the V-star, take a look at a V-Star Warrior. One of my co-worker buddies just got one last summer--It's sweet. (PSST-I also like Yamaha's, my 4wheeler is in the gallery). :D
Pauleo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Pauleo »

WVHogRider wrote:And if you like the V-star, take a look at a V-Star Warrior. One of my co-worker buddies just got one last summer--It's sweet.
Oh yeah! A buddy of mine has a Warrior also! They are pretty sweet. The old school cruiser is more my style though. 8) I like a bunch of different bikes. The V-Star has the look I'm after and was in my price range.

I have seen a bunch of different used bikes that were priced right and that I would love to own. My trouble is that I want to be able to go to a dealership where I can trade mine in. I don't wanna play around trying to sell it myself and I don't want two bikes.
RickZRX
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: motorcycles

Post by RickZRX »

Justin wrote:My mother purchased an 05 honda reflex 250cc scooter for a daily commuter back and forth to work. With gas prices on the rise, 40-50 mpg sounds like a good plan to me. Justin
My Kaw 1100 does 40-45mpg... er..well, it does during the week when commuting.... at weekends in the canyons it drops to about 30-35mpg... :)

Justin wrote:I almost purchased a harley V-rod last week. My uncle sold his 03 because he felt it was too sporty. He then purchased an 05 fatboy and traded in the V-rod.
LMFAO!! he thought a Vrod was too sporty???? :lol:
Pauleo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Pauleo »

Hey Hogrider! Where are those pics at???! It's been a whole 2-days and I'm an impatient person!!! :lol:
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

I'm in Lousianna right now. I'm flying back to WV in a couple hours.
:speedy:
I will try to get some good ones tomorrow. Been in LA more over the past 2-3 months than actually at my house. I'll be in WV all next week, so I know I should be able to take pics of the bike as well as get all the mod parts on my truck.
:nana: :nana: :nana: :nana:
PS. Centerline said I should have my new wheels next week too. So I'll try to decide on a tire and get those mounted as well. (Firestone Dest. MT's, BFG MTs, GDY MTRs??????) They are all the exact same price.

PSS. I only got my serpentine belt done last weekend--Had my 5yr old daughter the whole time. She's turning more like my ex everyday. She wouldn't let me work on anything, but complained because I don't have it done already, (the nerf bars, still laying on the spare bed).
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

Pauleo wrote:Hey Hogrider! Where are those pics at???! It's been a whole 2-days and I'm an impatient person!!! :lol:
Here you go...Sorry for the delay...

F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I'm getting the bug, Mrs Hoff is open to the idea and it is the right time of yr to buy. Why am I hearing waterfowl emitted gurgling sounds :?:

Are these decent prices HOG

2003 HARLEY-DAVIDSON SPORTSTER, 883-Hugger lowrider,100th Anniv,$2K in extras,detachable sissy bar,2700 miles,garage kept,very good cond,$7100

2001 HARLEY-DAVIDSON 883, SPORTSTER 883 - XL Custom, pearl white, windshield, forwardcontrols, Harley saddle bags, Excellent Condition, $6,950

[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Pauleo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Pauleo »

Nice bike, man! 8) I'd like to get into modding my bike but at 250cc, I think it's probably a moot idea! :roll:
Pauleo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Pauleo »

Hey, F9K9! I think I may have found the bike for you.

Paint the rims black, put on a 2" lift and you're SET!!! :wink:
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I know.......

You couldn't help it :wink:
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

f9k9 wrote:I know.......

You couldn't help it :wink:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
Pauleo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Pauleo »

:wink:
border man
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by border man »

Pauleo wrote:Hey, F9K9! I think I may have found the bike for you.

That one is actually way cool 8) in yellow
[size=75]I didn't do it, it was already like that when I got it.[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

border man wrote:
Pauleo wrote:Hey, F9K9! I think I may have found the bike for you.

That one is actually way cool 8) in yellow
You are wearing me down on the idea :bonk:
kegrill
Regular
Regular

Post by kegrill »

I've been riding this 1990 suzuki for abot 2 yrs now. I've been thinking about trading it for a Harley but kinda wat to keep it because there are so few of these.
Snoman002
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Snoman002 »

kegrill wrote:I've been riding this 1990 suzuki for abot 2 yrs now. I've been thinking about trading it for a Harley but kinda wat to keep it because there are so few of these.
Dang, I like that bike. That would look good in all flat black :wink:

I'm trying to get my bike running, but with two broke trucks and about three other vehicles I have promised to work on I think the bike is going to have to wait.

So what do you think, half helmet, full face, or motocross? I'm sick of my full face, I would like a half helmet but I'm kinda fond of my face (don't know why though :lol: ) but a motocross helmet is something different Yes, it would look strange, but it won't be one of the fancy ones loaded with graphics and will probably be painted flat black instead (to match my bike when it gets painted flat.

If your interested (click for bigger pics):

The way it sits now, thanks to my brothers sense of style. The headlight and fairing are from a Yamaha Exciter snowmobile.
Image]

Closer to what it will look like when I get the new seat made and figure out a headlight. I'm still working on how to keep the digital gauges without having them stick up so far above the bars.

1982 Yamaha Virago 920. The bike was given to me by my brother for helping him run a snowmobile racing orginization. I can complain about his sense of style, but sure can't complain about being given a free bike.
[size=75][b]1991 GMC Sonoma Extended Cb[/b] - 4.3L Automatic, 2" BL, 31" BFG's.
[b]1992 Chevy T-10 Reg Cab[/b] - 4.3L 5spd, 3" Bl, 31" Mud Tires. Hooker long tube headers and true duals.
[b]1999 Oldsmobile Bravada[/b] - Wifes truck, all stock.[/size]
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

f9k9: Yes, either bike would be a good buy. With the extras that I see on them, low miles, it would be like buying a new bike, but without the engine break in period.

Snoman002: With that bike and the way I think you want to set it up, I would say go with the regular whole helmet. Paint/buy it flat black and you could put the plain sun visor or clear face shield on it. A couple guys here at work have those style helmets.
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

Snoman---Something like this, and you could add the clear/tinted face shield if you wanted. As for the full face, I haven't used mine in over three years. I use one of those little peanut shell helmets--You know the tiny non-DOT ones. http://www.helmetshop.com/mmHEL/Images/ ... LACK06.jpg
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Just a word in favor of full face helmets.
Having personally tried to maintain an airway on a rider who took a spill wearing a 3/4 helmet, I will always wear a full face.
His face was mush, jaw shattered, teeth gone, and a bloody mess. I never did find out if there was another vehicle involved , an animal, or what happened.

I have personally known two others who, if they had been wearing a full face helmet, they would have sustained little or no injuries.

I live next to a state where helmets are not required. I do understand there are those who feel it should not be required to wear a helmet. I can understand their point, however we all pay for the injuries and increased severity of the injuries through increased insurance rates.

There are plenty of designs that offer comfort and style. I wear a full face Shoei with a mirror shield. It is comfortable , has good ventilation and has a snell rating. I would wear nothing less.

Your head is something that you can not go without, and your face probably would not see much improvement from road rash, or reconfiguration. You can be the safest rider out there, and something can still happen. Why gamble? Take any reasonable precautions that are available to you. JMO.

In addition to the helmet, gloves are worn everytime, 90% of the time I am wearing a leather jacket with spinal, shoulder, and forearm shielding, as well as boots that cover the ankle. I don't think it is overkill, nor do I find it a burden. :fingerscrossed: I have had only a few close calls and no major incidents in 23 years of riding street bikes.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
RickZRX
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by RickZRX »

HenryJ wrote:His face was mush, jaw shattered, teeth gone, and a bloody mess. I never did find out if there was another vehicle involved , an animal, or what happened.
I kinda figure that sooner or later all the idiots who wear pisspots instead of full face helmets will be gone & the gene pool will be that much stronger. We had 2 HD riders collide here last week, both wearing pisspots, one was DRT with his brain smeared along the freeway & the other is still in a coma with severe brain injury.
No one has yet worked out why 2 bikes going the same way on a 3 lane freeway collided with each other.

Had an uncle who never wore a helmet, he crashed when I was 1yo, he died in hospital when I was 40. 39years dying ain't much of a living.
Everyone in my family rides, altho my 70yo mother just had knee replacement so she's eased up a bit.
[size=75]Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione.[/size]
Pauleo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Pauleo »

I just got a full face modular helmet last month. I like it pretty well. Although it is a bit heavier and hotter than my 1/2 helmet, I just "feel" so much safer and more confident about surviving a spill. And it cuts down on the wind noise a bunch when I'm traveling at higher speeds.

I know that this has recieved way too much media attention, but being a die-hard Steeler fan from from birth, I'll go ahead and say it.... Look at Ben Roethlisberger! Keep the full face helmet and if not, PLEASE wear SOME type of skid lid!

Here in Ohio, a helmet is not mandatory but you won't catch me riding withot one! I don't want to offend anyone but, IMHO, it's just nuts that people don't wear one. ESPECIALLY going 60-70 mph on a 6 lane highway! Nuts!
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I came across a photo or ad many months ago with a full face helmet that had the entire front swivel back. I agree that the full face one is the way to go but, idling in traffic they are hotter than he_l! Any info on the ones I thought, I saw?
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

im not much for 2 wheel bikes, im an atv guy, great in the blizzard winters when cars and trucks are stranded in the driveway,

and yes it fits

F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Nice color anchor :wink:
top_sgt
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by top_sgt »

f9k9 wrote:Nice color anchor :wink:
????? the anchor has to be the quad,,,,,, you can't use a s-10 for an anchor!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
2004 S10 CC ZR5 4x4 >> traded for a 2006 F150 supercrew!!
RickZRX
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by RickZRX »

f9k9 wrote: I agree that the full face one is the way to go but, idling in traffic they are hotter than he_l!
We have a choice between hot & stupid, I'd rather be hot :)
[size=75]Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione.[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Apparently I only thought I saw a full face helmet that had a way to open up in stopped traffic (besides the shield).
Snoman002
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Snoman002 »

f9k9 wrote:Apparently I only thought I saw a full face helmet that had a way to open up in stopped traffic (besides the shield).
Like this?

[b]1992 Chevy T-10 Reg Cab[/b] - 4.3L 5spd, 3" Bl, 31" Mud Tires. Hooker long tube headers and true duals.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

That's an example. Thanks! Anyone hear about their structual abilities?
Pauleo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Pauleo »

That's the kind that I have. They are called modulars. As far as I know, they are safe. Only, you have to watch how the font portion locks down. Some are made cheaply and may come open on impact.

I don't open mine in traffic though. Just flip the sheild up. But you will appreciate this F9K9, one of the main reasons I got the modular is so that I can flip the whole front up when I'm smoking! :roll: Pretty silly, huh? Also, with the front flipped up, the helmet is much easier to put on and take off.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Pauleo wrote:But you will appreciate this F9K9, one of the main reasons I got the modular is so that I can flip the whole front up when I'm smoking! :roll: Pretty silly, huh? Also, with the front flipped up, the helmet is much easier to put on and take off.
Now you're talking my "talk" :wink:

I guess if they don't come in yellow, I could have it painted :roll:
Snoman002
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Snoman002 »

I do believe that it was Ski-Doo that had some of the first ones (made by SHOE (sp) if I remember right), so one in Yellow should be available.