warnoffroad's old zr5 siting

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

bad bowtie
Regular
Regular

warnoffroad's old zr5 siting

Post by bad bowtie »

I just saw at my local car dealership it warnoffroads old yellow zr5. I is alot bigger in person. It is set up nicely. Question for warnoffroad, Why did you sell your truck and how did it ride with that solid axle? I was tempted to test drive it but they would like to have my current truck which is a 2001 f-150 with 9" of lift and 37" tires. There is no price on it but I am going to call them to see what they are asking.
2002 crewcab ZR5 -- dark metallic blue , 2" PA bodylift , 1.5"torsion bar and shackle lift , 31" BFG all-terrians , K&N airfilter and 40 series , Flowmaster exhaust , Leer 100XQ cap , AND MUCH MORE!!
jeggers
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by jeggers »

SO HOW MUCH FOR THE TRUCK? WHERE IS THE DEALER? WHAT KIND OF AXLE IS UP FRONT? :) :roflmao:

NO NEED TO SHOUT! We can hear you ;) -HJ
2001 cc 2" pa body lift traded
2004 cc zr5 2" pa body lift 6" super lift 2" rear shackle and tb crank traded for a v-max Silverado
2006 V-max cc
2001 ex cab 4x4 ls work truck rufff country 2" lift sold
2012 silverado WT 2wd
bad bowtie
Regular
Regular

Post by bad bowtie »

Just looked tonight and they were asking $25995 with 13000 miles on it. I don't know what axle is on it. It is located in West Bend, WI at Kearns
2002 crewcab ZR5 -- dark metallic blue , 2" PA bodylift , 1.5"torsion bar and shackle lift , 31" BFG all-terrians , K&N airfilter and 40 series , Flowmaster exhaust , Leer 100XQ cap , AND MUCH MORE!!
bad bowtie
Regular
Regular

Post by bad bowtie »

Here is the web site page.
jeggers
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by jeggers »

:D thanks .
2001 cc 2" pa body lift traded
2004 cc zr5 2" pa body lift 6" super lift 2" rear shackle and tb crank traded for a v-max Silverado
2006 V-max cc
2001 ex cab 4x4 ls work truck rufff country 2" lift sold
2012 silverado WT 2wd
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

jeggers wrote:SO HOW MUCH FOR THE TRUCK? WHERE IS THE DEALER? WHAT KIND OF AXLE IS UP FRONT? :) :roflmao:

NO NEED TO SHOUT! We can hear you ;) -HJ
If I remember right, it has a Dana 44 in front and a Dana 60 in the rear. I think he had a 44 in the rear too when it was first built but he somehow managed to break it. The lift, etc was done by Chuck's Trucks which does a lot of mud boggers and monster trucks.[/url]
Justin
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Justin »

truck was built in florida and is now in wisconsin... I know that truck gets alot of praise on this site but why would the 2nd owner (from warnoffroad) trade it in that quick? It, to me isn't an everyday practical driver which targets alot of customers. It should be sold in TX or FL. I doubt the guy who buys it and trys to get it inspected, gets a pass right away...
[size=75]05 Sierra LLY "Silver Bull"[/size]
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

Justin wrote:truck was built in florida and is now in wisconsin... I know that truck gets alot of praise on this site but why would the 2nd owner (from warnoffroad) trade it in that quick? It, to me isn't an everyday practical driver which targets alot of customers. It should be sold in TX or FL. I doubt the guy who buys it and trys to get it inspected, gets a pass right away...
My guess is the truck doesn't drive anywhere near as nice as it looks, although it's probably great off road. There's a reason why most manufacturers went to IFS. It drives and handles far better on the street than the old solid axle and leaf spring setup. Since I don't think any of us ever drove Warn's truck, other than Warn of course, we can't really say but I've driven SFA rigs with extreme lifts and big tires and can tell you that they can scare the h*ll out of you when they hit a bump at highway speeds. They tend to wallow around in the lanes, pretty much going anywhere but where you are pointing them, especially in a cross wind. While most here wouldn't mind too much, "Joe Average" off the street isn't going to like it much to say the least.

I'll bet you are right on the inspection issue too. Whoever buys it may have a lot of problems with getting it legal in most states. $25,000 is a lot to spend on something that you can only trailer to an off road site.
coreylubahn

Post by coreylubahn »

Inspection, schmection. We don't have no stinking inspections here in the midwest (at least not in Iowa and I don't believe any of our neighbors do either). We do have a voluntary "turn in a smoking (tailpipes) car" and then they will get a nice little pamphlet detailing how they should get their car fixed (although there is no penalty if they don't). I guess we grow enough corn which gives off enough oxygen that we don't worry about how much pollutants we're putting off. That may be why the truck ended up in Wisconsin (if I'm right about the no inspection thing). Just a thought...but I know I can rip my catalytic converter off, my pre-cat and my muffler and no one in Iowa cares...great isn't it!!
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

coreylubahn wrote:Inspection, schmection. We don't have no stinking inspections here in the midwest (at least not in Iowa and I don't believe any of our neighbors do either). We do have a voluntary "turn in a smoking (tailpipes) car" and then they will get a nice little pamphlet detailing how they should get their car fixed (although there is no penalty if they don't). I guess we grow enough corn which gives off enough oxygen that we don't worry about how much pollutants we're putting off. That may be why the truck ended up in Wisconsin (if I'm right about the no inspection thing). Just a thought...but I know I can rip my catalytic converter off, my pre-cat and my muffler and no one in Iowa cares...great isn't it!!

Actually, it wasn't emissions type inspections I was talking about. He probably never messed with any of that. Most states have a lot of stupid (IMO) lift laws that limit bumper height, tires sticking out of fenders, etc. I've heard about some places in Canada will even inspect a lifted truck for the quality of lift. In other words, if they think it wasn't done right, you don't drive it! It's saftey type inspections where you could have trouble with something like Warn's truck.
bad bowtie
Regular
Regular

Post by bad bowtie »

It wouldn't pass inspection at all. I looked at it and it is not even close to pass. The tires are out too far and the lift is too big for a s-10. max lift is 6" suspension and 3" body and 5" bigger tires
Justin
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Justin »

he should have left it like it was when he first did the SAS.. He had 35's and an axle under spring up front. Truck was maybe 6-10" higher than normal and looked really well built and street worthy....

[size=75]05 Sierra LLY "Silver Bull"[/size]
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

Yeah, it looked really good right at that point. Then he started getting carried away with it.

I knew a guy who did the same thing with a Toyota he had (early model with solid front axle). He started out with a modest lift and 33's and it looked really nice. Then he went nuts. Next thing we knew he had all kinds of home made suspension lift and 44's on it. He couldn't even connect the front driveshaft, the angles were so bad and the steering was almost nonexistant. He just ran around in 2wd, blowing out rear axles all over the place. The thing was an unholy terror to ride in (I refused) and really looked ridiculous. Finally he rolled it. We figure the poor truck was put out of it's misery!
Warnoffroad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Warnoffroad »

Justin wrote:truck was built in florida and is now in wisconsin... I know that truck gets alot of praise on this site but why would the 2nd owner (from warnoffroad) trade it in that quick? It, to me isn't an everyday practical driver which targets alot of customers. It should be sold in TX or FL. I doubt the guy who buys it and trys to get it inspected, gets a pass right away...
There was no real second owner, just whent from dealer to dealer, I sold it to a local dealer who put it on a lift to attract attention or somthing, it was only there for a week or so, and thats the last i heard of it. D44 in the front and custom D60 in the rear with 5.13 gears.
[size=75]02 ZR5 CC, SFA D44 front, D60 rear, 40" IROKs, np200 2nd t-case. SOLD
05 F-350 CC FX4 Diesel, 7" lift 37" toyos, 14.18 1/4 mile ET[/size]
Warnoffroad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Warnoffroad »

Rusty wrote:
My guess is the truck doesn't drive anywhere near as nice as it looks, although it's probably great off road. There's a reason why most manufacturers went to IFS. It drives and handles far better on the street than the old solid axle and leaf spring setup. Since I don't think any of us ever drove Warn's truck, other than Warn of course, we can't really say but I've driven SFA rigs with extreme lifts and big tires and can tell you that they can scare the h*ll out of you when they hit a bump at highway speeds. They tend to wallow around in the lanes, pretty much going anywhere but where you are pointing them, especially in a cross wind. While most here wouldn't mind too much, "Joe Average" off the street isn't going to like it much to say the least.

I'll bet you are right on the inspection issue too. Whoever buys it may have a lot of problems with getting it legal in most states. $25,000 is a lot to spend on something that you can only trailer to an off road site.
It actually wasnt bad at all as far as being smooth on the street, just impractical. It was fun while it lasted now im on to bigger and better things. Im currently building a K5 with HPD60 front and 14 bolt rear 383 roller motor th400 tanny, 19" suspension lift, and 49s and warn winches front and rear, should be rolling on its own here in the next month or so.
Warnoffroad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Warnoffroad »

Justin wrote:he should have left it like it was when he first did the SAS.. He had 35's and an axle under spring up front. Truck was maybe 6-10" higher than normal and looked really well built and street worthy....

had about 12" suspension lift at that stage. But the lift bug grew , and it was only $40 for 5" axle blocks for the rear, and $20 for spring purchas in the front, so I couldnt help but slap them in.
Warnoffroad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Warnoffroad »

bad bowtie wrote:Here is the web site page.
Looks like they took of those stupid swamper STS i had on there on put on some good meats :D
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

Warnoffroad wrote:
Rusty wrote:

It actually wasnt bad at all as far as being smooth on the street, just impractical. It was fun while it lasted now im on to bigger and better things. Im currently building a K5 with HPD60 front and 14 bolt rear 383 roller motor th400 tanny, 19" suspension lift, and 49s and warn winches front and rear, should be rolling on its own here in the next month or so.
Well, Hello! Long time no hear from you! You'll probably remember a while back I was going to build a "Monster truck" S10 Blazer. At least that's what my son called it. That idea (and the Blazer) no longer exist. Just like you said, too impractical. I figure I might go off road maybe twice a year so who needed all the stuff I was going to do for what was really a daily street driver. I have another Blazer but I'll probably leave it alone or maybe do a 5-6" SL and some 31"s. I still have the axles from the other one though. Just can't quite make up my mind on it.
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

Yea, that was the sweet spot, when it had 35's and Spring under in front. That looked sweet. I bet it drove great also.
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]