A Good Cop went off Duty last Night!

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

A Good Cop went off Duty last Night!

Post by F9K9 »

My 4th and last K-9 partner(we both retired in '02) went off duty last night(3/13/05)

Do not want condolences just respect for good cops:P :D
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

1 of the best lookin cops I have seen
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

A toast

"We come from the dust, we return to the dust. I spill my drink for those in the dust ...with hope that someone will spill for me."

I will spill my drink for her. :cheers:

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

HenryJ wrote:A toast

"We come from the dust, we return to the dust. I spill my drink for those in the dust ...with hope that someone will spill for me."

Well put! For once tonight, I'm actually at a loss for words.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Thank you, HJ

& I concur :cheers:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Retep
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Retep »

You may not want condolences, but you have mine anyway with lots of respect for you and your lost partner. I myself am a dog lover.
Whether they be family pet or a working dog, they are indeed, "mans best friend".
[size=75][url=http://photobucket.com/albums/v179/retep910/S10/]2002 S10 Ext. Cab 4x4 Indigo Blue[/url]
Extang Black Max Tonneau, Rubber Bed Mat, Vent Visors, Bugflector II, SilverStar headlights, Dark Window Tint, Disabled DRL, Debadged, K&N Filter, Skid Plates, 1.25" Rear Wheel Spacers, Boise 3 aal kit, mild T-bar crank, Dueler A/T Revo[/size]
top_sgt
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by top_sgt »

you and your partner have my respect!!! "salute!!"
2004 S10 CC ZR5 4x4 >> traded for a 2006 F150 supercrew!!
malkavian
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by malkavian »

f9k9 I have always wondered what they do with police dogs when they retire them? I know a lady here in Huntsville that trains all the drug dogs and I never have thought to ask her.
[size=75]2006 Silvarado with 5.3 tow haul package, and 1993 jeep grand cherokee starting the build on it this summer.[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

malkavian wrote:f9k9 I have always wondered what they do with police dogs when they retire them? I know a lady here in Huntsville that trains all the drug dogs and I never have thought to ask her.

Most agencies allow the handler to keep them after retirement. I can't imagine a handler denying the offer. There are provisions for euthanasia (sp?) but, again I have not personally known of that happening. In the Federal Govt there was a time until the mid 90s that the handler paid $1.00 for the surplus government property. Congress changed that where it is a simple property transfer.

She was young enough to have gone on working but, my boss allowed her to retire.

The pics were part of a retirement gift from the local agents. A studio photographer session.

The photographer decided to try to use a squeaky toy to get her attention without asking me. Luckily I was close enough to physically and verbally "call her off" and deflect her while she was airborne to get that toy :lol:
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

startin to make me want a dog again
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

jeff024 wrote:startin to make me want a dog again
I knew when I posted this that it would turn around and bite me hard. Heck, I like all of you so may as well share some words with you that my wife ordered on a plaque for me yesterday. Having been a handler for so long, I thought I had seen all of the poems, memorials and mushy stuff out there on the market but, this one says it the best that I have ever seen or felt.

The Guardians Of The Night

Trust in me my friend, for I am your comrade.
I will protect you with my last breath
When all others have left you
And the loneliness of night closes in,
I will be at your side.

Together we will conquer all obstacles,
And search out those who wish to do harm to others.
All I ask of you is compassion,
And the caring touch of your hands.

It is for you that I will unselfishly give my life
And spend my nights unrested.
Although our days together
May be marked by the passing of the seasons
Know that each day by your side is my reward.

My days are measured by
The coming and going of your footsteps.
I anticipate them at every opening of the door.
You are the voice of caring when I am ill,
The voice of authority when I have done wrong.

Do not chastise me unduly,
For I am your right arm,
The sword at your side.
I attempt to do only what you bid of me.
I seek only to please you and remain in your favor.

Together you and I shall experience
A bond only others like us will understand.
When outsiders see us together,
Their envy will be measured by their disdain.

I will quietly listen to you
And pass no judgment,
Nor will your spoken words be repeated.
I will remain ever silent,
ever vigilant, ever loyal.

And when our time together is done
And you move on in the world
Remember me with kind thoughts and tales,
For a time we were unbeatable,
Nothing passed among us undetected

If we should meet again on another street
I will gladly take up your fight,
I am a Police Working Dog
We are the guardians of the night.

:cheers:
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

may be mushy BUT a great poem :)
top_sgt
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by top_sgt »

now..........where's my kleenex!!
coreylubahn

Post by coreylubahn »

From one dog lover to another my deepest condolences on your loss!! Also, what a beautiful poem, absolutely awesome!
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

FOOTNOTE

I really want to thank you all from the bottom of my heart.

I had emailed a few friends that are still working in the Agency with the pics.

Yesterday, when I checked my email, I had emails from agents in Vermont to California offering their support. Apparently someone I emailed forwarded it to whoever edits the agency's weekly law enforcement newsletter and it went out complete with one of the pics.

I was contacted and asked if I would give permission for the studio to sell the prints to individuals in the agency and for one to be hung in the DC hdqtrs office.

Now, I am at a loss of words.

Again, I want to thank you all and now you will be returned to your regurlarly scheduled programing of lifting, modding, whinning, needling and having fun:)
border man
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by border man »

I'm not a big dog lover, but I will tell you thing. I have the utmost respect for working dogs. They are an invaluable assett to law enforcement. Here at my station, we have 7 K9's and between them, they have seized huge amounts of dope/aliens. I have seen them protect their partners with unimaginable loyalty.
[size=75]I didn't do it, it was already like that when I got it.[/size]
coffeedrnkr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by coffeedrnkr »

I am more of a cat man myself, but they dont do what I tell them to :|

I know you loved that dog, from the couple of times that I have talked to you one on one, you talked about your dog like it was a true family member and I respect that.

:cheers: to the good retired cop Gretta!!!!!
[size=75][url=http://s80.photobucket.com/albums/j162/coffeedrnkr15/]The Crazyblaze[/url]
d44/d60 5.13's, atlas 3.8
[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I was just outside with my pup, Rudy and we paid our respects. It really doesn't feel like a year has past.

I will spill my drink for her
. :cheers:
A toast to her, ones like her and most importantly, to our troops :cheers:
kauaibuilt47
Crew
Crew

Post by kauaibuilt47 »

No person was ever honored for what he received. Honor has been awarded for what he gave.
~Calvin Coolidge

RIP
[size=75]Never get into an argument with an idiot. They only bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.[/size]
top_sgt
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by top_sgt »

BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

Sorry to hear of your lose. A dog can definitely be like part of the family.
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew , A.R.E Cap, Limo tint windows, Halogen Back up lights. Bilstein Shocks, 1.5 Rear Spacers, Summit Rear Diff Cover Clear Bumper Lights, Carbon Altezza Tail Lights, Billet Grill. SS Step Bars. GM full front bra. ,,, GM Quote concerning the gurgling heater core " They all sound like that"[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

BADs Crew wrote:Sorry to hear of your lose. A dog can definitely be like part of the family.

Thanks Bad but, it's been a year and am ok with it all now. Partners can sometimes be closer than family. She was a good one and I went with a female to be my last partner because of their smaller size and longevity. My working dog before Gretta was a "legend". He was a large male raised and trained in the German alps and was named "Dux" (pronounced "Dukes"). Dux made it to 13. Gretta was under 9 yrs old and well exercised and that is why it hit Sue and I so hard that night one year ago.
S10CREW01
Crew
Crew

Post by S10CREW01 »

From those that serve we "salute you!!"
[size=75]<<~~o00o~~~~~~~~~~~~"°º©[b] S10CREW01 - Proud to serve US NAVY[/b]©º°"~~~~~~~~~~~~o00o~~>>
[b][u]MOD LIST:[/b][/u]
2001 S10 Crew Cab; 2" body lift; K&N drop in filter and the Airbox mod; Hot foot MOD; Autodim mirrior; Clear Bumper Lights; Westin Safari Light Bar w/ 100watt 6" Lights; Westin Nerf Bars; Low Profile 'TonneauMasters' Tonneau Cover; Quad Light MOD; Backup Lights * * *[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

My dog went off duty today. Her hips bad, eyesight gone and mostly deaf. Our best guess is she was about 18 years old.
My wife, stronger than i took her to the vet to be put down.
RIP.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
rlrnr53
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by rlrnr53 »

HJ, I know that you will feel the loss for a long time. I hope your family is taking it as well as can be expected. May your memories of her be happy ones.
[size=75]Mitch
2001 Polo Green Metallic, no mods,(can't afford any)[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:My dog went off duty today. Her hips bad, eyesight gone and mostly deaf. Our best guess is she was about 18 years old.
My wife, stronger than i took her to the vet to be put down.
RIP.

She had a good long life and I spill my drink for her tonight. I am sorry and do not know what else to say. You know my heart is with BLT today.
purduecrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by purduecrew »

I haven't experienced a loss of "mans best friend", but I know the joy, love, and friendship that one can bring into your life at the darkest times!!!
God bless your four legged friend and may he always make you smile!
[size=75]2003 Black CC
Hot Feet Fix - Quad Light Mod - 30x9.5 BFG A/T -PA3's - Boise Spring Works Kit - PCM TUNE
COMING: ?[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

rickscrewcab
Crew
Crew

Post by rickscrewcab »

The Rainbow Bridge
inspired by a Norse legend

By the edge of a woods, at the foot of a hill,
Is a lush, green meadow where time stands still.
Where the friends of man and woman do run,
When their time on earth is over and done.

For here, between this world and the next,
Is a place where each beloved creature finds rest.
On this golden land, they wait and they play,
Till the Rainbow Bridge they cross over one day.

No more do they suffer, in pain or in sadness,
For here they are whole, their lives filled with gladness.
Their limbs are restored, their health renewed,
Their bodies have healed, with strength imbued.

They romp through the grass, without even a care,
Until one day they start, and sniff at the air.
All ears prick forward, eyes dart front and back,
Then all of a sudden, one breaks from the pack.

For just at that instant, their eyes have met;
Together again, both person and pet.
So they run to each other, these friends from long past,
The time of their parting is over at last.

The sadness they felt while they were apart,
Has turned into joy once more in each heart.
They embrace with a love that will last forever,
And then, side-by-side, they cross over… together.

From the proud owner of 2 german shepherd dogs.
[size=75]2003 crewcab-flowmaster muffler w/dual exhaust and 12" stainless steel tips, cold air intake, color matched bug deflector, LED taillights, Lund tri-fold tonneau, projector foglights, clear corner lights, neft bars, billet grill, Huskey floor mats, molded mud flaps and a Hunter Grill guard. Mods for next years budget...2" body lift, fender flairs, bigger wheels and tires, CB radio.[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

AP News wrote: A U.S. Forest Service officer was fatally shot Saturday at an Olympic Peninsula campground, and the suspected killer died hours later in a shootout with two sheriff's deputies, the Washington State Patrol said.

Officer Kristine Fairbanks, 51, a canine officer with 15 years in the federal forest service, called the state patrol about 2:40 p.m. to run a check on a man and a van without license plates at the Dungeness Forks campground about five miles inside the Olympic National Forest, state Trooper Krista D. Hedstrom said.

When troopers called back and got no response from Fairbanks, they went to the scene and found her shot to death. Her police dog was unharmed in her vehicle and the van was nowhere in sight.

About 9:30 p.m., the man authorities were seeking in the shooting, 36-year-old Shawn Roe, entered a gasoline station and convenience store near the Seven Cedars Casino on U.S. Highway 101 and encountered two sheriff's deputies who were involved in the search.

Roe exchanged gunfire with the deputies and died at the scene, Hedstrom said.

The shootings occurred on the northern Olympic Peninsula about 50 miles west of Seattle.
Kristine was a good cop! She came on when we were really struggling to get our K-9 program off the ground!

roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Dittos the toast! For both human and man's best friend as well as those "still on patrol".
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
DLP
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by DLP »

Cheers to the dog that "did hunt"!
[size=75][b][color=blue]2003 Blue Crewcab[/b][/color][/size]
EKperformance

Post by EKperformance »

i had a dog(black lab mix) i got her when i was 4 and i had her till i was almost 20, she passed november of 2007, she was my best friend and the best dog i have met. she wasnt just a dog at all. she actualy saved my life when i was about 6. i me and her were walking in a field when we came upon a rattle snake, the snake went to bite me and she caught it in her mouth and shook it till its neck popped. man i miss that dog
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Pretty much acknowledged as "man's best friend". :D I have a ton of good stories about them and three former partners buried out back.

I'm down to just trying to keep my wife's parrot alive for aggravating my current German Shepard and giving commands to her in German. :lol: