Pulling power

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

robbtodd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Pulling power

Post by robbtodd »

I am looking to increase my 02 CC pulling power because I am going to pull a camper. I have installed my K & N Air intake and I am installing my Gibson exhaust. I plan on buying the Hypertech programmer today. Does anyone have any other suggestions?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

What gears do you have?

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
robbtodd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by robbtodd »

Where do I find that information?
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

it's on the sticker inside your glove box

or, you could pull the cover off the transaxle and count the teeth :D
robbtodd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by robbtodd »

I looked in the Glove box and find a sticker with a bunch of numbers
is there a certain number that I should be looking for?
kwalsh
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kwalsh »

Hopefully if you have these numbers:

GT4= Axle rear, 3.73 ratio

G80= Axle positraction, limited slip
[size=75]"Pain = weakness leaving the body."[/size]
robbtodd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by robbtodd »

I do have G80 but I did not see the GT4. Do I have a problem?
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

robbtodd wrote:I do have G80 but I did not see the GT4. Do I have a problem?
hmmm as far as i know, the g-80 only came with 3.73 gears. if you have 3.73 gears, thats great! also, keep them 29's on there too. more torque for towing
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
robbtodd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by robbtodd »

Thanks for the help! I do not think that I am going to have trouble towing the camper. I just want to make sure that I have the x-tra push if I need it.
kwalsh
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kwalsh »

You can always add a shift kit, something like a Transgo Performance kit
for our 4L60E tranny.
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

robbtodd wrote:I looked in the Glove box and find a sticker with a bunch of numbers
is there a certain number that I should be looking for?
from the link I posted...
marks10cc wrote: G80 Axle Positraction Limited, Slip

GT4 Axle Rear 3.73 Ratio (Dup with 5X1)

GT5 Axle Rear 4.10 Ratio (Dup with GT8)

GU4 Axle Rear 3.08 Ratio

GU6 Axle Rear 3.42 Ratio
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

get trailer brakes :wink:
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
robbtodd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by robbtodd »

1. I looked in the Glove box and I have the GU6. How is that going to effect my towing capability?
2. I put on the Gibson exhaust last night. Overall "piece of cake" The only problem that I have is that it rides to close to the frame which is causing some rattle noise. Thank GOD I have a Brother-in-law who owns a body shop. He said that he can fix that. The exhaust does look nice and it does make it sound a little tougher.
3. My Hypertech power programmer should have today. Does anyone have any suggestions on how and what setting to put on it?
kwalsh
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kwalsh »

Select Yes on the shift firmness option.

To get more info on the HPPIII, do a search.... there are a few lengthy threads on this subject.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

robbtodd wrote:1. I looked in the Glove box and I have the GU6. How is that going to effect my towing capability?
Start saving your money now for a gear change, or find a good set of axles from someone who did a SFA conversion.

You are not going to be pleased with the towing abilities and the 3.42 ratio.

Sorry for the bad news, but a lower ratio is going to be your best improvement for towing.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

HenryJ wrote:
robbtodd wrote:1. I looked in the Glove box and I have the GU6. How is that going to effect my towing capability?
Start saving your money now for a gear change, or find a good set of axles from someone who did a SFA conversion.

You are not going to be pleased with the towing abilities and the 3.42 ratio.

Sorry for the bad news, but a lower ratio is going to be your best improvement for towing.
i thought he said he had the G-80 :?:
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
Retep
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Retep »

a2b wrote:i thought he said he had the G-80 :?:
Yeah, I didn't think you could get G80 with GU6.

Pete
[size=75][url=http://photobucket.com/albums/v179/retep910/S10/]2002 S10 Ext. Cab 4x4 Indigo Blue[/url]
Extang Black Max Tonneau, Rubber Bed Mat, Vent Visors, Bugflector II, SilverStar headlights, Dark Window Tint, Disabled DRL, Debadged, K&N Filter, Skid Plates, 1.25" Rear Wheel Spacers, Boise 3 aal kit, mild T-bar crank, Dueler A/T Revo[/size]
badandy2003cc4x4
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by badandy2003cc4x4 »

go the rice way install nos for the steep hills :lol:

sorry couldn't resist but maybe the super charger if money is not a problem more power is always better
also if the camper is higher than the truck try a wind jammer for less drag
[size=75]2003 Sonoma SLS Akimoto conical air filter, soft tonneauver[/size]
Bad_Ass_S10
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Bad_Ass_S10 »

if its gears or axles you need, I still have a front and rear with 3.73 and posi lock from the factory sitting in my shed out back
[size=75]GO BIG or Go Home
SFA - Dana 44 - front & rear - 4.88 gears - 39.5x15x20's[/size]
robbtodd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by robbtodd »

YEP!!! Mine has the 3.42 ration. I checked the owners manual. I am going to go ahead and try pulling the camper with what I have.

Cold Air Intake +19hp
Performance chip +12 hp
Gibson exhaust +10hp

I going to purchase the GoDan radiator for extra insurance on cooling the motor and tranny. I'll just have to watch and see what happens. I'll let everyone how it works.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

robbtodd wrote:...
Cold Air Intake +19hp
Performance chip +12 hp
Gibson exhaust +10hp

I going to purchase the GoDan radiator for extra insurance on cooling the motor and tranny....
I'm sure that you understand that those "claimed" increases are each on their own from stock.
You can not add one to the other and another.

All of them together you'll be lucky to see about 10 hp, IMO.

Be sure to add an external trans cooler to save that over worked transmission :D

- ThunderII KE7CSK
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

how heavy is this trailer and how far are you towing it? under what conditions? up/down hills? hot sun? loaded up truck and trailer? I mean I'm not understanding the concern here. Assuming you're within the spec trailer weight limit. I wouldn't be too concerned about horsepower. cooling the motor and trans... yeah... but, you can regulate that by adjusting your driving.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

barch97 wrote:... you can regulate that by adjusting your driving.
Very true.

I think we are all worried because so many seem to be disappointed and sell out to a fullsize for better power and mileage while towing.
Hobie had a similar situation and look what happened to him...He sold the crew and bought and old Ford :roll:

- ThunderII KE7CSK
robbtodd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by robbtodd »

1. Camper Infor: GVWR 4375 lbs, Rule of thumb for what you will load 700 lbs. I was told by my friends that do camp that I estimated to high for weekend trips. If you were going someplace for 1 week yes 700 - 800 lbs. but the load could be lighter depending on what you will be when you get where you want to go. Lets say I will be towing 5000 lbs. I live in southern Indiana and travel to Kentucky and Tennessee. It does get hilly around here.

2. I have see people pulling campers that are bigger than mine with bigger trucks and yes the do go faster up the hills and on the highway. I was in Tennessee over the weekend and I saw yet another BIG truck pulling a camper that had flipped over. The camper was total destroyed and the front of the truck was smashed. This is not the first time that I have seen this. Going faster with a a trailer is not better.

3. I let eveyone know how the CC holds up while pulling. I look at it this way. If my truck can not pull the camper I will upgrade my wife's minivan and get the lift kit for the truck that I wanted anyway.
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

robbtodd wrote:1. Camper Infor: GVWR 4375 lbs, Rule of thumb for what you will load 700 lbs.
I thought the gm towing spec said 5,500lbs but according to the main page here it's "5200". in either case, these figures are estimates and are rounded to the side of safety not bragging rights. Towing 5k or less should not be a problem for a stock crewcab under the conditions you described.

As for trailers flipping over... no amount of horsepower is gonna cure that. leave yourself plenty of room ahead for braking and take it easy in the turns.

good luck and let us know how you make out.
robbtodd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by robbtodd »

I picked up the camper on Saturday. The truck seam to handle very well with the 27' (4400 lb) camper. Under normal driving conditions the truck w/o the camper runs @ Temp 199 (One mark below 210) and the oil runs @ 44 (One mark above above 40). When I pulled the camper it ran @ the same readings. My new Gibson exhaust tailpipe is turning bronze. I was able to go up one hill that was a 4% Grade and I could only go about 45 mph but I was not trying to push the truck either. Overall the truck ran better than I thought it would. I should get my new radiator this week. I'll put that on for extra insurance.
Brad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Brad »

I would buy a blower before I changed gears. I tow a 2500 lbs pop up camper and have 3.73s. Even before the I changed tires it struggled in the hills of Kentucky. My father has towed for 30 years with every kind of truck and is now satisfied with his new Duramax 3500.
Freinds don't let freinds crank torsion bars.
robbtodd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by robbtodd »

Brad, What do you think about how my truck is pulling this camper. You realy should not have a problem pulling a pop up camper. I will say this! I was very nervous about pulling a camper this size with my truck. I think that I will be fine once I get the new HD radiator installed. My main concern now is how well we can travel in a small truck on long rides. I already have plans to pull it again this weekend to southern Indiana where there are some more hills. I'll keep everyone informed about how this goes. I personaly can not afford a new Duramax.
Brad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Brad »

Me neither. I was just stating that he was never happy. I use an EZ lift torsion bar weight distributing hitch. It works good but is a PITA to hook up. You will find all you answers when you pull it in the rain on a curve filled road like I did. Just be careful cause your load weighs almost as much as your truck. I tore the sidewalls on my original Goodyears when I towed to Lake Cumberland Kentucky. Since my lift it feels more stable with 265/70/17s. I have not towed since I had the suspension lift done. I will find out soon. I hope I have been clear since I tend to have unconnected thoughts. :idea:

Brad
Freinds don't let freinds crank torsion bars.
robbtodd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by robbtodd »

I am leaving Friday to go camping in southern Indiana and this will be the first in a series of test to see how the S-10 CC will hold up. I am going to have the camper loaded for the weekend along with my family in the vehicle. I'll let everyone know on Monday how it pulled.
NTXCrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by NTXCrew »

i pulled my band's 14' tandem-axle trailer around on the highway at 65 mph to move it around, and although she squatted pretty good, it's not the pulling power question that bothers me. heck, even with close to 5000 lbs behind me, the truck would still idle foward good if i let off the brake. it pulls like a beast. what scares me more is getting tossed around by a trailer that weighs more than my truck.

but we just bought a new van today. :D
no more 1994 Dodge B-250 conversion van...

ENTER: 2000 Ford E-350 Super Duty V10 15 passenger van. uhh...can we all say, "420 lb.-ft. of torque"? oh yeah.
2003 S-10 Crew Cab - Indigo Blue Metallic
Flowmaster 40 w/ turndown, Chopped Airbox, APC clear corners, Trenz billet bowtie, Shaved badges, Sylvania Silverstars, Xenon fogs
-Jim
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

NTXCrew wrote:what scares me more is getting tossed around by a trailer that weighs more than my truck.
Ever seen anyone towbar a full sized truck with a little one like ours (actually, he had a Toyota - even lighter)? I have and it was pretty scary to watch. He was all over the road trying to keep control. The bigger truck was just pushing him around. I got the heck away from that guy real fast! :shock:
robbtodd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by robbtodd »

I did OK pulling my camper to a state park in Southern Indiana. My only concern is that the transmission stays cool. I purchased a aux TOC to put on my truck but I have not found the time to put it on.

I have a sway control bar on my truck to help pull my camper. When I have been on the Interstate with the camper and a semi truck passes I couldn't feel the camper move at all.
KCustom
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by KCustom »

I have a pop up that weighs about 2700 dry..I pulled it for the first time this weekend with the lift and tires. I did not have any problem. I am looking to get a travel trailer and I have been told that I will need eq bars. I did add the trailer brake controler and a seven point hookup. I pulled the camper through Colorado before the lift and had no problems
2003 Sonoma Crew Cab, Superlift 6", PA 2" BL, KMC XD Enduros, BF Goodrich 315-70-17s, Powerdyne SC, JBA wires,headers and catback, CAI, Crossdrilled & Slotted rotors, Prerunner bar W/ fogs, bed mount spare, Custom rear buckets...