Ford or GM diesel

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

Justin
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Ford or GM diesel

Post by Justin »

I've been racking my brain for the past month as to which truck I would like to purchase in the near future. I'm looking for a crewcab longbox or shortbox 4x4 diesel and I'm not getting any help asking GM fans and Ford fans because they have favoritism. The truck will be primarily used for work and pulling as I intend to start a CM company. I've heard bad things about the powerstrokes and bad things about the allisons in the D-Max and the front ends on the D-max. I don't know if anyone has any input but it would greatly be appreciated. If a truck costs $42k, it had better work and not be at the dealer. I would just like peoples opinions...

thanks,
justin
[size=75]05 Sierra LLY "Silver Bull"[/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

its all about fords :lol:

just picking. i too have been shopping for years for the same truck. they are both good trucks BUT if you want an auto, get the chevy. if you get the ford, get a stick. sure fords auto's work but we are talking about abuse and daily wear and tear. also, fords are alot cheaper used. also, the new 6.0 liter is getting really good gas mileage compared to the old 7.3. personally, would get the ford, if not, then dodge because of the price.

but i love my 1983 ford way too much. it will out tow anyone on the freeway :evil: i like to race when towing :lol: cant beat a newly built 460!!!
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
kf6kmx
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kf6kmx »

Buy a Dodge... :wink:

Actually, in my honest opinion, the Cummins in the Dodge is the most 'tried and true' so far. Its backed by the name Cummins, and, I think, still has an excellent warranty and track record. Performance mods are prevelant for it also since it has been around many more years than either of the other two.

Of the other two, the new Fords are pretty good.. In older Ford diesels the easiest answer was 'dont do it'.. Unless you added a Banks turbo to the non-turbo, it wouldnt get out of its own way.. I looked at a couple early 90's, late 80's Fords that were non turbo.. I think I fell asleep waiting for it to cross the intersection without a load :)
On another note, I am impressed with the new Ford integrated braking system for the trailer. It APPEARS to be true proportional and not a 'time based' or pendulum based system, although I havent tried to actually tow anything with one (yet).

The D-max Allsion is just the trany.. Which is probably the best trany of the 3.. Its a scaled version of the one they have is the class-A diesel motorhomes. The Dodge trany is supposed to be very good as well.. I have heard both ways as to if the Allison or the Dodge actually hold up better over the long-haul (pun intended).

I have been told by a friend with the D-Max and the Allison that it does a pretty good job of downhill engine braking without aftermarket 'jake' brakes (exhaust brakes, for the non-diesel folks :wink: ). They pull a gooseneck race trailer between the Central Valley and the LA Basin all the time, and said they have no trouble on the Grapevine with it and hardly use their brakes on the downhill there.

Hope that helps a little :)
[size=75]-Scott-----'03 CrewCab S10 - Pewter
[url]http://www.kf6kmx.net/s10tracker.asp[/url]<-- Follow this link to find my trucks current actual location! Updated whenever the ignition is on. (tracker radio is currently intermittant) Pioneer XM, MagnaFlow, Garmin GPS,Tornado AMS , APRS Tracker, 2m/440 Ham Radio, Vista Camper Shell (from SoCalDave) , JottoDesk laptop mount, Rancho 5000's, Revo 235 75R15 on stock rims[/size]
Justin
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Justin »

I guess it comes down to
A) personal preference
B) price

I have always been a GM guy and just recently, I fell in love with this truck.
It's a 2005 Ford F-350 Amarillo Edition..1500 produced for 2005 and only available in southern states. I found a dealer in Texas that has 5 on the lot and I have been negotiating via email (not the best way).

Purchase time is End of April/Beginning of May and if there is one available at a decent price, I may drive down with the crew as a trade. But, GMS is tough to beat. A GMC 3500 Sierra Crew 4x4 D-max has a GMS of 36k. If I can get the ford for around $40k, then I may get that

kf6kmx, I will stop by a dodge dealer and just look. I've driven fords and GM's...Never dodge..Can't hurt to look..
top_sgt
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by top_sgt »

i see alot of the horse people here in kentucky using the ford's to pull their horse trailers...a few GM"S,, and no dodges!!! most of the horse farms use ford's...and a few of them swear by them.....if this helps!!
2004 S10 CC ZR5 4x4 >> traded for a 2006 F150 supercrew!!
border man
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by border man »

We have several Dodge 3/4 diesel pickups in our fleet and all I can say is that they are terrible. The engines are great, but not one has gone for more than six months without major transmission problems. Even the new hemis have all had problems. Dodge transmissions are weak and can not handle severe use. Even our dodge vans have all had these problems. Try pulling into traffic from the median of I-10 during rush hour then having the transmission drop into neutral while you have 10 detainees on board.. :shock: Not fun..
On the other hand, we also have several F-250s and Chevy 2500HDs. As far as I can tell, the only problem we have had with the fords are bad drivers mixed with open range(picture the dear/trailblazer). Several are over the 200,000 mark and again this is severe duty use. The chevys just arrived late last year so they are all fairly new and driven by the supervisors so I can't really comment on their dependability. I do know that just by looking at their front drive components, they look pretty weak. The tie rods are very small diameter and look almost exactly like the ones on our tahoes. :?
[size=75]I didn't do it, it was already like that when I got it.[/size]
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

Dodge is known for their weak trannys. If there was an Allison tranny behind that Cummins, it would be no contest. I like the GM's for the tranny, but the Fords are SFA, so that makes the decision for me. :D
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

everybody knows automatics and deisels dont mix. he knows not to get an auto. but if you are deadset on one, then get a chevy
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
Justin
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Justin »

Well, It's decided. GM is introducing a new allison transmission, the 6 speed auto to basically lower rpm's on highway speeds and give a little more low end grunt. They say this could help with MPG. I guess that ford powerstroke 6.0L is giving people trouble. Even people on the ford diesel forum are suggesting that I get a GM!!!!
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

Id go with a dodge heres the guy next doors behind my truck he has added a few HP to it now the Cummings has 535hp and will smoke all 4
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

Diesel performance kits and programmers are readily available for all the big 3 manufacturers. Other than the fact that the 4x4 isn't SFA, I'd get the GM also.
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
Bad_Ass_S10
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Bad_Ass_S10 »

the new ford 6.0 deisel is nothing but problems, try to find an older truck with the 7.3 or you will be sorry, I heard that Ford will be discontinueing the 6.0 soon and looking for another to replace it, but as soon as dodge changes their body style, ford is going wiht the cummins since ford owns cummins but can't go with it now since dodge and cummins has a contract

but this what a buddy said that works at a Ford dealership
[size=75]GO BIG or Go Home
SFA - Dana 44 - front & rear - 4.88 gears - 39.5x15x20's[/size]
Justin
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Justin »

there are guys at www.thedieselstop.com who are 50/50 with the 6.0L. main problems are EGR, turbo, and injectors. Torqshift tranny has had recalls. At www.thedieselplace.com , there it is just GM and the only problem I see is the EGR and the transmission is bulletproof.. Also, GM's get better gas mileage as is. I went to a local GMC dealer today and they had a crewcab diesel 3500 but it had a few options I didn't want..onstar, Bose and towing mirrors..Also it was white.

I'd prefer black, blue or deep red. I am going to list my crew on www.autotrader.com for a few months and see if it gets any attention. After March, I will order the truck and if I don't sell the crew personally, I willjust trade it in at the time of delivery...